Valve cover gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About how long does it take to change the valve cover gaskets on a 2007 5.7 litre ram engine?
I’m trying to get an idea before I tackle this job. I’m a pretty good donut yourself mechanic.
Any special tools needed or anything to look for while doing this?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Donut yourself LMAO
No special tools, just LOTS of patience. It isn't hard to do, it's just a PITA, especially getting anything from the back of the driver's side. Just need sockets, ratchet, a few different length extensions, sockets (8 & 10 mm if memory serves, plus plug socket) & alot of patience. Did I mention patience....? Pull the coil packs, pull the spark plugs, move the bits of harness out of the way & pop 'em off. The gaskets are just o-rings. Any kit you get should have the main outer one and the smaller ones for the spark plug tubes; replace them all. Be very careful when you reinstall not to pinch the main o-ring at the back end. Removing the airbox & tube on the passenger side opens up so much room.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I have found that donuts are superior to beer if a timely and correct reassembly is the goal.

Not speaking from personal experience on your specific engine, but in general, torquing valve covers properly is often overlooked and leads to leaks. Be sure you have the right torque wrench for the specs.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that info guys. I assumed it wouldn’t be a whole lot to it. But I knew it wouldn’t be like something of the seventies or earlier with plenty of room and only four bolts. I will be talking this job before too much longer, hopefully.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Post some pictures...

...of the donuts

Do tell what you get for gasket brand and any special tells for getting the huck bolts (the ones that make you swear)
Cost in August / September USD?

I always go the extra and uses thread lock blue medium 242. The last thing I want frustrating me and making a mess is a bolt that vibrates out a smidge and later starts to weep oil again. I can confidently park on anybody's driveway without concern for leaving a mark.