Transmission pan and fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Might be a dumb question. I plan on finally changing the fluid Sunday.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to get the rear end high enough to get the tires off the ground. Could I take the wheels off and still do the Green sheet procedure without any problems? Won't mess up the drive shaft or rear end?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Might be a dumb question. I plan on finally changing the fluid Sunday.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to get the rear end high enough to get the tires off the ground. Could I take the wheels off and still do the Green sheet procedure without any problems? Won't mess up the drive shaft or rear end?
You won't get the pan rail level doing it that way,would be the only issue.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, I know you used a incline for your truck right? But how did you get the wheels off the ground to go into 2nd gear?
Car ramps to get it up initially and then jacks/blocks is how I did mine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok, I know you used a incline for your truck right? But how did you get the wheels off the ground to go into 2nd gear?
An inclined driveway will help,but i normally use the level part of my driveway,and my hi-lift floorjack and my 6 ton jackstands to get the rear tires in the air high enough the tranny pan rail is level

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Car ramps to get it up initially and then jacks/blocks is how I did mine

That's a good idea to get it up to drain but man If have to jack it up to get the tires off the ramps. I'm going to need a jack that lifts like 5 feet. lol
Maybe I'm overthinking this too much. haahah

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An inclined driveway will help,but i normally use the level part of my driveway,and my hi-lift floorjack and my 6 ton jackstands to get the rear tires in the air high enough the tranny pan rail is level

Well, I just have a 3 ton harbor freight floor jack and some small 4 ton stands.

Guess I'm going to see how high I can get it before I even think about draining it. lol
Thanks for the help guys.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well, I just have a 3 ton harbor freight floor jack and some small 4 ton stands.

Guess I'm going to see how high I can get it before I even think about draining it. lol
Thanks for the help guys.
A couple short pieces of 2X6's or 2X8's under the jackstands and your floor jack should help gain you some height,you could even stack a couple of pieces of wood under everything.If you don't have any short pieces of scrap 2X6 or 2X8's laying around,go to your local lumber yard,they'll usually have a bin of cut-offs you can buy cheap

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I put my floorjack under the pumpkin with a piece of 4x6, and put my jackstands under the axle tubes. Took a couple tries, but worked out perfect for level on the pan rail

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I put my floorjack under the pumpkin with a piece of 4x6, and put my jackstands under the axle tubes. Took a couple tries, but worked out perfect for level on the pan rail
About how high are your jack stands?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
12 inches or so when fully down. I just have a bone stock SLT also, no suspension mods.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Like wild said I do have some wood I can stack on the floor then put the floor jack on top of it.

But put the 4x6 on top of floor jack would be a good idea too.

Thanks

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
See, but you guys are supposed to be good Germans and only have a certified professional service person do this work for thousands of dollars!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Like wild said I do have some wood I can stack on the floor then put the floor jack on top of it.

But put the 4x6 on top of floor jack would be a good idea too.

Thanks
I can't remember if I set it down on the jackstands and it was level or if I had to raise it up 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the jackstands for it to be level.....been longer than a day ago.....lol.

It was kind of a PITA since I had to get my fat ass up and down a few times checking the level, plus I don't think I wrote down the combination of wood and jackstand height I used, so will have to do it all again in about 27k miles.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
See, but you guys are supposed to be good Germans and only have a certified professional service person do this work for thousands of dollars!
I have a wee bit of German in me,my one set of Grand parents came over from Germany just after the turn of the last century.Does that qualify me :Big Laugh:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 6 ton jackstands, according to the box anyway, max out at 23 3/4". Hopefully that's enough.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have a wee bit of German in me,my one set of Grand parents came over from Germany just after the turn of the last century.Does that qualify me :Big Laugh:

Sure. I'm half German and think it's ridiculous. Because I'm American and was trained to design for serviceability, manufacture, function, safety, and cost simultaneously. Not just pick one or two.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I am half German and half Polish, but the German side was from West Virginia, so I always say I am part Hillbilly, too.....lol.

Last edited: