Engine upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nawlinssaints1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 RAM classic 5.7 with many upgrades. I would like to increase the horsepower and make it more fun to drive. I have considered forced air, but I want the motor to last. So now I am thinking of a camshaft with a new tune. Would like to do away with mds. Has anyone tried to do this? Any idea on cost? Thank you very much.
Modifications: air grabber intake, BBK headers shorts, h-pipe, muffler delete, BBK throttle body, throttle body spacer, throttle controller, 2 inch lift, Rough Country (very stiff), nitto 35’s, Moto rims, Rockford fosgate system, foldable bedcover, aftermarket grille with inset lights. Probably forgetting something. It is a Warlock not 4 wheel drive. Thanks again. I enjoy reading your comments, everyone has a lot of knowledge. IMG_1679.jpeg

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a gander at my signature. It shows my build so far. Or look into my build thread. The throttle spacer is useless in these engines. Depending on your power goals you may want to swap to go long tube headers. Also when you get a tune they can adjust your pedal sensitivity to get rid of the pedal booster. Look into doing the v6 efan swap when you get your tune and swap to a 180 or 190° tstat at the same time. There are plenty of cam options. Moes is now offering a no tune mds delete cam. Essentially you would just get a tune to tune out mds and no need to pay for a cam tune. I’m on a toss up between the no tune cam or going full blown with a torque cam and refreshing the top end. Any questions feel free to ask. Or @Wild one is great help as well.
http://www.moes-performance.com/

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
First thing is to throw those BBKs in the garbage and spring for a decent set of long tubes,and a decent catback system that increases the pipe diameter from 2.25" to at least 2.5" .Then bite the bullet and spring for an unlocked PCM / bypass cable and a decent HP tune,that should take care of most of your budget for now,once you recover from that,then you can think of a cam,but be forewarned most cams aren't going to give you a huge boost in usable truck power,unless you go fairly big on the cam and stick a 4,000 style stall convertor in the transmission.
One other option that gives you way more bang for your buck then a blower is to put a 50 to 75 shot of nitrous on it.You'll never hurt the engine as long as you don't get stupid with it. Up to a 75 shot,you can get away with the stock tune,as long as you run colder plugs and keep the tank full of 93 or 94 octane fuel,if all you have access to is 91 octane,stay with a 50 shot and colder plugs.