Trailer running lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just recently bought a 2019 Ram 1500 and I use it to pull my travel trailer, which it does very well. What I was wondering, was, the running lights on the camper used to come on as soon as I plugged them in on my old Silverado (which I had wired myself) and now the only way the lights come on is if I turn the truck headlights on. Is there a setting in the body computer to make the trailer lights come on with the headlights set on Auto? I have ventured into computer flashing with other problems and so I have all the necessary hardware/software.
Thanks,
Jim

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Running lights are only supposed to work with the headlights, that's how they are wired. That is not something you can change in the computer or setting. You would need to physically change the wiring so the "running lights" are fed by a constant feed.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wat was said ^^^ Ditto ^^^. Now, if plugged in, the system will read say if lights come on for Remote start, and the trailer lighting will come on since the circuit hot till U hit run, but other than that, the lights will only function when truck lighting on. But U know, there may be a work around somewhere I do not know.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Sounds like your Silverado’s 7way plug was wired wrong. Like maybe the marker lights were tied into the hot wire used for charging the battery pack? Any chance you had issues keeping the battery pack charged…… cuz maybe it was tied to the lights and was only charging the battery when your truck lights were on?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like your Silverado’s 7way plug was wired wrong. Like maybe the marker lights were tied into the hot wire used for charging the battery pack?
This is a good probability as those to terminals are next to each other next to the indexing tab.

OP
OP
D

Da Slug

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, I guess that is a possibility, like I said, I wired it myself, but I didn't have any charging problems that I know of and I used that truck for 15 years. I was thinking it was the way my Silverado's running lights were set up. Oh well, thanks anyway.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yes, I guess that is a possibility, like I said, I wired it myself, but I didn't have any charging problems that I know of and I used that truck for 15 years. I was thinking it was the way my Silverado's running lights were set up. Oh well, thanks anyway.
Definitely sounds like you had a problem with your Silverado - the running lights on the camper should ONLY work when the running lights on the truck are on. If they were on whenever you plugged into your old truck, then you either had a short, or had the charge/running light wires crossed.