Transmission issues diagnosis. Help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Selecters75

Reaction score
San Martín de los Andes, Patagonia Argentina
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello everyone. I'm having an issue with my 2014 RAM 1500, which I purchased about 2 months ago. A few days ago, while driving under normal conditions, without a load, at a regular speed for the road, I suddenly noticed that I had lost transmission. It was as if the gear had shifted from drive to neutral (although I obviously didn't do that). The gear shifter didn't move (it's not stuck either); it's just that when I pressed the accelerator, the engine's RPM didn't transfer to the wheels. I tried several times, both in reverse and forward, but it wouldn't move.

The next day, before taking it to the mechanic, who is an official dealer in my city, I tried again. Now it moved, but there was some noise when changing gears. The mechanic mentioned that the transmission fluid had an unpleasant odor. They said they would start by changing the fluid and checking if there are metal fragments in it.

Additional information: About a week ago, at the same mechanic, we did a service that included changing the engine oil. I asked them to check the transmission and differential oils, and they confirmed that the levels were okay and the fluids seemed to have been recently changed.

What do you think? What could have happened?

OP
OP
S

Selecters75

Reaction score
San Martín de los Andes, Patagonia Argentina
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also the mechanic mentioned that he at least had one case of a similar issue with the transmission with another truck using the same wheel size as mine (which is the same that most of you are using here at this forum)...
A couple of days before this issue happened, I had a trip of around 400km (but I never exceeded 120km/h).
He said that sometimes transmissions acts as a fuse.. is that even possible? I mean, it could be related with the speed/wheel size/velocity?

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d try taking it to a transmission shop and having them take it for a test drive with their diagnostics hooked up.

what Kind of history could you find out about the truck also

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had two failures on my 66rfe (6spd in the 6.4 Hemi 2500). The first was similar to what you describe although I was still able to drive off the freeway... albeit, slipping, slamming and clunking the whole way. The bad fluid and noisy shifts are concerning for sure. All you can really do is get someone to look into it further.

As for the lack of any CELs I can tell you (at least with the 66rfe) they are rare. With my first failure after driving off the freeway and trying to find a safe parking space I finally lost all forward movement and had to back into a parking lot. Literally, as I came to rest with the transmission totally toast, the CEL light came on.... great, thanks for the warning. I had no idea anything was wrong :) :)

Unfortunately, these trannys aren't exactly bulletproof.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also the mechanic mentioned that he at least had one case of a similar issue with the transmission with another truck using the same wheel size as mine (which is the same that most of you are using here at this forum)...
A couple of days before this issue happened, I had a trip of around 400km (but I never exceeded 120km/h).
He said that sometimes transmissions acts as a fuse.. is that even possible? I mean, it could be related with the speed/wheel size/velocity?
I do not like this "mechanic" in that he covers his ignorance with a very odd comment that a transmission is like a "fuse".... Bull.

Comparing your truck to another is another red flag, in that one has no idea how each truck has been treated or maintained (apples to oranges). Also, one week the fluid is all wonderful, and a week later, it isn't.

Take the truck elsewhere and get a more professional assessment than that! You owe that to yourself!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For that "mechanic": Like they say, if you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with BS...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat