Transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a ‘98 Dodge Ram sport with a 5.2. It has the transfer case lever on the floor. When I shift it into 4 high it doesn’t drive the front tires but it doesn’t affect the drive at all. It feels like it is engaging and I can hear the transfer case noise that it give off when in use.

I had trouble with the vacuum lines on the TC and it not shifting out of 4. That is not the case this time though because I checked.

Any ideas guys? I tried twisting the TC output shaft to the front and it seems like it hasn’t broke loose or anything . So I have no I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc bogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Theres an issue with the CAD if it doesnt drive the front tires and the front drive shaft is being driven in 4wd. Thats why I switched to a cable style CAD. Mine would disengage going through snow and cold water or even on cold days it wouldnt move the diaphragm far enough to engage the passenger side axle.

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
You talking about the solenoid on the front axle? I think the one on the TC is just for disengaging right?

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Yep the assembly on the axle. I converted to solid shaft to minimize moving parts

How often does the CAD go bad? From what I have read the vacuum lines are often a problem. I know that I am often breaking vacuum lines around my TC for some reason.

nc bogger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
You can have a broke vac line or the diaphragm in the actuator on the front axle can get a hole wore into it.

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
You can have a broke vac line or the diaphragm in the actuator on the front axle can get a hole wore into it.

I think I will just replace the whole thing with a cable system. Less problems in the future. Thanks for all the help.