Uconnect personalization settings and aftermarket radios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a little Info I gleaned today from Crutchfield and iDatalink - if you have a 2013 and up Ram and want to change out your Uconnect radio for an aftermarket, there is an option that now allows you to retain ALL functionality of the Unconnect including personalization settings. I have been all over this issue since I bought my 2014 Ram Express Black because just to be honest, I despise the Uconnect.

I have been told alot of things and read even more about what you will lose and what you will retain by removing the Uconnect system in favor of an aftermarket system. Basically you lose the ability to change personalization settings through the radio. As of right now there is an Alpine option model X009 - Ram that is specifically engineered to fit the 2013 and up Rams. You also retain full functionality of the Uconnect INCLUDING personalization settings and steering wheel controls. This unit is a package deal developed with iDatalink and includes the Maestro module ADS-MRR and the wiring harness, making it completely plug and play. The ADS-MRR will not supply the same functionality to the Kenwoods, JVCs, or Pioneers. The iDatalink Maestro control modules work off of web based firmware and Alpine developed a "perfect fit" replacement for the Uconnect radios in form fit and function, so their firmware was created first and released first as part of that development. Pretty pricey I might add - 2899.99 for the kit at crutchfield.

Alpine X009-RAM Navigation receiver — custom-fit replacement radio with 9" screen for select 2013-up Ram trucks at Crutchfield.com

As of right now The firmware for other radios has been developed by iDatalink and are in the beta testing stages, all but completed. They are basically waiting on production of plug and play wiring harnesses being developed and that is what is holding up their releases. So for those of you that are interested in a Kenwood or some other option, it is on the way and should be out very soon.

Some other things I found out:

The Uconnect and the info center between the gauge cluster are exclusive of each other, if you remove the radio you dont lose the info center.

The iDatalink module will work through both the radio and the info center, IE you can program it to put the song titles playing in the info center if you wish.

The Alpine option is a perfect fit and has a 9" touch screen with no modification to the inner dash support.

As part of the Maestro firmware - your settings menu will be displayed through the new radios screen just like the Uconnect.

So for all you Kenwood fans pining away for a better infotainment option..it appears it is right around the corner. (I believe the Kenwood option is better than the Alpine - just remember that the Alpine comes with the Maestro and wiring harness, the Kenwood does not)

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do note though that the Alpine system will not work as a replacement for the 8.4 systems. Why, I have no idea, it's just what their site says.

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
I'm a newb to Ram, but I'm also not sure why there's a lot of hate for the 8.4 radio we have in our trucks. As far as factory systems, it's probably one of the best I've ever had.

I've done the major aftermarket systems in my vehicles before, but I'm content with keeping my factory 8.4an.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a newb to Ram, but I'm also not sure why there's a lot of hate for the 8.4 radio we have in our trucks. As far as factory systems, it's probably one of the best I've ever had.

I've done the major aftermarket systems in my vehicles before, but I'm content with keeping my factory 8.4an.

I don't think there is hate, just the disappointment in the lack of choice. The 8.4 is one of the nicer factory HU's available and much faster than many after-market HU's available. It does however require a DSP if you want to get into audiophile sound whereas many after-market HU's handle this chore.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I don't think people really hate on the 8.4 it's just the lack of flexibility that factory system have. I thought about installing the 8.4 in my truck but the but to source the parts to get it to function 95% and then have to buy a lock pick so I didn't have to come to a complete stop to use nav just wasn't worth the headache for me.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do note though that the Alpine system will not work as a replacement for the 8.4 systems. Why, I have no idea, it's just what their site says.

Opps sorry guys I should have made mention of that. Just another point about Uconnect that is annoying to say the least. Put that one right up there with cannot turn the radio off and it stay off. I have the RA2 5.0 and I would have upgraded to the 8.4 simply for the nav and extra features but after I buy the truck I find out that you cannot upgrade the radio. (or maybe they wont) In talking with the the rep from iDatalink she mentioned that they literally took out the 8.4 from one vehicle and the RA2 from another and plugged them up to find out that neither would work in the other vehicle. I was also told by a dealer that if they didnt have the VIN coded into the radio from the truck it was going in it wouldnt work. Good theft preventative I guess. I find more and more that I cannot get much info out of dealers though. I dont know whether they arent given it to begin with or they dont want consumers modifying vehicles. Still wouldnt trade my Ram ;)

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
You can add the 8.4 to any 13+ ram no matter if it came with the ra1 or ra2. All the dealer needs is the serial number off of the new radio. The hardest part, if your truck didn't come with uconnect is getting all the extra wiring and parts to get everything working the way it should. A couple of guys on here have figured out at least how to get the factory 8.4 bezel to work with a non 8.4 truck. I know they figured out the hvac but not sure about the volume controls. So the only way to adjust the volume is through the steering wheel controls. It can be done. But in some cases aftermarket is easier.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2900....thats a LOT of scratch to keep the settings in the radio. Not to mention it requires you cutting the bezel a bit so if you want to go to another radio you CAN'T or back to factory (trading the truck in) you can't without getting another center bezel. (check in the install guide Page 9).

Lots of other radios do what it does for more than half the price, and if it doesnt work with the 8.4 you not changing anything from the radio anyway. Also doesn't keep the factory GPS, another ant for that and another module for XM...

