Used Engine Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
I was wondering....

I just had to have a blown engine replaced. The shop got a used engine from a local salvage yard. When I asked how many miles were on it, they just stated "over 100,000." Is this normal for them not to know the mileage?

Thanks in advance....

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you posted in another thread that you were paying $2000 for all the work???? In my experiences for that much you should be getting a motor with 000,000 miles on it!!!
And yes they should know the exact amount....

Sent from my VS920 4G

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
2k for installing a used motor is a pretty fair price in my opinion. And lets face it, you're not going to to find a used engine for an eleven year old truck with less than 100 k on it unless grandma wrecked her "only go to church on Sunday" dodge last week.

Machine work alone to properly bore, hone, and balance a rebuilt long block by a local shop with a good reputation would be at least that. Please notice I'm not talking about rebuilding companies who churn them out by the semi load.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those miles..... Its steep. I bought and had a 302 long block bought and installed for $1500.... It was a rebuilt long block with 0 miles....

Sent from my VS920 4G

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I blew my engine back in February. My truck is a 2003 with the 5.7 hemi. I found a Hemi out of a 2006 with 60,000 miles at a local salvage yard, they were asking $2300. After a few days of back and forth I got the engine for $1800. I was pretty happy with that. I installed it myself. If I had paid a shop to install it, it would have been another $1500-$2000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
Yeah it costed an exact total of $1,860. That was for the 'new' used engine, and the labor of installing it. The salvage yard gave a 90 day warranty on it, and the shop gave me a 12,000 mile/1yr warranty on labor. I live in a small town in the boonies, and the folks that run this shop are real good people. Very honest thus far. I just thought it was kinda strange that they wouldn't have been told the exact mileage. I'd have liked to know. I'm crazy with record keeping especially in regards to my truck.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
The shop who installed in might not know...maybe the supplier kept a record of the motors parentage. Is there a inventory record (yellow paint) on the engine anywhere?

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
The shop who installed in might not know...maybe the supplier kept a record of the motors parentage. Is there a inventory record (yellow paint) on the engine anywhere?

I'll go pop my hood and check this afternoon once it stops raining and I'll let ya know......

Do you think if I can find the name of the Salvage yard, and I call them, that they may be able to tell me?

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
yeah honestly I would have just ordered a crate engine for 2k, to have my mechanic order it through his factory supplier on one of my old trucks and install it it was $4k for everything under the hood new, and it was only $3k if I ordered the same set-up from an aftermrket company and had him install it and that up here in AK where they charge a rediculous amount to ship everything... Unfortunately I totalled that truck before I really got that project started

OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
I was pondering how much a brand new engine would have costed me. Figured it'd have been CRAZY expensive. I hope this one lasts me a while though. So far so good. She still sounds like she has some balls to her, lol. It does sound a bit different. Trying to get used to it.

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
$1,900 for the engine and install is a damn fair price I hate to say. Most shops around here charge $80 to $100 an hour for labor and while I don't have the Alldata in front of me I'd be willing to bet it's and 8 to 10 hour job. I use to rebuild my own stuff but the cost any more just isn't worth it unless your doing a purpose build. IE racing engine or pullin motor somthing like that. Jasper is a hell of a great place to get rebuilds but I don't know how far out they go.
A junkyard engine is a gamble as you don't know how it was takin care of before you. Keep the oil changed and keep it tuned up and you should get plenty of miles out of it. I know it sounds dumb but keeping your oil changed really is the best way to get the most miles out of your engine, every 3K to 5K miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PinkCamoDodge

PinkCamoDodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v8 5.9
$1,900 for the engine and install is a damn fair price I hate to say. Most shops around here charge $80 to $100 an hour for labor and while I don't have the Alldata in front of me I'd be willing to bet it's and 8 to 10 hour job. I use to rebuild my own stuff but the cost any more just isn't worth it unless your doing a purpose build. IE racing engine or pullin motor somthing like that. Jasper is a hell of a great place to get rebuilds but I don't know how far out they go.
A junkyard engine is a gamble as you don't know how it was takin care of before you. Keep the oil changed and keep it tuned up and you should get plenty of miles out of it. I know it sounds dumb but keeping your oil changed really is the best way to get the most miles out of your engine, every 3K to 5K miles.

10-4. I have always been very on top of my general maintenance. Growing up with a step dad (who's no longer around) who was an ASE Mechanic for fourty something years.....I at least picked up on the nessecary stuff bein a lil grease monkey runnin around in the shop when I was little, lol.

Kerrylee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L, 350 CID
I was pondering how much a brand new engine would have costed me. Figured it'd have been CRAZY expensive. I hope this one lasts me a while though. So far so good. She still sounds like she has some balls to her, lol. It does sound a bit different. Trying to get used to it.

If there is no economy bar for you go for to purchase a new engine but if you wish to make some saving then you can go with swapping your engine with a used one. There are many options while swapping as you can go with a new or a pre-owned engine that cost much lesser and come with some years warranty or miles to go far.

Purchase a used engine is much preferable with saving money