Water Getting in from Passenger A Pillar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chefgordiemac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have water literally dripping out of the upper bolt cover of the passenger A pillar. Had this looked at twice and was told condensation from the high mount brake light. Was supposedly fixed. Any ideas?
Is there any recall or manufacturer repair available?
Thanks

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Condensation from the high mount brake light isn't a thing. If there's water coming from that area it's because the 3rd brake light is allowing water to get into the cab (leaking). This is a common issue. There is a warranty extension for some 5th gens, but I'm not aware of anything like that for 4th gens. I'm coming from the 5th gen world, but the problem can be addressed the same way on a 4th gen. Replace the 3rd brake light. Replace the 3rd brake light gasket. Seal the 3rd brake light to the truck with RTV. I wouldn't opt for the last option myself but others have gone that route.

OP
OP
C

Chefgordiemac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean by the "high mount brake light isn't a thing" Can you clarify, please? Thanks

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I combatted this by removing the third brake light and cleaning the areas with a microfiber and alcohol.

I replaced the existing third bake light gasket with a new OEM one.
I then laid down a small bead of RTV weatherproof sealant on the body side and let it set/cure properly.

I then installed the third brake light assembly (new OEM gasket mates with the fresh bead on the body side of the truck to form a tight seal that allows the third brake light to be removed at a later date with zero issues) and screwed it in place evenly.
Zero issues afterwards! ;)

Whilst doing this, I also installed two new LED super bright white cab lights and an even brighter red LED brake light bulb, too (all CanBus/Resistor ready so I don't get any dash messages...lol).

The light output is amazing, and Stevie Wonder could see my brake light now as well :) (there are some dumb ****'s out there, and making oneself more visible, especially when braking is paramount, IMPO).

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks but I'm not sure what you mean by the "high mount brake light isn't a thing" Can you clarify, please? Thanks
I removed the factory seal and replaced it with home weather stripping I had laying around like this (separated into one strip instead of the two pictured).

No leaks in 8 years...a question though, do you have a sunroof? That's a long way for the water to flow and not exactly the path of least resistance. Usually when the water is coming from the third brake light folks find the water on the rear headliner and under the rear seat.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I prefaced what you quoted with "condensation from the". The amount of moisture that might condense inside the 3rd brake light wouldn't fill a thimble.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have water literally dripping out of the upper bolt cover of the passenger A pillar.
Let's talk about water intrusion first of all the A pillar is on the driver's side behind the fender, passenger side is D pillar. Is water leaking onto the drivers side floor board, there is a TSB out for the A pillar, water from the CHMBL will get you a wet headliner, if you have a wet floorboard behind rear seat it could cracked slider window frame or leaking cab vents?

Jas34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There seems to be some pillar confusion in this thread. A-pillar is next to the windshield, B-pillar is between the doors if you have a truck with 4 of them, C-pillar is at the back of the cab. If only 2 doors, then that's the B-pillar. There's a left side A-pillar and a right side A-pillar, etc.

Assuming the op has leak at the C-pillar, as others mentioned, it's likely the 3rd brake light or the cab vents behind the seat. No recall or anything, but there is a redesigned vent that looks like it will seal better long term. I have a pair of them ordered for my truck but they seem to be very slow in coming in. There's also a thread somewhere in these forums where others have had good luck replacing the stock foam gasket on the 3rd brake light with MD auto and marine weather strip.

One trick we used to use to find water leaks was to close the vehicle up with the blower on high (not on recirc), put soapy water on the suspect places and look for bubbles. Not sure if the cab vents in this truck work well enough to keep the cab from pressurizing. If so, covering them would help.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the "A" pillar grab handle is where your water seepage is,
then i would say the moisture is coming from a Sunroof or roof cab lights.
The last places would be a leaking Windshield or a ROOF SEAM

If on the other hand, you water is entering at the rear cab wall up high..
3rd Brake light is the most likely entry point
possibly the rear sliding window or cracked Frame
or a leaking roof seam

if the water is entering low on the rear of the cab, again the rear sliding window drains could be plugged.

Lastly, the rear cab vents can allow water to entry, the water entering there, could ruin the RF Hub that is mounted behind the seats, next to the vents, the first sign of water entry would likely be seen in the carpeting

Good Luck

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Let's talk about water intrusion first of all the A pillar is on the driver's side behind the fender, passenger side is D pillar. Is water leaking onto the drivers side floor board, there is a TSB out for the A pillar, water from the CHMBL will get you a wet headliner, if you have a wet floorboard behind rear seat it could cracked slider window frame or leaking cab vents?
The A pillar is the farthest forward on both sides of a vehicle, and is not different for the passenger side. Quad cab and crew cab trucks have A, B, and C pillars. Regular cab trucks have A and B pillars. We don't have D pillars. A vehicle like a station wagon and many SUV's would have D pillars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357