Transfer Case Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Can I use RedLine C in my transfer case? I have a 2011 with the 2H/4Auto/4WD/4L option.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know what does page 583 of your owners manual say?

Mopar atf 4 can be replaced by Redline c+, so yes you can put Redline c+ in your transfer case and transmission 100% sure on that. The 8 speed takes a different oil.

You are doing the dif as well? You likely wont need anti slip additive, but at least know if you feel shudder after putting redline in the dif, you will need anti friction. So far nobody on the board has needed it. Obviously your dif takes a different fluid.

OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know what does page 583 of your owners manual say?

Mopar atf 4 can be replaced by Redline c+, so yes you can put Redline c+ in your transfer case and transmission 100% sure on that. The 8 speed takes a different oil.

You are doing the dif as well? You likely wont need anti slip additive, but at least know if you feel shudder after putting redline in the dif, you will need anti friction. So far nobody on the board has needed it. Obviously your dif takes a different fluid.

It says ATF 4 for the transfer case, I came across something on another forum stating I had to use a special borge warner fluid only available at the dealer so just looking for a little clarity.

I'm just doing the transfer case right now because I've been getting the Service 4WD light intermittently this weekend, and now today it went away and the 4wd drive works flawlessly. So I just want to go ahead and change the fluid.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check what T-Case you have, I run it in my 2012 no issue since I dont have the AUTO function on mine.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It says ATF 4 for the transfer case, I came across something on another forum stating I had to use a special borge warner fluid only available at the dealer so just looking for a little clarity.

I'm just doing the transfer case right now because I've been getting the Service 4WD light intermittently this weekend, and now today it went away and the 4wd drive works flawlessly. So I just want to go ahead and change the fluid.

I have a 2010 but I looked at the 2011 owners manual and it states mopar atf 4 for your vehicle. So unless your owners manual is wrong, you should be good to go. I would say oil is not likely your issue. Those lights do happen, it ends up being a sensor or a switch somewhere.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would not worry about that light unless it was stuck on. Really, just save your redline oil change until your doing your tranny as well. Just curious, are you in snow?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Backwoods: The Auto feature is based around the very heavily Bashed BW44-44. (Clutch slip design).
Hemi395 in the past posted visual evidence that the so-called special BW fluid is nothing special at all. It is nothing but a Dex III equivalent

Use any ATF that meets the same certifications as Dex III.

I think he also posted visual evidence that Chrysler backdated a lot of these transfer cases so now they can use the ATF +4 which was posted above.
So in my mind that just tells me I can basically use any ATF that I can find and it will work perfectly fine.
Me personally I would run the same ATF in your transfer case that you are running in your transmission. This would simplify things greatly!

As for service interval on this transfer case that is a whole Other Can of Worms!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Backwoods

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would not worry about that light unless it was stuck on. Really, just save your redline oil change until your doing your tranny as well. Just curious, are you in snow?

The light came on for about two days and stayed on then went away, now the 4wd works fine. So being that's it's a little over 90,000 miles I'm just going to go ahead and change it since I'm going to get a transmission service done too (just going to have the dealer do that though). After thinking about it I'm going to do front and rear axle fluid too, but I'm going to use amsoil for that though since I can get it locally and that's what I use for engine oil.

Syn, thanks for the info, I remember reading somewhere that Red line isn't certified by Chrysler but it's actually better and a lot of guys use it in their transmissions on here. I was just a little confuse by the special Borg fluid even though it says ATF 4 in my manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk