Upgrading my truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanrebel0911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey everyone! I recently just bought a 2021 RAM Rebel 5.7 Hemi. I bought it with 71xxx miles. It is completely stock. I have found the exhaust I want to install. I also just ordered an S&B CAI for it. I want to lift it about 4-5 inches. I want to do a suspension lift and want my truck to be level. I cannot afford a lot so I have been looking at RC suspension, but I have heard good and bad things about them. What do you guys recommend? I do not know much about automotive work. I never had anyone to teach me about it during my 29 years of life, and I am learning from Youtube. I also want to upgrade the wheels. I am considering XD, and Fuel. I want black wheels since my truck is Maximum Steel color. I do not make a lot of money, however I opened a savings account just for my truck. Any answers and help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks yall!

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you do a search through the forum you will find a lot of discussion on upgrades. Look in the 5th gen general discussion sticky threads best mods under 100 and what did you do to your 5th gen this week. Regarding your CAI the consensus is generally not to spend the money. The intake of the stock truck is pretty well designed. For the lift, don't use the cheapest you find and affect quality. Nothing worse than a poor handling truck. Good luck, and enjoy the ride.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Hey everyone! I recently just bought a 2021 RAM Rebel 5.7 Hemi. I bought it with 71xxx miles. It is completely stock. I have found the exhaust I want to install. I also just ordered an S&B CAI for it. I want to lift it about 4-5 inches. I want to do a suspension lift and want my truck to be level. I cannot afford a lot so I have been looking at RC suspension, but I have heard good and bad things about them. What do you guys recommend? I do not know much about automotive work. I never had anyone to teach me about it during my 29 years of life, and I am learning from Youtube. I also want to upgrade the wheels. I am considering XD, and Fuel. I want black wheels since my truck is Maximum Steel color. I do not make a lot of money, however I opened a savings account just for my truck. Any answers and help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks yall!
Sound advice above! Doing research & asking questions is a great start.
Check with Nick @GotExhaust, a vendor on this forum, great prices & awesome customer service!
Post some pic’s, Max Steel is my favorite color.

Attachments

• IMG_9563.jpeg
    IMG_9563.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 3

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^^^^^^^This 100%^^^^^^^^^^^
Nick or Quickshifter will point you in the right direction
Stay away for RC, if budget is an issue, save until you can get a quality lift.
Good Luck !

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll be the buzz kill guy. As a father and a cranky old fart I’m going the route of my dear old dad. Save your money. A truck is a 5 thousand pound money pit. You have a nice newer vehicle and the Rebel is already a nice looking truck. You state you don’t make a lot of money and not much experience with automotive. Lifts can be expensive and they cause increased wear. It’s very possible at some point you’ll encounter a problem that will be above your ability and it will cost money to repair. Rims and tires will be a few thousand dollars. Everything adds up to a lot of money you admittedly don’t have. Reading your post I had my father’s voice going through my head which I rarely listened to in my youth. Save and pay the truck off early, saving even more in interest payments. That’s my advice as an old man to a young man.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
YouTube is a great tool. Keep things simple to start with and just upgrade over time. If any of your friends are mechanically inclined, get them to help with the bigger jobs. Do a bolt in muffler or cat back and tips, get black out badges if they're not already, window tint and roll it for a bit. I'm lucky in that I grew up in a mechanic household and my dad was a huge car guy, but slowly invest in good tools and watch lots of videos, you'll be amazed what you can do with a jack and stands at your house.

Since you mention you don't make a lot, keep in mind that a lift and bigger wheels/tires is going to hurt fuel mileage. You might want to consider a level kit instead. I'm in a similar situation, I do ok but I don't make a killing and I commute 45min-1hr. My truck got ~17-19mpg average before and now gets ~15-16 average with the 3" Bilsteins and 35x11.50s. I'm considering going back to stock size tires due to the fuel mileage. Just food for thought.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First I'll echo what mr. buzz kill said. Save your money for now and get the truck paid off. You might also put a little away for any possible repairs that you might need since the factory warranty has expired. Wheels and tires and lift kits are common mods. But keep in mind that increasing tire size and lifting will impact fuel economy. Since you're on a tight budget you'll want to consider fuel costs into the equation.

