Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flaplaca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Deisel
My 2018 with 50k miles is clunking on the downshift. Between 4/5 gears and 2/1 gears. Sometime hard, others a soft clunk. Anyone have this issue?

bigdodge

Reaction score
I had that issue with my 66rfe so I changed teams fluid work redline trans fluid and it's never done it since

Rick155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2017 1500 just out of warranty by miles not time (69,000 miles, still months before the 6 years). Transmission would clunk when cold driving 25mph. Took to dealer twice and they said they could not produce problem. One morning made the clunk and would not shift to 2nd gear. Took it to the dealer and they told that the transmission was trashed and not servicable. Long story short, $9500.00 for a reman or $5000 for a used one with 50,000 miles and no warranty. Called Customer Service and they were very Snotty with me and said there was nothing I could do. Very disappointed with the whole thing and especially Customer Service. They made me feel sorry that I bought a RAM. Going with a Ford this year!

OP
OP
F

Flaplaca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Deisel
this has the 68rfe.
We actually took it in for service. 2 things fixed the problem.
Low transmission oil - down 2 quarts and not leaking anywhere, i was perplexed over this, and service pack update. I havent had the issue since.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
this has the 68rfe.
We actually took it in for service. 2 things fixed the problem.
Low transmission oil - down 2 quarts and not leaking anywhere, i was perplexed over this, and service pack update. I havent had the issue since.
These trucks do have a dipstick so you can check the fluid level you know. :doh2:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2017 1500 just out of warranty by miles not time (69,000 miles, still months before the 6 years). Transmission would clunk when cold driving 25mph. Took to dealer twice and they said they could not produce problem. One morning made the clunk and would not shift to 2nd gear. Took it to the dealer and they told that the transmission was trashed and not servicable. Long story short, $9500.00 for a reman or $5000 for a used one with 50,000 miles and no warranty. Called Customer Service and they were very Snotty with me and said there was nothing I could do. Very disappointed with the whole thing and especially Customer Service. They made me feel sorry that I bought a RAM. Going with a Ford this year!

I'm sorry to hear your trans went to crap, but you are 9,000 miles out of warranty so that is why they said no fixing it under warranty, also do you really think/believe Ford does not have its own set of problems with its transmissions, think again, same with GMC, they all are having problems with different things breaking or not working properly including I'm sad to say Toyota that I'm personally finding out about...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
also do you really think/believe Ford does not have its own set of problems with its transmissions, think again, same with GMC,
@Rick155 both Ford and GM have pending litigation over their 10 spd transmission, it's the same transmission that was co-developed between them.
Failures with the ZF 8HP transmission are actually on the rare side and many different manufacturers use this same transmission design.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would think since the trans had a problem during the warranty period, Ram would offer something.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Brother, good luck on that Ford! I can promise you 100% that you'll have a lot more problems with your 10-spd in the Ford than this Ram. If you are upset that Ram customer service won't help you on a trans out of warranty then wait until you deal with Ford with a trans IN warranty.

They allowed our Expedition to sit on a lift from June 2022 to January 1, 2023 with the transmission on a bench. Not only did they redesign the components while it sat on the bench TWICE, once installed the transmission only made it 88 miles before it puked it's guts again. And guess what? Some of the newly designed components were STILL wrong and it had to go back under the knife again. Best part during all of this? Ford wouldn't front the rental expenses but promised in writing to reimburse us. Once we did get it back prior to it puking the last time we submitted our invoices from the rental company. Ford ended up only reimbursing us for half of the money and we ate $2k in rental car fees. The Ford CSR's advice.... dump the Ford and don't buy a Mustang, Ranger, Expedition, or F150 until they figure out how to solve the transmission problem.

We sold it to the dealership and wrote a $14k check to pay it off so that we could walk away from it. It would have been cheaper to replace the transmission in a Ram than what we went through.