Update on my ABS module dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Like so many other Ram owners, I have a bad ABS module on my truck (2015 Big Horn 5.7). I had posted about this on another thread, but I decided to start a new thread since there are now additional issues.

I took the module off and shipped it off to XeModex to have it repaired, and guess what. UPS LOST the dang parcel! I can't drive my truck without the module, and they lost the parcel!

I have filed a lost parcel claim with them, and I have also lucked up on a complete ABS/HCU assembly from an online parts source. I ordered the assembly and I am going to put the ABS module on my truck. I have verified with a couple of mechanics that this will work, although I will need to initialize the module. They tell me that although I may get some error messages, the truck can be driven, so I'll take it to the shop where I do business and have it initialized.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Where did you find a complete assembly online?

I am about to have mine shipped to XeModex as well.

OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Where did you find a complete assembly online?

I am about to have mine shipped to XeModex as well.

Be SURE you use a blister pouch on the outside of the package and include three copies of the commercial invoice inside it. If you don't, you'll have the nightmare I've just been through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, sports fans, there has been an interesting turn of events.

UPS has found my parcel and they are returning it to me - it is to be delivered TODAY. Plus, the one I ordered online has shipped and is due in Friday. So suddenly, I have TWO of these rare ABS modules.

Here's my plan - if I receive my original module back before about 2:00 PM CST today I will put it back on my truck for a trip out of town to see Mom for Thanksgiving. After I return, I will swap my original module for the replacement one, and if that one works OK I will once again ship my original to XeModex for repair (the original repair order is still open). This time I will be SURE to affix a blister pouch with invoices so that we won’t have a repeat of the "Charles Fox" I have just had to deal with. Once I get the repaired module back on my truck, I may offer the replacement one (ABU/HCU complete assembly) for sale at a reasonable price. That is yet to be determined, but it's a possibility.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I feel for ya! UPS found an "alternative home" for a 200-ish dollar item I bought on ebay several yrs back. Decent-sized box. The tracking, showed it bobbed all over the place and finally got no further than a certain DC. Finally got stuck at some DC. Seller said he had multiple addresses printed on it and one inside. The seller had insurance and got reimbursed...and I lost out on a real good deal.

In another instance, I bought a steering box clearanced from an online seller (1/3 normal price). It arrived with little of the cardboard box left (obviously the seller didn't pack it well). It was kind of amazing it arrived. Sometimes ya lose, sometimes ya win.

I like your plan. Would you buy a brand new one if/when they become available? An alternate plan might be to hang onto it for a couple years in case the one you use flakes out. Difficult to see the future is.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pack the connector with dielectric grease and you probably won't have a repeat.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 102583 miles.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They lose stuff, it happens. They temporally lost one of my handguns and hand guns have to be shipped next day. It finally show up at the dealer, got all my shipping refunded only lost the insurance.

OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I feel for ya! UPS found an "alternative home" for a 200-ish dollar item I bought on ebay several yrs back. Decent-sized box. The tracking, showed it bobbed all over the place and finally got no further than a certain DC. Finally got stuck at some DC. Seller said he had multiple addresses printed on it and one inside. The seller had insurance and got reimbursed...and I lost out on a real good deal.

In another instance, I bought a steering box clearanced from an online seller (1/3 normal price). It arrived with little of the cardboard box left (obviously the seller didn't pack it well). It was kind of amazing it arrived. Sometimes ya lose, sometimes ya win.

I like your plan. Would you buy a brand new one if/when they become available? An alternate plan might be to hang onto it for a couple years in case the one you use flakes out. Difficult to see the future is.
Got my original module back from United Parcel Smashers the day before Turkey Day, slightly the worse for wear. I had wrapped it in several layers of bubble wrap and then padded it with foam rubber, but the baboons who were handling parcels STILL managed to damage it. The center post was cracked and bent slightly to one side, and the two metal prongs were bent over nearly horizontally. There was a hole in the bottom of the cardboard box where the post and prongs had punched through. I have no idea how in blazes the parcel goons managed to damage the module even with all the packing and padding. Fortunately, I was able to do some careful repair work and straighten out the post and prongs, and re-install the module for a trip out of town to spend Thanksgiving with Mom (93 y/o).

