Used parking brake maybe 8 times now it’s saggin?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok so my brake cable is still sagging and I have been putting it off (prob shouldn’t). I’ve read a couple threads and google and some people mentioned removing the axle to fix the issue ? WTF? Removing at Axle to fix a stuck brake cable ? Little pissed right now.... truck 3 years old

60% of the time it works every time....

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Technically you are supposed to remove the axle to get to the parking brake setup to replace the shoes and hardware. However it can be done without doing that, at least I've seen it done on YouTube lol.
My brakes are a rusted mess so I had this same problem with the cable.
Follow it back to the wheel, it attaches to a small lever. This lever is probably stuck forward. I sprayed the heck out of everything with blaster and used a little persuasion (screwdriver and mallet) to tap it rearward, thus straightening out the cable. I'll try to get a pic later.

Of course this might not be a permanent solution if your parking brakes are a mess but it will at least get the cable back where it belongs!

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a couple pics.
With parking brake on, lever is forward (not a lot of travel)
20200824_161606.jpg
With parking brake released, lever should move back toward rear of truck
20200824_161918.jpg
These are pics of drivers side, passenger side is same but flipped upside down so lever is on top. Because ya know, they had to make it more confusing.
Basically, if you can get those levers freed up that should take the slack out of the cable.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Here's a couple pics.
With parking brake on, lever is forward (not a lot of travel)
View attachment 219668
With parking brake released, lever should move back toward rear of truck
View attachment 219670
These are pics of drivers side, passenger side is same but flipped upside down so lever is on top. Because ya know, they had to make it more confusing.
Basically, if you can get those levers freed up that should take the slack out of the cable.

Thanks! I pulled it towards the back and the cable tightened up. Sprayed some deep creep but still sticks [emoji2369]. Maybe a better lube ? Not sure I’ve seen PB in Canada. I know I live in a salty winter area but come on!

I wonder if they would cover this under extended warranty

60% of the time it works every time....