water in fuel alert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VA DAVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
I purchased a new 2023 Ram 3500 DRW Longbed with 50 gal tank. Ever since I bought it, after it rains, I get the water in fuel filter alert. I have had it in service 4 times now.... and going back in again TODAY. The service guys have been great, but they can't find the issue. They have a star case open, and the engineers can't seem to give them more things to do unless the light is on. The light comes on, then after a while goes off. They DID find water in the fuel filter, and found a cracked fuel filter cap that was replaced. The issue continues to happen (3+ months now). I LOVE this truck, but am ready to file under lemon law. Hoping someone has some helpful suggestions here as I have a lot of money in this puppy... but with water issues, I am VERY worried about long term damage to the intake, engine, and more. I need this fixed, or need RAM to get me a new one. Any suggestions?

To add... I am not getting crappy diesel. I am getting it at different stations (Exxon, Shell, BP, Flying J, etc). Always happens after rain. Today, the engine was bucking when I started driving it. Not a happy RAM owner...and this is ,y 3rd RAM.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible, U have a crack somewhere in the top of the tank/side and water running down from rain is getting in there? Or maybe an issue/ bad fuel filler tube allowing water intrusion? Or maybe a bad seal on top of the tank where the fuel pump is (Not sure on this ref Diesel)? There has to be somewhere water is getting into the tank and entering the system. I would tell them to DROP the tank and check all the added parts, fuel filler and such, but that is just me. And water is gravity driven and always finds the least resistance to flow down, just physics. Other than that, sorry, no more skerry ideas.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This fault (when it rains) is almost always a wiring issue. Could be a bad connection, chaffed wire, etc.

Think about it, it only happens when it rains so water is getting kicked up on the wiring or a connection that is compromised somewhere.

OP
OP
V

VA DAVE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Diesel
Update: After the 5th time in the shop, with an active water in fuel message, they are now saying they think it is a bad wiring harness for the sensors. We will see.... now, to try and find one with the strike going on. Lovely....

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought there was water in the fuel filters also?!?! That means to me that water is getting in somehow. If I read that wrong, then I apologize.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I would look at the top of the fuel tank to see what type of venting is being used, my 06 CTD just had a short piece of tubing sitting in top of the tank for venting, at certain times would allow water to enter the tank...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would look at the top of the fuel tank to see what type of venting is being used, my 06 CTD just had a short piece of tubing sitting in top of the tank for venting, at certain times would allow water to enter the tank...
that WAS my thought ref looking for an intrusion location because OP said he got the Cell and they found water in filter. IF water in filter like he said, there has to be an intrusion point somewhere.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
if this tank is in the bed, what about condensation

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
if this tank is in the bed, what about condensation
I learned the hard way about algae forming in a diesel fuel tank. I had a 1983 Olds Delta 88 Brougham with the updated "DX" block 350 diesel engine. That car got north of 35 MPG on trips! Imagine my surprise when I came out one morning to find diesel fuel had run out of the fuel tank and down the driveway! The bottom of the tank had sprung leaks in several places, no rust around them. I pulled the tank and found a creature like Anachonda inside the tank. It was a huge growth of algae! It had eaten through the steel from inside. The fix was an updated GM tank with a lining to prevent said algae related perforation. That was when I started using an anti-algae fuel treatment, which also kept the fuel "dry".

24 5500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Update: After the 5th time in the shop, with an active water in fuel message, they are now saying they think it is a bad wiring harness for the sensors. We will see.... now, to try and find one with the strike going on. Lovely....
Did it get resolved yet?