Vehicle movement after putting in park.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 14 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4 BH with 8 speed trans that I purchased recently. The truck seems to move quite a bit after putting in park. I was on fairly level ground so the first time I did it without applying the parking brake it seemed to move then I am use to. Is this normal for this truck?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
normal, you have some play in the axle, transfer case and trans

best way to avoid any movement is to apply the parking brake first

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My crew cab does the same. Guess it’s normal after all the rest of the replies

damnationdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don't know if this helps but I just got a Recall for my 2017 Ram 2500 (Column Shifter only) letting the vehicle pop out of park. Not sure what years are effected.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Keep in mind that when you put your truck in PARK, you are merely engaging the parking pawl in the transmission. This is just a lever that keep the driveline from rotating. It is suppose to have some movement back and forward or it would be difficult to engage and disengage. This issue is 70 years old. As old as automatic transmissions. Any slop in your drive line can make this excessive. U-joints, rear diff, xfer case, ect. As the vehicle ages the 'movement' tends to increase because the driveline wear.

mikesram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every car/truck I've ever owned with an auto transmission has done this. It's normal.

OP
OP

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It just seemed excessive towards the many other rams I have owned.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine will do it sometimes, then sometimes it wont. Whats real scary is when I get in my truck the next time it will sometimes click and roll an inch or two.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That recall has nothing to do with the o/p's truck.
The recall is for column shifters only and does not involve 8 speeds with the rotary knob.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My company GM 3/4 will roll upwards of 6" at times,compared to my 8 speed Ram,it's scary as hell,lol. I don't nose my GM in tight anywhere I don't have at least a foot of clearance.

17Veteran76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My company GM 3/4 will roll upwards of 6" at times,compared to my 8 speed Ram,it's scary as hell,lol. I don't nose my GM in tight anywhere I don't have at least a foot of clearance.

I pull forward until my parking sensors scream at me. Even then there is quite a bit of space between the bumper and object. On the other hand, I don't recall my truck inching forward, not that I'd be concerned if it did. I have a 2016 Big horn loaner while mines at the dealer and it has 32,000 miles. It must of been used for towing or a tester for a speed bump company because everything is looser than a thai ******. Steering, shocks have so much lean they're drunk. I hope this isn't how my truck will be at 32k miles. Jesus. And, when I got on it a little, it had a whine like it had a baby suuper charger, except no super charger. And the seal on the drivers door is leaking. And the cruise control only works sometimes. And, the dealer has it for sale. There is god*mn window stickers in my LOS.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
OP, I agree. It feels like it moves a good 2-6" after being placed in park. I know this is "normal" but to me it feels excessive.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My 16 did it a few times (rotary knob) and I was told by the dealer, stop, engage parking brake then shift into park. Only way would stop it from moving

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some vehicles seem to rock a little farther than others. My Honda Ridgeline didn't seem to rock quite as far. My wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee rocks just as much in park as my Ram does.

autumnwalker

Reaction score
My 16 did it a few times (rotary knob) and I was told by the dealer, stop, engage parking brake then shift into park. Only way would stop it from moving
I have heard this as well.

Regardless, putting the parking brake on should be every time - the parking pawl in the transmission is not intended to hold the weight of the vehicle. I have heard the parking brake before parking the transmission so that it does not put strain on the pawl.

travelinty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard this as well.

Regardless, putting the parking brake on should be every time - the parking pawl in the transmission is not intended to hold the weight of the vehicle. I have heard the parking brake before parking the transmission so that it does not put strain on the pawl.

I'll never put it in unless there is a reasonable incline. Should not have to on a flat surface. After I read this thread to begin with I started paying attn lil more and I'll just pull up now apply the brake down nice and stiff for few secs wait. Pop it in park and it doesn't Rock at all. I've only ever applied parking brake if I'm on a standard always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk