Truck won't move in any gear. Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all,

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but I recently ran into an issue with my truck (2006 Ram 1500 SLT SB - 5.7L - 4x4 - 37K miles). The truck will not move at all when put in drive, reverse, 1, 2, ect.

I drove it this morning without any issue. A few hours later I get in, start it up just fine, shifted into reverse just fine, then nothing. I attempted to turn the truck off and on three times, same problem. Also tried shifting between various gears to no avail.

Next I put the truck in neutral and tried to physically push it. It still wouldn't move. The truck will move very, very, slightly if the rpms climb up to 2k or so. It's as if the brakes are on full lock.

I looked under the truck and didn't see anything unusual. Checked the trans fluid, it was full and looked good. I haven't had a chance to drop the trans pan yet to check for metal or inspect the filters.

Does anyone have any suggestions on possible causes of this? Are there any known sensor issues with the 3rd gen rams to cause the brakes to stay locked?

Thanks for the help!

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it like the brakes are locked up or the teams is slipping? When you put it in gear and try to go, does it just rev freely or bog down like it is trying to go but can't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Got_Hemi44

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it like the brakes are locked up or the teams is slipping? When you put it in gear and try to go, does it just rev freely or bog down like it is trying to go but can't?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply. I will be able to give a more definitive answer tomorrow, but from what I remember, the truck seemed to bog down a little bit under throttle.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It won't roll in neutral? The brakes would need to be really locked hard to stop the truck from moving in gear.

Any chance the xfer case got knocked into neutral?

OP
OP
Got_Hemi44

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It won't roll in neutral? The brakes would need to be really locked hard to stop the truck from moving in gear.

Any chance the xfer case got knocked into neutral?

No it wouldn't. Xfer case is fine.

I went out and tried moving the truck again. This time the truck did reverse. Put it in drive, it went forward. Repeated this and it wouldn't move.

So cycling between drive and reverse is hit or miss on if it moves. The truck will also roll in neutral now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Got_Hemi44

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the truck is shifting perfectly fine now through all gears. Not really sure what the issue was yesterday. Possibly a valve or sensor issue. Thanks for the help.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hows the fluid level how often do you change the fluid and filter I would start by checking fluid level, proper linkage engagement, trans pressure check, then its time to break down and put a trans scanner onto it to check internal operations.

OP
OP
Got_Hemi44

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hows the fluid level how often do you change the fluid and filter I would start by checking fluid level, proper linkage engagement, trans pressure check, then its time to break down and put a trans scanner onto it to check internal operations.

Fluid level is good. Trans fluid/filters were changed roughly 20k miles ago. The fluid still looks/smells good.

I'm beginning to lean towards an issue with the brakes or differential. The problem came back this morning after an entire day of perfect shifting. Forward still works. The truck will reverse a few feet then instantly stop. It stopped hard enough to leave a skid mark on my driveway. From researche I have gathered, I may have a broke/lost caliper bolt that is binding up when in reverse. I'll check it out when I get home.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you may have a solenoid issue. Need a proper scanner and someone who knows what they are doing to look into it further

OP
OP
Got_Hemi44

Got_Hemi44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you may have a solenoid issue. Need a proper scanner and someone who knows what they are doing to look into it further

It's deffinitley a possibility. Generally a bad solenoid would prevent the truck from shifting. The fact I can select gears, shift through all forward gears, and have a few feet of motion in reverse lead me to believe it's another issue. I'll hook up my scanner and see if there's any codes that haven't been set. Pending inspection of the brakes I plan on pulling the tranny tonight.

shaftman_05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's deffinitley a possibility. Generally a bad solenoid would prevent the truck from shifting. The fact I can select gears, shift through all forward gears, and have a few feet of motion in reverse lead me to believe it's another issue. I'll hook up my scanner and see if there's any codes that haven't been set. Pending inspection of the brakes I plan on pulling the tranny tonight.
Only other thoughts are a worn out pump. Clutch pack wouldn't cause all gears to fail at once, and a suddenly broke gear set isn't likely... curious to what you may find. Are you doing the rebuild yourself?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would check the ebrake.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
leaning toward the shift solenoid pack in the trans. Recently replaced one on an 07 Hemi Durango with similar issues. Drop pan, drop valve body, swap solenoid pack, install valve body, install pan, refill, done.

br427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check out your shifter cable. Same thing happened to my 2010. Perfect when stopped last and then no gears. Cable broke.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
From what it sounds like it has nothing to do with trans but all to do with wheels (brakes). You can't get a skid mark on pavement by throwing an auto trans into 'Park' even, so I would be looking at which one of those 4 wheels is locking up on you. And I would be really scared of driving it on the road with it possibly suddenly locking up. What a trip... Good luck and keep us posted with what you find. FWIW-I had a Ford 1 ton lock up on me going across a causeway with no where to pull over for almost a mile. It was on fire by the time I got pulled over. Fortunately, there was lots of water to be had. Turned out being a broken brake caliper that collapsed somehow and locked up a front wheel. Yours sounds like a rear wheel. Worth looking at.