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
No matter what after market radio you chose with nav you're not going to be able to use the factory antenna for nav. It's tied into the satellite antenna. Also if you want siriusxm you'll have to buy the siriusxm sxv2001 tuner anyway. You can however reuse the factory satellite antenna for siriusxm.

You can pick up used radio bezels for cheap to use to modify to fit for this unit.

I do agree that this unit is expensive.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@1500ram12 - I agree with you on all that, BUT when you selling a unit for 3G and you sell it has Plug n Play. I WANT PnP. I shouldn't have to do anything other than remove the radio and plug this bad boy in. I shouldn't need to buy sxv2001 or the anything else for that much coin IMHO.

Maybe it's just me but I don't see anywhere near the value of this vs going with a normal DD unit or just doing the 8.4 swap. I have 350 bucks into my 8.4 with the steering wheel control swap and i have an VP4 unit. Even if you paid high you still well under HALF of what this unit would cost you. And what is the "Killer" function or app that it brings that justifies that amount of cost vs everything else out there?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I agree. But like I said any aftermarket unit you'll need to buy the sxm unit. I also agree that it should either be plug and play or at least come with a replacement bezel. I am looking at the 8.4 swap coming from having a truck that came with the ra1 basic radio. So for me aftermarket was easier (kind of). I bought the alpine ine-z928hd which the newest 8" version replaced. I did have to modify a oem parts 8.4 bezels to work. But that's part of the fun of modifying things.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
some kenwood radios support this as well.

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can add the 8.4 to any 13+ ram no matter if it came with the ra1 or ra2. All the dealer needs is the serial number off of the new radio. The hardest part, if your truck didn't come with uconnect is getting all the extra wiring and parts to get everything working the way it should. A couple of guys on here have figured out at least how to get the factory 8.4 bezel to work with a non 8.4 truck. I know they figured out the hvac but not sure about the volume controls. So the only way to adjust the volume is through the steering wheel controls. It can be done. But in some cases aftermarket is easier.

Wonder how much that would set you back? I have been told by no less than 3 dealers that it cannot be done - no lie...Hell I just wanted to put in a cd player in with the RA2 and they wont even do that....cant even tell me the part #s for the center console with the cd player area in it. I just wanted it for concealed carry purposes more than the cd player hahah I guess they just dont want to fool with it....

Oh and dont get me wrong guys....IM not touting the Alpine as the next best thing since sliced white bread....I just been searching for alternatives to the Uconnect because I am not that big a fan of them. you just cant do a whole lot without going through a whole lot of trouble and cash and time. Id just as soon give a few bills and have what I want than take what they give me for half the money.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Wonder how much that would set you back? I have been told by no less than 3 dealers that it cannot be done - no lie...Hell I just wanted to put in a cd player in with the RA2 and they wont even do that....cant even tell me the part #s for the center console with the cd player area in it. I just wanted it for concealed carry purposes more than the cd player hahah I guess they just dont want to fool with it....

Oh and dont get me wrong guys....IM not touting the Alpine as the next best thing since sliced white bread....I just been searching for alternatives to the Uconnect because I am not that big a fan of them. you just cant do a whole lot without going through a whole lot of trouble and cash and time. Id just as soon give a few bills and have what I want than take what they give me for half the money.

If you have the ra1 no uconnect and wanted to upgrade to 8.4 w/nav you're looking at anywhere from $500-900 for the 8.4, $150 for the steering wheel controls since the 8.4 doesn't have a physical volume *** on it, depending on whether or not you want a dash controlled volume *** $150-300 for a aftermarket bezel designed for the 8.4 and to work with the base hvac systems, anywhere from $50-100 for the uconnect/hands free rear view mirror, around another $75 for the shark fin antenna and probably another $100+ in misc wiring harnesses needed to get it to work 95%. Obviously it's a bit cheaper if you're truck came with a ra2 w/uconnect because you don't need to source a bunch of parts and install them.

OP
OP
Samsonlabs

Samsonlabs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the ra1 no uconnect and wanted to upgrade to 8.4 w/nav you're looking at anywhere from $500-900 for the 8.4, $150 for the steering wheel controls since the 8.4 doesn't have a physical volume *** on it, depending on whether or not you want a dash controlled volume *** $150-300 for a aftermarket bezel designed for the 8.4 and to work with the base hvac systems, anywhere from $50-100 for the uconnect/hands free rear view mirror, around another $75 for the shark fin antenna and probably another $100+ in misc wiring harnesses needed to get it to work 95%. Obviously it's a bit cheaper if you're truck came with a ra2 w/uconnect because you don't need to source a bunch of parts and install them.

So around 1500 give or take and a whole lotta grief getting there too....I think I will go with the Kenwood option as soon as the Maestro firmware and harness are released.

nyciti

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am NOO place near 1500 for my 8.4 upgrade. More like 500 all said and done with the mirror.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I am NOO place near 1500 for my 8.4 upgrade. More like 500 all said and done with the mirror.

It can be done for less depending on what options your truck came with originally and how close to getting all the features to work correctly. You can pick up a RA3 for around $150 and another $150 for steering wheel controls and either use the ra1 or ra2 (3.0/5.0) bezel or spend another $150 for the oemparts 8.4 bezel and find the mirror and be in it for $500. But I wanted it to be as close to factory as possible so those were the numbers I was seeing when I was pricing out the parts. Coming from the ra1 3.0 with no uconnect.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Another cost, if you wanted the ability to use gps without stopping, getting a lickpic. So another $300-500