transmission problems???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tyleraamos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
a couple days ago, my transmission on my 1997 dodge ram 5.2l started acting weird. i was driving home on the freeway and it wouldn't go into over drive. the light on the "o/d off" button was on so i tried turning it off but it wouldn't turn off.

i pulled off the freeway to try to turn the button off and it still wouldn't turn off. when i tried to accelerate back onto the freeway it was going really slow, like it hadn't down shifted when i had stopped?

well a few more miles after this it stopped working all together? it didn't have any power whatsoever. i pulled off again to see what the problem was and after shifting through the gears it still didn't work. it felt like it wanted to move, it just didn't have the power to get the wheels moving.

yesterday i was able to tow it home and after looking at it some more, i figured out that if i turn it off and then start it again, it will work, but after 20 seconds of driving, it looses all power again.

i did some research and thought maybe it is the transmission governor and solenoid? is that possible? or does it need a total rebuild? any help would be amazing, i don't really know anything about transmissions. thanks!