Trying to identify?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
What's the stationary mechanism that's bolted to the rocker panel that receives and latches shut the rear cargo door on a 2001 dodge ram 3500? , I think it's the same on all 2nd gen models, but not sure....This "thing" I'm trying to identify needs to be replaced and I don't know how to properly ID it for ordering.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Not the striker this thing .........

IMG_9726.JPG

IMG_9724.JPG

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
So, what do you call it?.......been looking to replace it, but can't find it anywhere!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
We've always called em strikers. Doesn't matter the way it's shaped, it serves the same function.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
dd94 thanks, but shouldn't there be a part # to reference the exact replacement?....can't find this very typical & obvious part (most 2nd gen rams have this exact
as you say, "striker") but it's never pictured or even made notice on diagrams........junk yards maybe?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah, I've been looking and I'm not finding anything either. Currently going through eBay trying to find something that matches it.
At this point I'd be thinking it's junkyard time.
What's wrong with yours?

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Yeah, I've been looking and I'm not finding anything either. Currently going through eBay trying to find something that matches it.
At this point I'd be thinking it's junkyard time.
What's wrong with yours?

The cargo door that engages it (striker) is very loose ,...which makes the driver door also loose because it closes shut on the cargo door.
Maybe if there is an adjustment to the inner cargo door latch to take the slack out there would no need to change the (striker pictured)
If the lower latch inside the cargo door is adjustable,..well then, problem solved!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The cargo door that engages it (striker) is very loose ,...which makes the driver door also loose because it closes shut on the cargo door.
Maybe if there is an adjustment to the inner cargo door latch to take the slack out there would no need to change the (striker pictured)
If the lower latch inside the cargo door is adjustable,..well then, problem solved!
Well I know at work we move strikers around all the time for door fitment, so I would see about maybe moving the striker in or seeing if it's bent in any way.
A previous owner may have had that back door stick and opened it with force, damaging the striker.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
I challenge anybody to find this (pictured above on my truck) for sale anywhere new!..........for the life of me, can't find them...why not?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I've seen a box of them in a buddies shop. He owns a small two bay collision shop, when it comes to strikers or studs they just match up the stud length and width and weld/bolt new ones in that fit the clearance requirements. You may be in that kind of situation of asking a body shop what they suggest.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
What I don't understand is, why is this part never pictured or even mentioned in a diagram of the rear cargo door latching mechanism?
I called Mopar Dodge and even they can't identify it, all they can give me is part#4520288 which is a striker but it's on the DOOR JAM.
I need the striker "ON" the rocker panel........Please One more time, Cargo door has a latch on the lower inside portion of door, this latch
(consider it the "female" portion) connects to (or strikes) the (male portion) to close the door......I'm looking for that (male portion) striker
that's screwed to the rocker panel..........it's the only one there and still can't be identified???......why???!!!!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
No clue man. I know what you're talking about. My buddies ranger had rusted out rockers, they put new ones on, sanded/painted/blended in two days, it took another two days just to find the right striker to fit.

I've never heard of them being replaced without pulling them from junkyards or warehouse bins full of them.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
No clue man. I know what you're talking about. My buddies ranger had rusted out rockers, they put new ones on, sanded/painted/blended in two days, it took another two days just to find the right striker to fit.

I've never heard of them being replaced without pulling them from junkyards or warehouse bins full of them.

dudeman209 thanks!............scratching my head because in order to find them in a junk (used) they at one time had to be
produced new right?........Crazy!....anyway off to the junkyard!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
dudeman209 thanks!............scratching my head because in order to find them in a junk (used) they at one time had to be
produced new right?........Crazy!....anyway off to the junkyard!

This is my understanding of it. All auto manufacturers have usually one plant that makes small production runs of things, think injection molded parts or specialty machining processes required. GM for example still has molds from things they produced in the 80s sitting in a warehouse. Occasionally they pull things out for one off runs of less than 50 units. Chrysler does the same thing, they used to make one off productions of our Dash components of 100 or less units for the year to distribute to various resellers and their own warehouses. Some things are replaced entirely by aftermarket suppliers.

