Truck won't shift out of park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirk Low

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi everyone, not sure if this has been posted or not yet. I'm sure it has. Last week I parked my truck at my office. Went to jump in to go run some errands. Truck wouldn't shift out of park. It was like it was hung up on something. Prior there were no symptoms that would indicate transmission issues. was shifting perfect, no codes, nothing. I replace the shift cable assembly as I was doing some research and suggested that the solenoid could've been the issue. NO luck. More research and research pointed to the TTVA needing to be replaced. I spoke with my local stealership and that's what they said it was. Get the truck to the dealership and within 10mins they're telling me that I need a new valve body, new seals, etc, etc. To the cost of $4400.00. I'm very suspect of this as multiple people I've spoken to say that the transmission just doesn't stop working.

I'm at the point where I'm trying to sell the truck. I am suspect that it needs $4400 in work when things were working just fine. My gut is telling me the dealership is trying to hose me on 4k worth of work.

I did have my batteries checked etc. I also did pull a code out once I hooked my batteries back up on a P1755.

Does anyone have any insight for me? I'm looking at taking the truck to another shop that won't soak me to get the truck mobile.

WMick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds to me like your dealer is maybe jumping to expensive conclusions?? ....
Am I understanding that you replaced the shift cable? If so, did you try to shift the transmission, manually, while the cable was disconnected? This would help you confirm if it's an internal tranny problem or external linkage problem.

Sounds like you ruled out a problem the lock solenoid in the column?? is this correct?

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I had a similar issue in my FORD work van, It was what I call a interlock switch that activates when you step on the brake from park to shift, SO maybe that solenoid WMick is talking about the same thing

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I don't know what a TTVA is but if the dealer said that it was bad you can pretty much disregard everything they say. There is a multifunction switch on the brake pedal with what i remember to be 3 seperate switches built together. 1. Cab brake light. 2. Brake applied sense. 3. Shifter release solenoid (?). I would test to see if the shifter lock is disengaging.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know what a TTVA is but if the dealer said that it was bad you can pretty much disregard everything they say. There is a multifunction switch on the brake pedal with what i remember to be 3 seperate switches built together. 1. Cab brake light. 2. Brake applied sense. 3. Shifter release solenoid (?). I would test to see if the shifter lock is disengaging.
TTVA - Transmission Throttle Valve Actuator

What Redtruck-VA said. The first rule of troubleshooting is keeping it simple, why jump to the expensive stuff first when it is very likely wrong in this case.

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My 06 did this same thing back in 2016. Had it towed to a shop, they replaced a Detent Kit #T12749 ($75.08) and while in the tranny the filters #58613 ($26.70). Total cost for everything including ATF was $369.44

Mike

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The dealership I suspect didn't even look at your truck. Warped vb is common on a 48re as is worn seals. They were just covering everything without really doing anything. I would eliminate the shifter solenoid before going into the trans.