But, if you're like most kids (no offense, but at 29 you're still a kid) you'll ignore that advice and start upgrading now. So if you really feel like you need to modify, here is my advice. Before you buy anything, write down what your goals for this truck are. Be realistic and keep your budget in mind. Then research the parts you'll need to reach those goals and decide on the best parts that fit your budget and goals. The worst thing you can do is spend money on something like a set of long tube headers. Then a year later you decide you want to add a turbo, so those expensive headers will need to be swapped out.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I’ll be the buzz kill guy. As a father and a cranky old fart I’m going the route of my dear old dad. Save your money. A truck is a 5 thousand pound money pit. You have a nice newer vehicle and the Rebel is already a nice looking truck. You state you don’t make a lot of money and not much experience with automotive. Lifts can be expensive and they cause increased wear. It’s very possible at some point you’ll encounter a problem that will be above your ability and it will cost money to repair. Rims and tires will be a few thousand dollars. Everything adds up to a lot of money you admittedly don’t have. Reading your post I had my father’s voice going through my head which I rarely listened to in my youth. Save and pay the truck off early, saving even more in interest payments. That’s my advice as an old man to a young man.
First I'll echo what mr. buzz kill said. Save your money for now and get the truck paid off. You might also put a little away for any possible repairs that you might need since the factory warranty has expired. Wheels and tires and lift kits are common mods. But keep in mind that increasing tire size and lifting will impact fuel economy. Since you're on a tight budget you'll want to consider fuel costs into the equation.

But, if you're like most kids (no offense, but at 29 you're still a kid) you'll ignore that advice and start upgrading now. So if you really feel like you need to modify, here is my advice. Before you buy anything, write down what your goals for this truck are. Be realistic and keep your budget in mind. Then research the parts you'll need to reach those goals and decide on the best parts that fit your budget and goals. The worst thing you can do is spend money on something like a set of long tube headers. Then a year later you decide you want to add a turbo, so those expensive headers will need to be swapped out.
As an old grouchy fart myself I have to say, I never understood the point of lifting or lowering. It does nothing for the performance of the truck, it only looks cool. I've bought all my trucks to haul crap and tow stuff...period. As long as they aren't painted pink or purple and do the job I bought them for, I'm happy. Save your money for the important stuff, and do the cool stuff when you can afford it.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never had any issues with Rough Country on my personal vehicles or installing them at my shop. I would recommend a better one but hey if that's all you can afford now, go for it. The ride will be rough though

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
As an old grouchy fart myself I have to say, I never understood the point of lifting or lowering. It does nothing for the performance of the truck, it only looks cool. I've bought all my trucks to haul crap and tow stuff...period. As long as they aren't painted pink or purple and do the job I bought them for, I'm happy. Save your money for the important stuff, and do the cool stuff when you can afford it.
My, you are a grouchy old fart, aren't you? :evillol:

I'm definitely one to spend money on looks when it comes to our Limited. But then again I don't use it to tow or haul anything. It's the wife's choice to daily drive it, and who am I to argue with her? I use the F150 when I want to do "truck stuff". I don't mind beating up a 10 year old truck.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My, you are a grouchy old fart, aren't you? :evillol:

I'm definitely one to spend money on looks when it comes to our Limited. But then again I don't use it to tow or haul anything. It's the wife's choice to daily drive it, and who am I to argue with her? I use the F150 when I want to do "truck stuff". I don't mind beating up a 10 year old truck.
Any man who tries to tell his wife what to do,is either stupid or nuts,or both :Big Laugh: After 39 years of marriage,i've finally figured out who's boss in the house,it ain't me:Big Laugh:

Warlock2024

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Any man who tries to tell his wife what to do,is either stupid or nuts,or both :Big Laugh: After 39 years of marriage,i've finally figured out who's boss in the house,it ain't me:Big Laugh:
Been married for 27 years after being single for 36. Found out on day 2 who the boss is!! :rotflmao:

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
So I guess it all boils down to what you want to do with your truck. You mentioned a lift and bigger tires ok why? Are you going muddying overlanding or mall crawling. YouTube is a good resource but take everything with a grain of salt. Wrenching on your truck can be both satisfying and frustrating. My old fart advice is buy the best parts you can afford and know your wrenching limitations. Somethings that may seem daunting may be simple and vice versa remember patience is a virtue.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I’m 6 foot tall and I can stand up in it

Attachments

• IMG_0918.png
    IMG_0918.png
    599.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3281.jpeg
    IMG_3281.jpeg