TRUCK OVERHEATING ON IDLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2007 5.7 hemi overheats when idling i replaced the water pump because it had a leak and i put new coolant and topped it off. i started driving it around and it was doing fine until i got to a stop light the trucks temperature started rising to 220-230 it starts to cool down if get on the highway but if i drive in little streets it won’t cool down

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When was the last time that you had a real Radiator & Air Conditioning Shop check out your Radiator.
I am not talking about a dealership or even a Auto Parts Store.
I am thinking that at 15 years of driving, it should be looked at

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Did you hear the fan on? At those temps it should of been on full speed . Clutch is probably bad if it wasn't locked.
A few other things, did you bleed all the air out? When it was hot did you feel upper and lower hoses? If they weren't hot at those temps then there's no flow from coolant blockage or stuck closed thermostat. Since you mentioned you had a previous leak, if you used an aggressive Stop-Leak I've seen some of that stuff clog thermostats closed causing overheating.
I mentioned fan clutch first because sitting still with no air flow there is hardly any cooling if the fan clutch or electricfan is not working. Once you start driving especially past 35 mph air naturally moving through the grill and radiator will transfer heat to begin cooling.

OP
OP
J

jeovanicorro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fan is on and when i turn the the truck off and spin it by hand it’s not freely spinning it hard and it doesn’t wiggle back n forth it’s there any other way to check it also when i got home earlier truck was at 228 and i left it on and started spraying the radiator with water for like 4 min and it cooled down to 201 and to reply gtyankee no sir i haven’t taken it last year i replaced my water pump around march and so did the radiator and i flushed all the water out

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it the original radiator, can you pull the cap off and look down the inlet to see any lime deposits, is the top hose hot and the bottom one cooler that will tell you if the radiator is clogged, for starters pull the thermostat and see if it cools any better.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like an air bubble or a bad reman water pump that's not spinning correctly.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2007 Ram radiators should have been made of some kind of metal, not plastic.

I would drive up to a real radiator shop & ask them to assess the radiators condition.

If they tell you, that you have issues
They usually have 2 prices.
First price is if you remove the radiator & bring it into the shop
Second price is if, you have them pull the radiator themselves
The difference is the cost of Labor $$$

By the way, a radiator shop can buy quality radiator parts at Jobbers Price, you can't buy those parts for less

Last edited: