Trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildWilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys. Little update. Muffler and Flares are being ordered as we speak...

My curiosity is elsewhere right now though...

So I've had a bit of a shifting issue for quite some time now, probably a year or so, and I think I know what it is, but I feel like I'd see what you guys thought.

I have a automatic transmission.

Often times I will find myself accelerating very slowly, I'm assuming that I'm starting in 3rd instead of first because if I drop it down to 1st manually, it has the pick up it should. Other times, it'll have lots of torque and accelerate quickly(seems like 2nd gear almost?) but it'll take a bit of pressure for it to shift out of it and I have to bring the rpms up past what it will normally shift at.

I had heard that this might just be a solenoid problem, and not much more. What do you guys think?

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
very well could be the solenoid pack. have you checked it for codes? when's the last time the transmission was serviced - fluid change, filter, and band adjustment? band adjustment is HUGE on the 46-48RE transmission. If the bands are way out, it will act soggy just like you are describing. also debris can get into the governor and cause it to hang up like that.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Judging by your description, it sounds like the governor solenoid is on its way out.

OP
OP
WildWilly

WildWilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have not checked if it was throwing any codes. I was thinking this could be something with it being serviced(or lack there of). I honestly don't think that the trans has been serviced since we bought the truck about four years ago and I say that with great shame. I'll probably take it down to our local trans place and get it looked at over our Christmas break. Thanks guys!

Silver Tex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi All,
99 Ram 1500 w/ 5.9L - believe 46RE and will confirm as we have the original window sticker.

Similar situation here - just started acting up.
Will do the tranny service and intend on changing out governor solenoid.

A couple of questions for those of you in the know.

1. Is there more than 1 component to the governor solenoid? I saw a you-tube that suggested a solenoid and a sensor. Rock Auto does not list an additional or related component, just the solenoid.

2. I have a sufficient amount ATF +3 fluid for this change (I know, I just discovered a case in my shop) and was wondering if it would be a bad thing to use it. I understand the +4 is the upgrade and performs better, just hate to waste a case of fluid.

Thanks,
Scott.