Update on the 1500 w/ powerfold tow mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Do you know if it voids the warranty.
No, it does not. If you google the Magnusson act, it explains how dealers cannot void warranties unless they can prove whatever mod you do caused a failure.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 1500 Big horn came with power folding mirrors, but not tow mirrors. I had the dealer install tow mirrors, but I lost the power folding option. I didn't even know that was an option, or I would have asked for them. Now I will just live with what I have.

From what the guys say on here and what my dealer said, the power folding tow mirrors don't come on the 1500's. However, the fit and work fine. My dealer add's them to 1500's as an incentive to buy. However, while my Equipment listing says I have powerfold tow mirrors and I even have the power fold button, my mirrors did no power folding. It's at the dealer who said they need to order motors... and today texted motors are on order. Some member said that's not possible, the motors are internal. So, I assume they just ordered the mirrors or whatever they need to make it work.

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still have a power fold button as well, it just does not do anything.

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

IslandRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The modules in the doors are required to connect the switch to the mirror. Maybe they didn't change the module. when they put the mirrors on.

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ti
To me, that says your truck came with the standard power folding mirrors, just like mine, and the dealer put non power folding tow mirrors on in their place.

It's hard to argue with the window sticker and the phrasing "Power Heated MIrrors WITH Power-Fold Away" no matter how the Equipment listing is interpreted. I guess that could mean stock power folding as you pointed out, but I think if you look into the other details, it's clear thats not what it means.

https://i.imgur.com/XIHcPUd.jpg if the image is not showing up for you.

The equipment listing also says power fold away point blank. "Power-Folding MIrrors". There are further descriptions of the mirrors with the courtesy lamps, which the other stock mirrors do not have as I understand it but the tow mirrors do.

The dealer also has already admitted and is correcting the issue, so without a doubt, the equipment listing and sticker does indeed mean power folding tow mirrors.

I can see what you mean though. There is an argument for both ways since it is listed so many ways but differently.

However when I was buying the truck, the sales person pointed out I had power fold tow mirrors and both my wife, father and myself remember them hitting it and nothing happening. We assumed it was because they did it wrong. And they just went hmm and continued. Now we laugh about it.

I suspect what happened is they intended for there to be power fold tow mirrors, but they only put on the non-power fold mirrors. THey have to order the ones with the motors and program it.

Oddly, the day I took it the dealer called and said they replaced the switch working on other issues. THen called the next morning and said ordering new motors for it, which I interpret as ordering the actual mirrors w/ motors.

One will never know --- However, I am sure it will all work when I get it "today".

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ti

It's hard to argue with the window sticker and the phrasing "Power Heated MIrrors WITH Power-Fold Away" no matter how the Equipment listing is interpreted.

I think the point he is making is, if they changed your mirrors to towing mirrors, it would say how it was built on the equipment listing sheet, but the dealer may have changed it when they took delivery. If they added tow mirrors and didn't go with power folding, you would lose the ability to power fold.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
that indicated the normal, NON TOW version. TOW is not referenced

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ok, so according to your equipment list and window sticker, your truck was built and delivered to the dealer with black power folding NON tow mirrors, heated, with puddle lamps and turn signals. Your dealer installed NON power fold tow mirrors. Doesn’t matter what terminology they use about motors, but all they need to do is swap the out the regular tow mirrors that are on there now with power folding tow mirrors. You already have the modules for the power fold away feature from the factory. Your bcm is already enabled for puddle lamps and turn signals from the factory. The only other thing you need to make sure the dealer does, is add the sales code “LEG” to your truck. This is what makes the tow mirrors move in the same direction as the buttons when they are flipped up.

aladin_sane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ti

It's hard to argue with the window sticker and the phrasing "Power Heated MIrrors WITH Power-Fold Away" no matter how the Equipment listing is interpreted. I guess that could mean stock power folding as you pointed out, but I think if you look into the other details, it's clear thats not what it means.

The equipment listing also says power fold away point blank. "Power-Folding MIrrors". There are further descriptions of the mirrors with the courtesy lamps, which the other stock mirrors do not have as I understand it but the tow mirrors do.

The dealer also has already admitted and is correcting the issue, so without a doubt, the equipment listing and sticker does indeed mean power folding tow mirrors.
Since none of the documents you showed have the word tow in them, I'm not sure how you are inferring that they indicate you should have power folding tow mirrors.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Since none of the documents you showed have the word tow in them, I'm not sure how you are inferring that they indicate you should have power folding tow mirrors.
Correct. This is an example, according to the equipment listing and window sticker, of how the truck was built and delivered to the dealer from the factory. Note the turn signals and the power fold feature as evidenced by the drivers door module with the power fold away button directly below the mirror directional button.
https://www.premierchryslerjeepofpl...ails/used-2017-ram-1500-slt-1C6RR6GT6HS519111

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Correct. This is an example, according to the equipment listing and window sticker, of how the truck was built and delivered to the dealer from the factory. Note the turn signals and the power fold feature as evidenced by the drivers door module with the power fold away button directly below the mirror directional button.
https://www.premierchryslerjeepofpl...ails/used-2017-ram-1500-slt-1C6RR6GT6HS519111

Do you know what the equipment listing for "Power-fold tow mirrors" is?

Picked up the truck today. Painters tape over the mirror fold button and front window buttons. Said dont use the power fold at all, and wait 2 days for the tint to adhere before using the windows.

My tint was fixed, both dings fixed. Mirrors on order, said to arrive the 12th. Mirror Module on order which should fix the Uconnect issue and them not folding also to arrive the 12th. Half the issues are fixed. I think the rest should be fixed the 12th no problem.

We shall see.

Last edited:

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont think it is possible to have power folding tow mirrors on a 1500, unless it changed for the 17/18 years. The 2500/3500 could have power folding tow mirrors but the 1500 mirrors were manual fold. They must be installing tow mirrors from a 2500 to make them power fold.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Do you know what the equipment listing for "Power-fold tow mirrors" is?

Picked up the truck today. Painters tape over the mirror fold button and front window buttons. Said dont use the power fold at all, and wait 2 days for the tint to adhere before using the windows.

My tint was fixed, both dings fixed. Mirrors on order, said to arrive the 12th. Mirror Module on order which should fix the Uconnect issue and them not folding also to arrive the 12th. Half the issues are fixed. I think the rest should be fixed the 12th no problem.

We shall see.
On a 1500 there IS no equipment listing for power folding tow mirrors because they don’t exist. On a 2500, the line item would say “Power Black (or Chrome) Trailer Tow Mirrors”. That does NOT mean that the power folding tow mirrors can’t be added after the fact.
“Mirror Module on order which should fix the Uconnect issue and them not folding also to arrive the 12th.”...This make absolutely no sense. Mirror module and power folding have NOTHING to do with Uconnect. You already have the correct power fold module. The ONLY thing that the dealer needs to change is the mirrors themselves from the non power folding ones to the power folding ones. And don’t forget to tell them (yes, at this point, it’s time for you to tell them what they need to do) to add sales code “LEG” to your truck.

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a 1500 there IS no equipment listing for power folding tow mirrors because they don’t exist. On a 2500, the line item would say “Power Black (or Chrome) Trailer Tow Mirrors”. That does NOT mean that the power folding tow mirrors can’t be added after the fact.
“Mirror Module on order which should fix the Uconnect issue and them not folding also to arrive the 12th.”...This make absolutely no sense. Mirror module and power folding have NOTHING to do with Uconnect. You already have the correct power fold module. The ONLY thing that the dealer needs to change is the mirrors themselves from the non power folding ones to the power folding ones. And don’t forget to tell them (yes, at this point, it’s time for you to tell them what they need to do) to add sales code “LEG” to your truck.

The mirror module was throwing a code. When it did, it wouldn't allow the assist/911 button work.

I recorded my conversation with Uconnect who explains it. Enjoy.

I used vocaroo because my phone records in .amr format. Youtube etc do not accept and I didn't feel like converting.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Rx9rCFC4HB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgdfb401ev9kezt/call_15-52-30_IN_+18009921997.amr?dl=0

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The mirror module was throwing a code. When it did, it wouldn't allow the assist/911 button work.

I recorded my conversation with Uconnect who explains it. Enjoy.

I used vocaroo because my phone records in .amr format. Youtube etc do not accept and I didn't feel like converting.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0Rx9rCFC4HB

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jgdfb401ev9kezt/call_15-52-30_IN_+18009921997.amr?dl=0
Really ??

So if your mirror module just happens to go out, you can't call 911 or get help ???

sounds kinda dumb

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really ??

So if your mirror module just happens to go out, you can't call 911 or get help ???

sounds kinda dumb

I had the same question. The first person to explain this to me was the tech via a text. I told them I am coming to get the truck since the parts are on order and they can call mew when they are in. Okay. Get the truck, on my way home, Matt from Uconnect calls me. I had the exact same question, what the hell does my mirrors have to do with my radio/assit/911? He said he didn't know he would contact the dealer directly and call me back. The second call was the recording. Whether its true or not I do not know, but the parts are in the 12th, and its supposed to be fixed. The only thing I can think of perhaps it wasnt explain clearly is there is some common relay the modules share that is shorted. Otherwise it's terrible design.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are your 911/assist buttons on the rear view mirror? That’s the only thing I can think of that would associate a “mirror module” with uconnect.

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are your 911/assist buttons on the rear view mirror? That’s the only thing I can think of that would associate a “mirror module” with uconnect.

Yes.

I will admit, I am only a diy guy who can do the basics mechanic work and posses no serious mechanic skills, I also do not have a degree in electrical engineering and do not claim to have one. I still cannot see why the rear view mirror would be connected to the other mirrors except through dimming which is the only commonality I can think off. I mean they're heated too, if my a/c/heat module goes out, does that mean I lose all the functionality of the mirrors? Of course, there may be something I am missing. Either way, I am very hopeful and believe it will be fixed sometime in the near future, hopefully close to the 12th. They did fix the tint and the dings. So, I have no qualms, except it took them 4 days to fix two simple things. But that seems to be every dealer. The simpler it is, the longer it takes black hole.