Traction control issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I have a PDF copy of the owners manual....you are correct about the page numbers, specifically 423-428 which apply to my transfer case.

However, there is nothing listed as a procedure for shifting BACK to 2WD. It only explains how to go into each 4WD mode.

So my question is...is there a special process to shift back and if its not done could it cause partial engagement of things (electromagnetic clutch, front axle, etc) that could lead to drivetrain vibration?

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I have a PDF copy of the owners manual....you are correct about the page numbers, specifically 423-428 which apply to my transfer case.

However, there is nothing listed as a procedure for shifting BACK to 2WD. It only explains how to go into each 4WD mode.

So my question is...is there a special process to shift back and if its not done could it cause partial engagement of things (electromagnetic clutch, front axle, etc) that could lead to drivetrain vibration?

pg 427....the procedure (preferred & alternate) are for shiftng the t-case....doesn't matter if it going to 4wd or going to 2wd

The '2wd -> 4wd auto or lock', and the '2wd or 4wd auto/lock -> 4wd low' paragraphs are simply giving you additional instruction specific to that shift. That's why the 2 procedures are after both of those paragraphs, not after each one.

It definitely could be written better..........it also relies a LOT on the light to let you know....and if that isn't working right....well...........................

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pg 427....the procedure (preferred & alternate) are for shiftng the t-case....doesn't matter if it going to 4wd or going to 2wd

The '2wd -> 4wd auto or lock', and the '2wd or 4wd auto/lock -> 4wd low' paragraphs are simply giving you additional instruction specific to that shift. That's why the 2 procedures are after both of those paragraphs, not after each one.

It definitely could be written better..........it also relies a LOT on the light to let you know....and if that isn't working right....well...........................

Thanks again.

If thats the case, there really is nothing to do other than press the 2WD button. Which Ive always done, so I guess Im performing the correct procedure :)

Wasn't sure if anything else was necessary. Coming from a 2001 Frontier that had an actual stick to engage 4WD and automatic locking hubs that required backing up to disengage.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ha ha.,...the 2012 is only my 2nd of many (over 12) 4wd trucks that doesn't/didn't have a lever for the t-case.

The 2008 Silverado I traded in on the 2012 was also a pushbutton t-case.

MT Hillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your truck would be stuck in 4x4 then you would hear nasty noises while making turns, particularly when parking.

To my understanding, Costa, newer Rams have a clutch pack system, so... even though it says lock.. it really is still going through clutch plates. So one doesn't get that lurching locked into 4x4 that we so enjoyed in the 80's :)