WARRANTY ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramguy11111

MILITARY
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 with 22,000 miles or 37,000 kilometers.

My factory warranty just ran out and I'm unsure whether to buy a new one from Dodge/Chrysler or a third party.

I'd like your opinions please. I'm an easy driver who maintains my truck religiously.

Thanks -

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a factory extended warranty. Much less hassle. I think there is a vendor in the "Vendor Section" that sells factory warranties. There are some threads that members have talked about specific people and dealerships on the internet that they go to for their warranties because of the reduced cost.
Jay

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get one through mopar and do it online.
Shop around there are substantial price differences - though there are 2 dealers/websites at least that are fairly close and about the best you will get.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
11111: U gonna have to research since U R in Canada, and FCA does things different there, Just Saying....

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought an Added Care Plus Chrysler Warranty for 7 years and 125,000 miles for $1415.00. I thought about the Maxcare, but for the extra $1000, I thought it was overkill, since I have a 2018 Express with no air suspension, navigation, etc., etc.

Anyway, I would absolutely stay away from the awful aftermarket warranties....I had one on my wife's 1998 Mustang a few years ago....a tie rod went bad and they would not cover it. They said it was a pre-existing condition from the previous owner, even though we had the car for four years.

My ex-daughter-in-law worked for an aftermarket warranty company....here famous words were always "not covered" and pre-existing condition".....which I had known that before I pissed away the money.....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had an aftermarket warranty on a Jeep many years ago, they paid out once, but overall very hard to work with compared to the FCA warranty. Get the Chrysler one, it's just plain easier and ALOT more forgiving when you're out of mileage. I blew my outer axle seals on my rear diff 1000miles out of warranty and my dealer fixed it no questions asked. I'm in Canada and that's been my experience.

OP
OP
ramguy11111

ramguy11111

MILITARY
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had an aftermarket warranty on a Jeep many years ago, they paid out once, but overall very hard to work with compared to the FCA warranty. Get the Chrysler one, it's just plain easier and ALOT more forgiving when you're out of mileage. I blew my outer axle seals on my rear diff 1000miles out of warranty and my dealer fixed it no questions asked. I'm in Canada and that's been my experience.

Thank you. I'm in Ontario as well - looks like FCA IS THE WAY TO GO.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my 15 SLT(I'm in Ont.)they asked me if I was interested in a bumper to bumper extended warr, and I laughed at him.I said "Bumper to bumper yeah right is that in writing some where?".He says yes it's the same as the original factory warr. only for up to 7 years and 160 or 170k klms I forget which.I got it because I knew I wouldn't mile it out and get the full 7 years.Fast forward 3 years and less than 50 k, just over time wise and I ask for coverage on a couple of small things and the service adviser says no they're not covered.I said that's funny I paid for bumper to bumper not powertrain and he says well you know it's not really bumper to bumper.Now this was not the selling dealer but they're the only ones that have touched the truck since new.My point is that you really need to know what they are going to cover before you make the jump.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I bought my 15 SLT(I'm in Ont.)they asked me if I was interested in a bumper to bumper extended warr, and I laughed at him.I said "Bumper to bumper yeah right is that in writing some where?".He says yes it's the same as the original factory warr. only for up to 7 years and 160 or 170k klms I forget which.I got it because I knew I wouldn't mile it out and get the full 7 years.Fast forward 3 years and less than 50 k, just over time wise and I ask for coverage on a couple of small things and the service adviser says no they're not covered.I said that's funny I paid for bumper to bumper not powertrain and he says well you know it's not really bumper to bumper.Now this was not the selling dealer but they're the only ones that have touched the truck since new.My point is that you really need to know what they are going to cover before you make the jump.

What were the small things not covered?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What were the small things not covered?

I have MaxCare. I brought my truck in for a vibrating fog light housing. The dealer wanted to replace the housing. FCA stated the housing isn't covered under MaxCare.

That is one example of something not covered after the factory warranty.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My ex-daughter-in-law worked for an aftermarket warranty company....here famous words were always "not covered" and pre-existing condition".....which I had known that before I pissed away the money.....

Did you buy the warranty through a HEALTH insurance company? :hahano:

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have MaxCare. I brought my truck in for a vibrating fog light housing. The dealer wanted to replace the housing. FCA stated the housing isn't covered under MaxCare.

Weird, I'm in Canada so maybe some coverage is different but I had 2x sets of foglights replaced on my 2012 under warranty due to the housing failure, same thing you mention where it was vibrating around. It gave a noticeable "dazzling" effect when in use on the roads. A friend of mine has a 2015 he bought used but still had warranty left and he just had his replaced as well. I'm guessing fog light frames are an issue on these trucks now that I think of it, hopefully the LED ones on mt 5th gen aren't a problem.

my70stangss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a timeframe when you have to buy the extended Warranty?? Can I wait till my factory warranty expires or do I have to buy it before?

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thank you. I'm in Ontario as well - looks like FCA IS THE WAY TO GO.

Agree, FCA is the only way to go! Here in the US, they allow for no interest monthly payments for certain term lengths. No large outlay at one time and they don't ding your credit. I have them bill my CC once a month and pay off at statement with all my other purchases. Another good thing about it is if you decide to renew at the end of the contract you can chose the same plan or another offering with a guarantee renewal at the end of that term. Not sure how long they go overall or age of vehicle but it puts you in control and you always get RAM parts opposed to cheap knockoff/aftermarket junk.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is there a timeframe when you have to buy the extended Warranty?? Can I wait till my factory warranty expires or do I have to buy it before?

Plans are less expensive to purchase when the truck is still under warranty for sure but depending on the plan you want there may be mileage limits on some of them.
I used the site below to get the details and make an informed decision then called them up to get it going. Took about 10 minutes to complete and received my contract paperwork about a week or so later. On the second plan and really haven't needed it but one never knows...

https://www.dodge.com/en/service_contracts/

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not making light of your problems but I also had the same issue with my 2015 RAM and I fixed it myself. I had/have a $100 deductible on my warranty so unless its something major I would rather fix it myself and a foglight wasn't worth a hundred dollar bill to me. I got the warranty for major stuff like cam/lifter problems, tranny problems, U connect going out,etc. I think the Maxcare/Added Care both cover things like shocks too but I would just do those easy kinds of things myself.