VARARAM GARBAGE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
That looks like the Mopar CAI kit for the 5th Gens

Ram AIr FLow OEM Kit

$800 or so, at most places.

Randy did a heck of a terrific job painting it to match his truck.
Keeping the flexible part, Black, was inspired.

Have seen many, painted, Cold Air Intakes.
Randy's the cleanest, best looking I've yet seen.

Makes the job I did on my 4th Gen look Amateurish.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
I just added the K&N 63 series to my 1500. I hear no additional Noise. Without a dyno and/or a drag strip have no idea if it gains any more HP/TQ. BUT I have added washable/reoil type "gauze" filters for two reasons and it has happened on EVERY vehicle I have done it to! (even the 3.1 rust bucket Buick Century- that is my winter car) and the Buick got only an air filter replacement in the stock air box. The two reasons: 1) cost one air filter for the life of the vehicle (usually 12-15 years) 2) mpg increase always got at least 1 mpg more, my Victory has gotten 5 more, Ram just shy of 2. Have never cared about HP/TQ gains (except the 66). For instance even with the 3.55's in my 16 ram 1500 and the 6 Spd. auto at 65-70mph it is only spinning at just under 2,000rpm. That Ram Air style just looks like a dirt collector. I saw a few guy that "opened up" the hood "scoops" on the ram hoods. That is such a tiny opening and the air has to turn in many directions to get to were it is going. Hood scoops need to be up and in the air flow, and have a LARGE unrestricted opening, to function. Ant the ones like on the 66 are there for the 5,000 - 7,000 RPM window where that car can live. We have all done and will try things that do not work as advertiser suggest they will work. But that is how everyone else we talk to finds out. Always remember "OPPS" fixes everything!

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram AIr FLow OEM Kit

$800 or so, at most places.

Randy did a heck of a terrific job painting it to match his truck.
Keeping the flexible part, Black, was inspired.

Have seen many, painted, Cold Air Intakes.
Randy's the cleanest, best looking I've yet seen.

Makes the job I did on my 4th Gen look Amateurish.
Thank you very much.
And under 500 used.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Unless your taking this truck to the track to squeeze out every possible horsepower available why not just get a Fram. Never understood this at all.
Because its so Purdy!

For me, brings back fond memories of my Buddy's old Road Runners & Chargers.
Nothing like what I had, in my 69 GTO but, even still, makes me remember that one too.

Just something about a nifty neat looking intake that gets the Gear Head Juices flowing.
Like an engine idling, with a Hefty Cam, just something about that the Sound of it.

Imagine, if you will, seeing the most perfect set of uh, um, Head lights, yeah, head lights, on a good looking Gal.

Just something about it, even if you don't really understand it......

sam darakjy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Tradesman Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Because its so Purdy!

For me, brings back fond memories of my Buddy's old Road Runners & Chargers.
Nothing like what I had, in my 69 GTO but, even still, makes me remember that one too.

Just something about a nifty neat looking intake that gets the Gear Head Juices flowing.
Like an engine idling, with a Hefty Cam, just something about that the Sound of it.

Imagine, if you will, seeing the most perfect set of uh, um, Head lights, yeah, head lights, on a good looking Gal.

Just something about it, even if you don't really understand it......
I guess..I had a 2017 Laramie with the 5.7 and dual exhaust from factory and sounded pretty good as is.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I guess..I had a 2017 Laramie with the 5.7 and dual exhaust from factory and sounded pretty good as is.
Little tidbit for you,you're 17 wasn't dual exhaust,it had dual tailpipes,but it was still a single exhaust from the engine to the single muffler,where it morphed into 2 tailpipes from the single muffler to the rear bumper.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Back to the Thread Vararam Garbage...After all my B.....n I have to also drop a compliment.
I contacted Vararam Industries direct after my other avenue did not produce any help.
Vararam is sending me a replacement unit that is designed for Police & Fire units. The lid is pressure fit and tested at VARARAM before delivery. It has a Special designation in that the filter is some sort of Fiberglass component that is modified to prevent ash and the like from entering the throttle body via the filter. That in conjunction with the filter sock I should be good. Not worried about HP etc just wanted a functional Old school look...thank you Vararam for stepping up !

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Little tidbit for you,you're 17 wasn't dual exhaust,it had dual tailpipes,but it was still a single exhaust from the engine to the single muffler,where it morphed into 2 tailpipes from the single muffler to the rear bumper.
Damn... ya ruined it for me.... I swear it was a true dual right off each factory header ;)

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive been running mine since 2019. It has never been wet after driving in the rain, spray, interstate speed. Im assuming Canadian rain is just as wet as US rain, but yall have some funky stuff up there.
Now the snow, I can’t speak a whole lot to. I live in a pretty temperate climate. The whole time mine’s been on, the AGS slats were removed too. I did also pay extreme close detail to the under hood sealing.
I can honestly say its a very effective ram air/cold air system.
I guess I could ask for my IAT stats to compare.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ive been running mine since 2019. It has never been wet after driving in the rain, spray, interstate speed. Im assuming Canadian rain is just as wet as US rain, but yall have some funky stuff up there.
Now the snow, I can’t speak a whole lot to. I live in a pretty temperate climate. The whole time mine’s been on, the AGS slats were removed too. I did also pay extreme close detail to the under hood sealing.
I can honestly say its a very effective ram air/cold air system.
I guess I could ask for my IAT stats to compare.
We've got stronger beer up here,so when you'r pee'ing into the wind,the rain is wetter :Big Laugh:

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
That's true provide you do not calculate the cost of fuel you save: on Just the Dakota averaged approx. 2 mpg better for 90,000 miles. Or calculate the cost of all the filters you would buy, again on the Dakota 1 every 15,000 (and the old ones wine up in a land fill somewhere) vs one for the life of the truck when I owned it, and is still in the truck for the neighbor that now owns it. They for sure are capable of cost less. Especially if you keep a vehicle for a bit like I do. Bought the Dakota in 2001. Sold it last spring 2022. Just a garden hose, let it dry ( do NOT use compressed air) re-oil and go. and yes they do improve HP gain!!!! however were that gain occurs is hardly ever -in the RPM band- where I operated the Truck. but the other two reason as listed FOR ME means it has ALWAYS costed ME less Money.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I
Thanks guys..firstly i have not put this unit on. I was just prepping it and the Warlock for when the weather warmed up. The Rad cover is not an issue got another. The slush & wetness factor you speak of Rick I thought ( brilliant mind here ) the sock pre filter would address that. Yep & Yes..my ******** just got kicked around the block. this is a perfect example of MY BAD and nothing to blame but enthusiasm of an old guy
sorry you had to experience this. Thanks for sharing to save others the hassle.

Fit and finish aside, I feel like the design makes sense for a track truck. On the road in mixed conditions the snow buildup scared me too.

Be careful with a filter sock. Don’t have specifics here but have ran a lot of intake systems over the years including track cars with real CAI (longer tubes with the filter I the lower front bumper). Those often had socks or bypasses to avoid wet lock off track.

Bypass worked great, socks worked about like face masks… good particulate filter but useless once saturated with moisture!

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that is good info to have thanks
Update Vararam has sent an upgraded semi fibreglass filter on this Special Service Vehicle model that has the added heat shielding on the underside. Probably will use this as a test unit just to see what happens in rain and snow. Then do a report.