Truck stalls when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Hemi 5.7
Okay so my 2003 Dodge Ram2500 stalls when I brake but not every time only when I brake hard or fast. Also my check engine light has been on but there’s a massive hole in my muffler so I figured it was my O2 sensors. Pulse my brake light just came on and is flashing at me. My brake fluid isn’t lower or leaking that I know of and my brakes work fine and I have already engaged the emergency/parking brake several times just to make sure it wasn’t that. And my truck runs fine regardless of the stalling no issues with braiding either. And when it does stall it starts up right after just fine. Please help thx!!

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bump - my 2005 just started doing this as well. Except, I don't have a Check Engine Light. I will be checking my battery connections today.

Also: All accessories are still working, gauges stay on, stereo, lights, etc. What would trigger this?

Thanks!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'd first clean the TB and check the spark plugs.

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a guess...... vacuum leak at the brake power booster. Not sure about the brake light, unless the park brake switch is stuck?

Brando_SLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys. This JUST happened again yesterday. Exiting the freeway, hard stop at the off-ramp going uphill, truck stalled. Except I do have a CEL for an EVAP leak (came on last Friday). Truck was also recently fully filled on Sunday evening. So odd this happens after a fill-up.

I look into buying a set of plugs and/or cleaning the throttle body this weekend.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just curious, does the issue happen every time? If you can make it stall predictably find a safe place and try shifting into N before replicating the stall. If it doesn't stall when in N it makes me wonder if there's a transmission issue at play.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I don't believe your evap code is part of the stalling issue. Most likely the gas cap is tight. You can clean the sealing area or even use some vasoline on the rubber to if the evap code clears. If not then you could have a dry/split hose on the evap unit leaking.

Jjxx101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 07 did this today. Came to an abrupt stop at a light and just died. Never had that happen.

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My gut still tells me vacuum leak.... I had an '03 Tahoe with a vacuum leak (lean code so different scenario) but I found the leak at the intake manifold by spraying around under the hood with a can of carb cleaner. If carb cleaner finds a vacuum leak the idle will change briefly. You can also look at fuel trims, they'll go lean if you have a vacuum leak.

finally03gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Another spit ball idea here.. how are these gas tanks baffled? Could a broken/missing baffle cause fuel starvation when braking?

KCasey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318)
Quite a few people around where I live told me to check into the IAC. I have not experienced transmission issues other than when I initially start the truck and go to pull off the rpms go up a little bit it feels like the gears aren’t catching. The truck has shut off on me a few times when coming to a stop. Once the truck is warm no idle issues even when I come to a stop. I’ll change the IAC and let you guys know how it goes. I’ll also look at the other suggestions so thanks to those that post!

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quite a few people around where I live told me to check into the IAC. I have not experienced transmission issues other than when I initially start the truck and go to pull off the rpms go up a little bit it feels like the gears aren’t catching. The truck has shut off on me a few times when coming to a stop. Once the truck is warm no idle issues even when I come to a stop. I’ll change the IAC and let you guys know how it goes. I’ll also look at the other suggestions so thanks to those that post!
Many other vehicles that may be true, but the Hemi and other drive-by-wire engines don't have an IAC in the traditional sense, the throttle plate is controlled by a servo motor and the ECU telling it where to idle at.

KCasey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 (318)
Alright guys/gals just an update/request: looks like I’m going to attempt to rebuild my trans during the cold season. I’m finally getting my IAC tomorrow. I was going to post the entire story but I’ll spare you the deets and get right into it. Fiancée drove truck & believes my trans is slipping. She’s a Ram-a-holic and typically knows her stuff and has OFTEN been right about my truck even though I don’t think she’s right this time. So along with this IAC I may be doing a trans rebuild. I’ll be doing my own research as well but additional insight is never a bad thing. Once I mount the courage to pull my trans and break it down what warning signs should I be looking for? Please please please don’t be the person to suggest replacing all of the components because “ain’t nobody got time fo dat”. Once again thank you for any and all input.

one more thing I’m going to replace a neutral safety switch??? to hopefully get my reverse lights working; fuses are good already checked.