The replacement module arrived while I was out of town - GF picked it up for me and kept it safe from potential porch pirates. Monday I swapped out the modules, and the truck runs fine except that the Traction Control light is still on (the BRAKE light and yellow ABS symbol are gone) and of course I have a VIN mismatch. The module probably needs to be programmed, but since the replacement one is just on until I get my repaired original one back (shipped it back to XeModex today with all the invoices correctly attached), I'm not going to spend money to have that done (my little OBD scanner can't do it).

I'll keep the replacement one just in case my original goes Tango Uniform again. If that happens, I'll just install the replacement one and have it programmed. Even if a
NEW AND IMPROVED one comes out, I'll probably give it a hard pass since I have a backup unit on hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
They lose stuff, it happens. They temporally lost one of my handguns and hand guns have to be shipped next day. It finally show up at the dealer, got all my shipping refunded only lost the insurance.
Glad the handgun showed up. Fortunately I never had a firearm lost in shipping - I hope that streak holds!

TPOPs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Happy New Year!! Did you ever get the repaired ABS module back from XeMODeX?? If so, did it resolve your original issues with the ABS & Brake warning lights being on??

OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you ever get the repaired ABS module back from XeMODeX?? If so, did it resolve your original issues with the ABS & Brake warning lights being on??
Yes I did, and everything now functions perfectly. I recommend them highly. BTW, they also repair other types of modules - that tidbit may come in handy at some future time.

James T Collins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Turbo Diesel
kelsey-Hayes ABS module rebuild-$130. Module Master in Moscow, Idaho. Fast turnaround with warranty. Check their website for details.
Lots of used modules on EBay, but most don't work. Even if it's a good module, they are VIN # specific and must be reprogrammed.
The hydraulic portion of the ABS must be protected from contamination while the electronic module is removed. That's all my EBay find was good for. Send the original to Module Master.
It came back rebuilt, upgraded and looking like new. The local Dodge dealer now uses them.

KJR1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how to get the truck into drive with a faulty ABS Control Module? I need a new module and am told by the dealership that it is under "engineer review" and cannot even be ordered until March 20 and then still may take up to a month to get.

OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does anyone know how to get the truck into drive with a faulty ABS Control Module? I need a new module and am told by the dealership that it is under "engineer review" and cannot even be ordered until March 20 and then still may take up to a month to get.
FCA has been singing that same "engineering review" song for the last couple of years. I had my module repaired by XeMODEX for $200 plus expedited shipping. They're in Canada so you need to fill out customs forms and put them in a blister pouch along with the invoice on the outside of the parcel. Module Master in Moscow, Idaho also does rebuilds for like $130 or so.

There are some other companies that will do a rebuild also, but their prices vary.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how to get the truck into drive with a faulty ABS Control Module? I need a new module and am told by the dealership that it is under "engineer review" and cannot even be ordered until March 20 and then still may take up to a month to get
Do it right and follow these instructions,screw Steeeeler.

FCA has been singing that same "engineering review" song for the last couple of years. I had my module repaired by XeMODEX for $200 plus expedited shipping. They're in Canada so you need to fill out customs forms and put them in a blister pouch along with the invoice on the outside of the parcel. Module Master in Moscow, Idaho also does rebuilds for like $130 or so.

There are some other companies that will do a rebuild also, but their prices vary.

70_ss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just so you know, XeMODEX has increased their price it is now $399+shipping for repair.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't been keeping up on new(er) module specifics ....but can a new/used module be initialized and programmed for a truck via AlfaOBD? Or is that a specific dealer 'tool' needed for programming? Or does it need to be sent in to a module shop?

Thanks...

OP: Glad yer tk is up and running fine again. Thanks for the info :waytogo:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I haven't been keeping up on new(er) module specifics ....but can a new/used module be initialized and programmed for a truck via AlfaOBD? Or is that a specific dealer 'tool' needed for programming? Or does it need to be sent in to a module shop?

Thanks...

OP: Glad yer tk is up and running fine again. Thanks for the info :waytogo:

It's under ABS Initialization

Screenshot_20240326_181119_AlfaOBD.jpg

OP
OP
DaSOB

DaSOB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just so you know, XeMODEX has increased their price it is now $399+shipping for repair.
Wow! Double the price, just like that! Glad I got mine repaired when I did.

I have a spare module that I got from a salvage outfit, and the truck will run fine with it except for the cruise control. It would need to be VIN matched to my truck, and a local shop here in Baton Rouge would do that for $128. But my current module is covered by a LLW, so if I needed to send it back I could just swap out the spare and do without cruise control for the few days it would take for XeMODeX to repair my module under warranty.