Trans Quick learn??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steermaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ok so I have a new transmission I am getting installed within the next few days, do I need to do a transmission quick learn?

here is the catch......

I ordered this trans, had it built, installed, and then trailered to the dealership to have it quick learned. They were able to get the PCM and TCM to take the quick learn, then when I went for a road test the transmission broke. I made it roughly 1.4 mile before it broke... Come to find out I didn't get the torque converter seated properly to begin with so thats why it broke. So I am thinking that I should not have to do the quick learn since it is just looking for new clutch volumes already.... Thanks everyone!

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Personally I would. I had to put a junkyard trans in my truck about 3 weeks ago, an got a quick learn done by a trans shop a couple miles from my place. I only got charged $20 so that's not much for the piece of mind

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
I wouldn't bother this go round. Your last transmission only made it through the upshifts maybe once. Not enough time for the transmission to 'learn' anything. All the quicklearn does is to reset/erase any of the old adaptive memories. Don't be in a hurry to get on your new transmission. It needs to be broken in properly. If you stab at it at wot from the get go, chances are you'll ruin it in short order if not immediately. No more than 25% throttle for the first 250 miles with lots of stop and go city driving, not highway miles. The transmission learns itself everytime it goes through an upshift or downshift and then sets the CVI's which are constantly changing. After your 250 mile break in, time to step it up on the throttle a tad, but no more than 30% throttle for the next hundred miles or so. Then I suggest you drive it to the dealer and have them scan and read the CVI numbers and write those numbers down...Do not let them perform a quicklearn at this time! ...Then call me with those recorded CVI numbers and if all is good to go, then it'll be time to step hard on the go pedal.

Last edited: