Transfer case shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Has anyone ever had their truck tell them that it was going to shift into 4wd at high speeds. While camping this summer my wife had a heart attack and I had to drive to the hospital about 60kms away. I don’t really ever push my truck hard but I did that night. While I was driving at about 140-160kms an hour the truck said it was going to shift into 4wd so I slowed down and it stopped but it was still alarming. A shift into 4wd at that speed I think would be catastrophic. I realize that not everyone drives that fast (I hope not anyway) but it could happen to someone else

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Yeah this is normal for some trucks. Mine will Go into a 4x4 shift mode or service 4x4 mode if I'm hard launching it from 0-200km. after I'm Under 90km it goes normal and there's no trace of any codes which is weird. Dodge told me it's "normal" and these trucks aren't meant to be driven like this. It's a 2015.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Strange that it would do this in an HD truck, I've taken my 1500 right up to the built in speed limiter and the 4X4 never tried to engage.
It's probably debatable if the transfer case changing at those speeds would be catastrophic but it's not something that should be done intentionally.
Wondering if the "Shifting to 4WD" is possibly due to a loss of confirmation that the transfer case is in 2WD due to vibration?? just an random idea

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im sure it was just the transfer case positioning sensor malfunctioning. It will display this message even when you are not trying to put it in 4wd. It will most likely start to happen more often…at least thats what mine did.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Firstly, I hope your wife is doing well.

I have had both of mine, a 19 and the 22, up to the speed limiter multiple times and never experienced this. So maybe it’s a 4th gen thing? U.S. trucks are limited to ~98 mph (158 kph), I don’t know about Canadian models.

As an aside, before drivers of faster trucks start pitching in, this thread is specifically about Power Wagons.

OP
OP
4xdad

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Thanks for the reply everybody like I said I don’t drive like that often. The missus is fine. But it was quite concerning when I was flying down the mountain to think my transfer case was going to blow up at high speed and leave me stranded

Redfisher1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes its your position sensor in shift motor. Can replace for under a hundy… id first pull connector and clean + dielectric grease.

BearlyFunctioning

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The message of shifting into 4x4 can be a common problem with some trucks.

I have a 2017 Power Wagon that I will see that message sometimes 15 times in one day, other times it will go many month's without showing the message.

As far as speed being the issue I have found no relationship to higher speeds. My speed limiter kicks in @ 97mph (been there done that more than once) and i see it most at low speeds, sometimes at normal highway speeds, never at speed limiter speeds.

There is a sensor on top of the transfercase that a lot of people have replaced and it fixed the problem. There are other threads on here that describe all that is involved in replacing the sensor. It is simple to do, but apparently difficult to get to the sensor. Mine hasn't bothered me enough to fix it YET, but is trying my patience right now.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will get to the point that it will start flickering on the dash more frequently, regardless of speed.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The message of shifting into 4x4 can be a common problem with some trucks.

I have a 2017 Power Wagon that I will see that message sometimes 15 times in one day, other times it will go many month's without showing the message.

As far as speed being the issue I have found no relationship to higher speeds. My speed limiter kicks in @ 97mph (been there done that more than once) and i see it most at low speeds, sometimes at normal highway speeds, never at speed limiter speeds.

There is a sensor on top of the transfercase that a lot of people have replaced and it fixed the problem. There are other threads on here that describe all that is involved in replacing the sensor. It is simple to do, but apparently difficult to get to the sensor. Mine hasn't bothered me enough to fix it YET, but is trying my patience right now.
I think the worst part of it is undoing the damn electrical connection. They make those soooo difficult, and u cant even hardly get to it to begin with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat