Voice rec is bad.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
My 18 needs to get her ears cleaned. In Florida we have have a hands free law , when I try to use this feature it will call whomever it wants to. I would think after 11 months it would know my voice. Anyone else with this issue? Should i take it in? Updates?

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Sport 4x4: I play with the VR to call up tunes of choice from my USB connected IPod Touch. Worked great since new. Not sure if it’s the Alpine unit or the pod but it now misses the song selections about 75% of the time. Puberty is long since passed so it not my voice changing. UConnect updates make me nervous ( don’t think I’ve had one?) so don’t want to go there. The feature was cool, but not so much anymore.

T.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you using the trucks voice commands, or are you using Siri/Android?

When I use the Siri button (long press the voice button), my phone always understands me. I also do not have any problems with uconnect, I just enunciate and speak slowly.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm using the truck VR fuction on the steering wheel. As I stated, it work pretty much flawlessly during my early ownership...after I discovered it, ha ha. But now it is less perfect. My Itouch has gone through a O.S upgrade or two. It may be that at issue.

But this is also sort of interesting: When I call up a song via VR..and there are multiple version on the ITouch...the system gives me a list and asks "Which one you do want to play?" I say, "Number 2"...the system then goes to some other song other then the one listed on the choice list it just show'd me.

It don't get me to spun out, but it was kinda cool to be able to call up a single track out of 7000+ songs, that I really wanted to hear at that point in time. Maybe I'll re-load the Ipod and see what shakes out after that.

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem solved: Just checked my Uconnect language settings. It was set to “Broken English”. Reset it to “Mercian English” and all is good, NOT !

T.

OP
OP
15 Handicap

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you using the trucks voice commands, or are you using Siri/Android?

When I use the Siri button (long press the voice button), my phone always understands me. I also do not have any problems with uconnect, I just enunciate and speak slowly.
I am using the trucks voice commands, worked better when we first got it.

OP
OP
15 Handicap

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone? Should I take it in? To the point where it won't recognize many words.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Semi related or not: So...2018 RAM CC 4x4 Sport edition at 21120km's on the clock. As I mention above..the voice rec works for music selection most of the time, but.... If there multiple albums that the tune I desire is on...it pulls up a list of these tune/albums and asks "Which one?". When I select "#1" it tends to go to a music selection that is not from any of the posted album lists. That said,..the starting letter of the song (S), say Keith Urbans "Stupid Boy"...turns up to be Taylor Swifts "Style". O.k. so that's a bit of a re-hash of the issue.

Fast forward to yesterday: Back history first. I had the truck sprayed with Krown protective coating on Monday. Yesterday I had the front end alignment done at the local Mufflerman outlet (been going to them for years, great bunch of guys and great service). By late yesterday afternoon the back-up camera checks out (fails) and will not come up on the screen when the transmission is placed into reverse. I can call up the rear cam icon on the Apps screen and select it, and still no camera action. Never thought I'd miss this feature (never had it before this truck) but in fact I do now miss it. So..I contemplate the call to the dealer to set up a trouble shoot date, but I don't make the call. Google is the first response...see what the rest of the world has done to effect a cure on this issue.

Lots of comments about tracing down the harness to ensure there is no corrosion of disconnections between the component wiring plugs and such...there may be three of these harness connection points..one in the actual tailgate area behind the access panel. I've had the recall done on the tail gate 5000kms ago..could that be the issue? Hmm..pull that panel and look? After all, Krown just stuck the spray wand in there, maybe they loosened the connector? Nope I'll hold off on that plan of action for now.

Next: Pull the neg cable off the battery "he says" and this will soft boot the computer and reset everything. Hmmm...that sounds do able and easy. So I go this route hoping for the best, but fully expecting the worst. Well when I reconnect the battery cable (after a couple min's) and power up the radio unit the icons on the screen have totally changed and the back up camera icon is not even present...Oh F*ck..now what? With nothing much to loose I search through the system "Settings" menu and see "Reset to Default" or some such and what the hell..push that and ……...nothing, the new icon display remains and no rear cam icon showing. Well guess I'm gonna make that call to the dealer. I test the tunes function, my Ipod Touch continues to connect and play...voice rec is no better than it was previously. The truck remains parked..and I'm bummed out.

About and hour after the above I've gotta run an errand so fire up the truck and start backing out of the driveway, and bingo bango...the system display is now back to "as purchased" and the rear cam is working again! I have no idea why this happened...but maybe the system had not fully re-loaded or something. Tested the voice rec , asked for "Stupid Boy" got "Style". Don't ya just love technology? (Don't answer that).

T.

OP
OP
15 Handicap

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I called the factory and we performed a "soft reboot". With the windows up and the bluetooth off set the key to "acc" press and hold the phone button and voice command button for 30 seconds, after turn off the key and open the door for 30 seconds. Restart the truck and run it for 2 min. minimum ,then turn bluetooth back on. It worked and all is working as per factory specs.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"...as per factory specs." By this you mean...it can now understand you and find the song you verbally request?

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks...I think I'll try that this weekend.

T.