Update on the 1500 w/ powerfold tow mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why does the mirror module for power folding external mirrors have anything o do with the rear view mirror inside the truck where the buttons are ??

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bet the mirror module they have ordered is for the rear view mirror, not the side mirrors. The rear view mirror is used for uconnect.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Too Too Funny Post!! Some fool will buy that truck and be a Ram basher...lol.

**** My two cents for what its worth. I have a 14 Ram Laramie with 49000 miles....only time it went to shop was navigation unit failed....They put a whole new head unit in and solved the issue. I have "manual Fold Tow mirrors" I would have bought" Power fold Tow mirrors" when ordered truck if they existed. They do not exist. This 14 is the third Ram with a hemi I have owned all have been 1500's and all Laramie's. The 2003 and 2011 both had over 80000 miles when Traded them with no issues at all. The 2003 never even had any thing replaced not even a battery with 112000 miles traded it in 2011 and the 2011 went well over 80000 miles with no issues. This 2014 has the 4 corner air suspension which is awesome! I would buy Power fold tow mirrors in a heartbeat if I could. The new 19 Laramie has them.
Ram truck is a solid truck with much reliability with good care. You can abuse any thing no matter what the quality is to be a POS.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
You can add Power Fold Sport or Tow mirrors to any Ram 1500/2500/3500 from 2013 Onward. Just Mirrors, Window Switch, Door Modules and Programming.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am not sure what your dealer is doing to your truck to get power fold tow mirrors on. That would be a lot of work and cost to install them, if they weren't there in the first place. But, according to your build sheet, you should have had the power fold option for standard mirrors. I wonder where they went?

Just to throw this out there....you CAN get aftermarket power fold tow mirrors for your RAM 1500 if it already has the power fold option installed from the factory. I purchased mine from 1AAuto (advertiser on this site). http://www.ramforum.com/threads/new...heated-puddle-light-signal-power-foldi.51286/

I had their previous version installed for two years and then got to test their warranty process. I ended up returning the defective mirrors for a full refund and purchasing the newer version that they have on their site, the Trail Ridge brand. The Trail Ridge ones are as good as the factory mirrors. https://www.1aauto.com/2013-16-ram-mirror-pair-trail-ridge-tr00042/i/trmrp00042?f=1111810&y=2015

I bought the reinforcement brackets from the large auction site. ;)

When I bought my 2015, I made sure that the cost of programming the LEG code was on the dealer and I wouldn't have to cover it. When I installed the mirrors and took the truck back for them to flash the code, they did it with no hassle. That allowed me to flip the mirrors into the vertical position and have the same action from the switch going left, right, up, down.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
and if you already have power folding mirrors all you need is the power folding tow mirrors and the reinforcement brackets to handle the weight and wont need to be programmed.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
and if you already have power folding mirrors all you need is the power folding tow mirrors and the reinforcement brackets to handle the weight and wont need to be programmed.
For the towing mirrors, he will have to get the flash to allow the switch to work when the mirrors are moved to the vertical position.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rusty942630

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why does the mirror module for power folding external mirrors have anything o do with the rear view mirror inside the truck where the buttons are ??
The rear view mirror and the driver side mirror with the dimming feature work together.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The rear view mirror and the driver side mirror with the dimming feature work together.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
OP has tow mirrors, which aren’t available with auto dim

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Yes, but the OP has a truck that came from the factory with power fold 1500 mirrors and the dealer swapped in tow mirrors.

So the module is expecting feedback from the mirrors that aren't there. So, the driver side dim feature is part of the rear view mirror dim (and if it is a higher end model, the passenger side dims too).

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
They don’t have anything to do with each other, and certainly nothing to do with uconnect. They don’t dim together. If light shines in the rear view and not the driver side, the rear view alone dims. You can beat the driver side mirror off with a bat, and the rear view mirror will still work. This is pretty simple stuff, and this mod has been done thousands of times before.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Pretty sure that is not true....I do believe my towing mirrors have auto dim.......................at least on the drivers side

They don’t have anything to do with each other, and certainly nothing to do with uconnect. They don’t dim together. If light shines in the rear view and not the driver side, the rear view alone dims. You can beat the driver side mirror off with a bat, and the rear view mirror will still work. This is pretty simple stuff, and this mod has been done thousands of times before.

Cut & paste from my 2012 owners manual:

Driver’s Automatic Dimming Mirror — If equipped the driver’s outside mirror will automatically adjust for glare from vehicles behind you. This feature is controlled by the inside automatic dimming mirror and can be turned on or off by pressing the button at the base of the inside mirror. The mirror will automatically adjust for headlight glare when the inside mirror adjusts.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’m not sure about 09-12s, but 13+ like the OP’s, no auto dim driver tow mirrors.
I stand corrected on your other point.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I tested my diming when I first got my Big Horn because I thought the passenger side was also supposed to dim. I tested it by holding my cell phone flashlight up to the rear view mirror sensor. Both the drivers side and rear view mirror quickly dimmed (this is how I learned that the passenger side didn’t dim).

Try it, you will see... Plus, where would a separate sensor be to dim just the drivers side mirror?

OP
OP
17Veteran76

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I got called the 13th by Matt at Uconnect. Part (the module) was supposed to arrive the 12th. He said he called the dealer who said the part didn't arrive and the ordering system says the part is now on back order with no estimated arrival time. Matt told me he'd contact FCA and ask to expedite or find a part from another dealer/vendor for me considering the truck was bought new and not a part failure in an already owned vehicle.

Matt from Uconnect has been awesome. Guy goes beyond the call for a representative.

I can't lie, I am a bit bummed and disappointed I have a truck that doesn't have 5k miles and has a part failure from the get-go that is on back order. Does that part fail so much they keep no inventory or its rapidly depleted?

I am pretty sure my mirrors don't dim. If you go to your settings and controls it list things like auto dimming, your cameras and so on. While I do have the "auto dim" listed, it is not functional.

Auto dimming Rear View and exterior mirrors are listed per my build sheet. There is a whole lotta f*&k going on with the truck and the mirror features.

I suspect it will all work when the parts come in. I am going to call FCA come the 1st of may and complain if nothing has changed.

But for now, time to go finish painting the shed in this cold weather. I'll probably end up having coffee with pop and complaining about liberals.

1.jpg

2.jpg