Trans or MDS issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup sounds like crap torque converter once again. I had same thing and I only have the "5 speed" auto. Even though they are basically the same. The converter being replaced fixed my issue got a tranny fluid flush and filters out of the deal too not that you would need that but I did.

$miley

Did you change the converter ???

ramtruck4life

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know exactly what you guys are talking about Nd I just drive around in "5" gear in town till I hit about 80km/h then ill kick it in back in auto so then Eco can kick on.. But wish their was a better way

MK12RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I noticed mine was acting a little "weird" when I had less than 1000 miles on it but now after 3500 miles everything runs good. Throttle response is better and down shifts happen when they need too (not often though because the 3.92 rear end I have helps with it pulling up hills). Sounds like the trucks are just "breaking in". Other things I've noticed is the exhaust has gotten alittle louder and that if you baby it too much the truck does become sluggish. Sometimes I get a nice rolling start and feed into the throttle and just open her up and seems to correct it. I think these motors need to be driven to keep them happy. The transmission even shifts better now than before. I've never experienced a break in like I have on this truck but she runs great right now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed mine was acting a little "weird" when I had less than 1000 miles on it but now after 3500 miles everything runs good. Throttle response is better and down shifts happen when they need too (not often though because the 3.92 rear end I have helps with it pulling up hills). Sounds like the trucks are just "breaking in". Other things I've noticed is the exhaust has gotten alittle louder and that if you baby it too much the truck does become sluggish. Sometimes I get a nice rolling start and feed into the throttle and just open her up and seems to correct it. I think these motors need to be driven to keep them happy. The transmission even shifts better now than before. I've never experienced a break in like I have on this truck but she runs great right now.

I have 5k miles on mine now and still have the same issues. In my case its not a matter of the break in, something is wrong.

Skip Dieter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2012 2500 with a Cummins, same problem. Constantly searching for gears and getting a horrible shudder in the upper gears. Dealer says nothing wrong and can't du.plicate the problem. I live in the mountains and this has become a real pain in the butt. I need a fix! Any suggestions other than driving this truck like it has a manual transmission.

Polaris Pro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if I have the same issue. Driving home from work during a snow emergency. Going about 40 mph due to the snow and drifts. Seems like the truck kept changing gears up and down constantly. Was very annoying and hard to drive because it was surging back and forth. Put it in manual mode but it didn't help. Could this be a torque converter problem? I was in 4 wheel drive because of the drifts and snow. Maybe a drive to the dealer? I have 17300 miles???!

JFTJR82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have heard a lot of people complaining or having problems with the MDS on their trucks. I have a '13 with the 5.7 Hemi and I have never had any issues with my MDS. I can hear it when it kicks in but it's barely noticeable, no vibrations or anything. I actually think it's great for road trips. I can get 25 mpg easily out of it for long distances with the MDS kicked in.

OP
OP
dtru1222

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those still wondering.

I have since traded my truck in for a Challenger but I realized that it was not the MDS. It was simply the shift points. For some reason when going up hill I would have to give it 70% throttle for it to downshift.

If anyone is having this issue, try to reset your TCM (not your PCM).

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
seriously..start romping on it more and the trans will learn how to shift more appropriately based on how you drive..if you normally baby it it will take more throttle to get it to downshift vs if you romp on it it will know to downshift sooner

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2