Upgrades for the RFE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
This is just a list i’m compiling for people who want their vehicles transmission to last a bit longer and to make it a tad more fun to drive.

To start:

Valve Body Gasket Separator Plate - 40$ on eBay

The stock separator plate offers no protection from cross-leaks, and tends to help out with the VB OE Channel plate warping in high heat and causes many issues, especially with causing the ODs to burn themselves out.

Sonnax Oversized VB Accumulators/Thicker Accum Plate: 100$ on eBay

The stock VB accumulators don’t offer enough seal to them, so at higher line pressures the fluid blows through the seals on the sides and in most times causes the crappy tin can accumulator plate to blow off the side of the valve body which will make you lose all gears.

Oversized TCC Switch Valve: 57$ on eBay

The stock TCC Switch Valve in the Valve Body isn’t milled properly, so it scratches the bore and then ruins the VB entirely. It requires drilling, but its well worth it.

The channel plate is what’s going to kill you, they’re around 500-600$ for one. The OE one is fine if you keep your temps low and have a gasket on the VB. If you don’t have a gasket, you’re going to get cross-leaks at higher LPs and burn out clutches. The OE separator plate isn’t even good for stock engines as they offer no gasket and will cause leaks/warping in the future of the vehicle.

Reminder to check on how many check balls you have BEFORE you buy the gasket plate. If you have a GRAY solenoid connector, you have 5 check balls. FIVE check balls to CLARIFY. If you have a WHITE solenoid pack, you have 7 CHECK BALLS and will require a 7 CHECK BALL GASKET/SEPARATOR PLATE.

If you put a 7 CHECK BALL separator plate on a 5 check ball valve body, you will get codes P0846 and P0871, and will be sent directly into Limp Home mode. You may also get P0882. This is also the same if you put a 5 check ball sep plate on a 7 check ball.

You won’t do any damage as the vehicle recognizes this before any damage can be done, but you need to pay attention. When taking the screws off the VB, be sure to NOT STRIP THEM and to MAKE SURE THEY’RE GOING ON CORRECTLY. Any and i mean ANY amount of cross-leaking is NOT your friend and will only hurt you.

Now, to move on:

Sonnax Oversized OD Clutch Drum - 709$

The RFEs are known for weak OD clutches, as Chrysler didn’t put in enough to handle the power from the engines there behind. This is specifically geared (no pun intended) towards the Hemi, as the Hemi only makes 3 less pound feet of Torque than what the 65RFE is rated for at its max. Having a bad VB like stated before doesn’t help it out either.

68RFE Deep Pan (revmax): 369$

You DON’T really need this, but it helps out a lot.

The stock pan is way too shallow and the neck of the filter is way too close to the bottom for higher performance applications of the RFE.

If you shell out all the cash for the stuff above, you can expect your RFE to last as long if not longer than the 8sp. Good luck to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm going to resurrect this thread after 9 months to see if there's anything new out there.

Owner of 2017 Ram 2500 with 6.4L Hemi & 66RFE trans. Already got rid of thermostat in trans oil cooler line, trans oil running normal temps now.

I'd like to correct the design issues with the RFE Valve Bodies, but don't know how to do it piece by piece - nor want to leave the truck out of commission that long. Has any tried these rebuilt Valve Bodies by RevMax and Sonnax? Comments?

RevMax (for 68RFE, might work with 66RFE) $1,150

Sonnax $619

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
@HEMIMANN - I too am really interested in any valvebody info for the 66RFE. What the OP posted is great info as are the links from you, thanks. Beefing up the trans would be a sigh of relief for sure, a diy vb swap great option for me. The fewer the parts the better so an assembled vb is highly coveted here. But I dont think the listed Sonnax reads to be as well built as the OPs mod list and the RevMax company seems to be diesel oriented. But maybe the listed Sonnax is enough improvement for an N/A engine, my impression is that near anything is better that the stock vb.

The Revmax reads to be right in the wheelhouse, maybe I'll call them and check their compatibility with the 66, unless you possibly already have?

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anything to help this transmission is a plus. I love my truck but man do I hate the 66rfe trans. I have been considering the valvebody and solenoid upgrade to hopefully help with the hard 6-5-5-4 downshifts.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Something to add to my previous post is that I don’t have these harsh downshifts if I have any kind of weight added to the bed or towing a trailer. Maybe the weight just softens it to the point I can’t feel it. Other than the downshifts it does just fine. Also I don’t notice it until the trans is warm after driving for about 10-15 min. I’m getting ready to do a fluid drop and filter change to Amsoil SS. Thinking about doing some upgrades while in there. Gotta check the funds first though.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@HEMIMANN - I too am really interested in any valvebody info for the 66RFE. What the OP posted is great info as are the links from you, thanks. Beefing up the trans would be a sigh of relief for sure, a diy vb swap great option for me. The fewer the parts the better so an assembled vb is highly coveted here. But I dont think the listed Sonnax reads to be as well built as the OPs mod list and the RevMax company seems to be diesel oriented. But maybe the listed Sonnax is enough improvement for an N/A engine, my impression is that near anything is better that the stock vb.

The Revmax reads to be right in the wheelhouse, maybe I'll call them and check their compatibility with the 66, unless you possibly already have?
Nope - haven't gotten that far yet. Too busy right now, plan to do upgrade in the spring just before next towing season. We don't tow much in winter in the upper midwest. I suspect the RevMax uses Sonnax pistons and maybe other parts, which is why I thought about going to Sonnax directly.

1dbcoleman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi stroked to a 6.4
The only part that will help is the billet OD clutch drum. And I'm sorry to say if you have higher than stock hp. Your in for trouble.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only part that will help is the billet OD clutch drum. And I'm sorry to say if you have higher than stock hp. Your in for trouble.
What do you mean? I’m confused by this post.