That being said, manufacturers stop production of certain parts of vehicles shortly after production of that model ends. In this case i'm guessing production of the striker was stopped a long time ago as it shouldn't rust out before the life of the vehicle is up, or unless its in a serious car accident, in which case the vehicle may be totaled. If the dealer cant find it, i'd ask them who they send the collision repair too and call that place directly, the dealer can get most body products, but not always.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
This is my understanding of it. All auto manufacturers have usually one plant that makes small production runs of things, think injection molded parts or specialty machining processes required. GM for example still has molds from things they produced in the 80s sitting in a warehouse. Occasionally they pull things out for one off runs of less than 50 units. Chrysler does the same thing, they used to make one off productions of our Dash components of 100 or less units for the year to distribute to various resellers and their own warehouses. Some things are replaced entirely by aftermarket suppliers.

That being said, manufacturers stop production of certain parts of vehicles shortly after production of that model ends. In this case i'm guessing production of the striker was stopped a long time ago as it shouldn't rust out before the life of the vehicle is up, or unless its in a serious car accident, in which case the vehicle may be totaled. If the dealer cant find it, i'd ask them who they send the collision repair too and call that place directly, the dealer can get most body products, but not always.

I would think that's the case on this "rocker panel striker" sadly out of production!... but on the other hand, why would they limit a production piece that was produced
for the dodge ram quad cab that was introduced in 1998 and ended in 2002?.....that's 5 years of production...but I get your point, because Dodge does not stock this
item anywhere in their book of inventory parts.........So Determined to find one though!!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
I would think that's the case on this "rocker panel striker" sadly out of production!... but on the other hand, why would they limit a production piece that was produced
for the dodge ram quad cab that was introduced in 1998 and ended in 2002?.....that's 5 years of production...but I get your point, because Dodge does not stock this
item anywhere in their book of inventory parts.........So Determined to find one though!!

Look at it from this perspective. You produce a car, you only need whats on the BOM to build the car, you don't need extra parts on the car, just a little overstock in the factory in case some are dropped or messed up or something. Then you only need a small number of certain parts after production is stopped to account for repairs. This is a rarely problem item during the lifespan of the vehicle, they may only need one per hundred trucks within the timeframe the vehicle is expected to fail, so they only produce that many over once production stops. Once they run out, it is expected that most all of those trucks will be off the road. I don't think they expected people to keep fixing them for so long since the 80s and 90s was really when they stepped up planned obsolescence in cars. They perfected it in the early 2000s.

Now, its way past the life expectancy of these trucks so their stockpile of parts designed to replace broken items is scarce in favor of stocking parts for Gen3 and even Gen 4 trucks. Had your issue been with something that more often breaks, replacement would be easy as there would have been sufficient demand during the lifespan of the truck for aftermarket manufacturers to step in. For example, headlamp switches or light housings, window switches, etc. Those are still easily available from aftermarket suppliers because they made or bought equipment to manufacture that specific part. To a manufacturer, to produce the striker for the rear door (of which only a percentage of trucks had vs the stud for the front door that all trucks had) is a waste of resources as the demand may be as low as 100 per year, out of millions of trucks on the road. They are better off spending resources on a part that has higher demand.

I'm going to guess you will never find a new one, ever. All you can do is pull one from a junker and sandblast then paint it, or goto a body shop and see if they have any that would fit (probably only if you have them do the labor of putting it on).

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
dude you make perfect sense!......I get your analogy (limited demand = chance in hell to find it!).......The young internet dodge sales people I've spoken to (and there were many)
rarely know what I'm talking about, they can't picture it either, but that's cool. Tomorrow I call a list of junkers!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
dude you make perfect sense!......I get your analogy (limited demand = chance in hell to find it!).......The young internet dodge sales people I've spoken to (and there were many)
rarely know what I'm talking about, they can't picture it either, but that's cool. Tomorrow I call a list of junkers!

Best of luck to you. If you do find a place that sells them, you'd be a godsend, you're not the only one with this problem.