Transmission change help..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jguaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doing my tune up today and realized after draining to what I thought
was my tranny, was actually my Tcase.

After reviewing online I've seen that you actually have to remove the
drain pan and that the filter is inside..

Question is;

With my 04, 1500, 5.7 Hemi,
does my pan have a reusable gasket, or do I get a kit
at a auto part store?

And is their anything else I should know before doing this tmrw..
I know it takes about 7 quarts to re-fill.

Thank you all for your help!
You've been great so far with advice. - (I'm learning a lot)

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
There are two filters inside the transmission, one is a screw on type like the oil filter and the other is a flat pancake filter that is pressed in and seals with an O ring. The O ring is a little difficult to replace and I've read that the using the right sized socket is a good way to insert and seat the new ring. 7 QTS sounds about right and the pan doesn't have a gasket, just RTV sealant. It'll get real messy when you take off the pan and some guys have installed a drain plug to make the next change easier. Have fun!

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A good way to prevent so much fluid from pouring out everywhere, is to get a hand pump for fluids, at your local auto parts store. Insert the suction hose into the trans. dipstick tube, push it down as far as it will go, put the outlet hose in a suitable container, and pump the old fluid into the container. This my have to be done twice. pump out all you can, wait a couple of hours, and pump out what is left. You will still get some more out of the pan when removing it, but it will not be the flood as usually happens. Good luck with the fluid and filter change. Be sure to insert the new O ring in the trans, NOT on the flat filter.