Truck stumbles at idle; causes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the deal: I bought a 2008 Hemi Sport used in December. Thus far she has run like a top. Lately though when pulling up to stop at a stopsign or stoplight right when the truck pulls to a stop to idle, the RPMs drop maybe 3-400 and you can feel it too. The truck recovers after about 1 second and it's back to normal. But that stumble can't be normal. Truck runs flawlessly while driving around, no missing that I can detect. All gauges read normal, no SES light, etc. Just when it comes to a stop from decelerating that it does it but after it recovers, just fine. Anyone had this problem or if not, anyone have any possible troubleshooting tips? Truck is bone stock w/ 55k miles. Plugs replaced @ 50k miles. Thanks!

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Didn't think about that, I will take it off and take a look. Thanks! Anyone else?

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
that was my first thought, cleaning the TB. Second was a fuel issue. Possible filter getting clogged. When little fuel needed the clog imposes more but when the pressure is one its able to push threw more. crappy part is im almost positive you have a in tank filter.

mikes04hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine does it too at time.....and some of what I have read is that it may be egr related. I have to look into it more but I agree with cleaning the TB first. Mine is an 04 btw.

If you correct the problem, please let us know. Good luck!

ladale21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins HO
Sounds like the IAC, does it do it every time ,most or every now and then

OP
OP
F

FSUNole17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time. And no, the check engine light isn't on. I haven't gotten a chance to get out there and clean the TB but will hopefully soon

ladale21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins HO
It doesn't happen all the time, just some of the time. And no, the check engine light isn't on. I haven't gotten a chance to get out there and clean the TB but will hopefully soon

Take your iac. Off the throttle bottle. And check its operation, and clean it first. Since its small and is only 2 screws, had this before, when you get off the throttle the iac supplies. The air for the engine since its doing it not all the thine it tells me its working but is week or dirty, once stooped the iac retracts and allows air to maintain 600 rpm -700rpm, if it gets week or dirty the time it takes to move will increase, causing hesitation