Transmission got stuck in 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First of all, my truck is an 08 1500 5.7 4wd. Today when I got in it and shifted into drive, it felt like it dropped into gear really hard. Hard enough that I could tell something was wrong. When I pulled onto the road and got moving, I realized it was stuck in 2nd gear (maybe 3rd, couldn’t really tell). Wouldn’t upshift or downshift. Wouldn’t even downshift to 1st at a stop. No check engine light and no codes.

Stopped at a friends house and looked it over. Checked the fluid, and the level, color, and smell of the fluid was good. Didn’t really do anything else to it. Fired it back up and took it for a drive, and now everything is fine. Goes into drive smoothly and goes through all the gears.

Anyone have any ideas of what could have caused this? I haven’t driven the truck in weeks and last time I drove it everything was fine. I’m hoping it was just a Chrysler brain fart and the thing put itself into a sort of limp mode and shutting it off and restarting it cleared it up.

Krein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 07 did the same thing, happened 3 times. After shutting off the truck and starting it back up it would be fine. Also noticed after that it would be hard to put in drive/ reverse etc. Never found out what the problem was but after the 3rd time i fixed the problem by buying my 2015

OP
OP
justin13703

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 07 did the same thing, happened 3 times. After shutting off the truck and starting it back up it would be fine. Also noticed after that it would be hard to put in drive/ reverse etc. Never found out what the problem was but after the 3rd time i fixed the problem by buying my 2015
I’d like to have a newer one but I’m not going back to having a payment lol. I know I’m getting fed up with these dodge problems though. Between the rust and now this, this thing is having way too many issues for a truck with 55k miles that’s been kept in a heated garage for the last 6 years and doesn’t even get driven in the winter. Luckily my TIPM hasn’t taken a **** yet (knock on wood)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Throwing any codes (besides P0700)?

Johnkck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have an 07 that is having the shift issue but isn't going away. P0750 shift solenoid A malfunction. Had it checked and the guy told me it was an electrical issue. If I clear the code it runs fine for 2 to 10 miles but comes back. On the pcm I ohmed between 10 and 19 (I think) and got 2 to 3.7 ohms. I also dropped the pan to try and find the solenoid. I've been moving slow with this because I'm not sure what I'm looking for and info on the web is vague. Any help would be great