Weird noise(s) when backing up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure where to post this, but today I had the opportunity to go for a longer drive with my new to me 2005 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4. Most of my driving up to now have been back and forth to work.

When this happened I was in a parking lot and was trying to pull into a site. The turn was tight, and I couldn't get in with the space I had and I decided to back out. I shifted into reverse and there was a, ticking, clicking sort of noise that seemed to be from the front, for lack of a better word at the moment that happened when the truck was moving and stopped when it stopped. I backed into a site across the way, parked the truck, and went to get what I was stopping for. I pulled out and there was no noise going forward. As I drove down the road at highway speeds there was another noise that I cannot really describe. I stopped, and when I started again the sound was gone. Along with this, another thing I noticed as I was driving around, when I start from a stop with the wheels turned there is like a catching feeling sort of like when locking hubs are engaged on vehicles which have them, at least that I was I remember as a similar feeling from back when I had one, or maybe like 4x4 is on when driving on dry roads.

That is the best I can do in terms of describing this. I am going to have a look after dropping my son off at work, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. I have not been able to duplicate either noise, however, I did test things out in an empty parking lot. From a stop, wheels straight, no issues, nice and smooth. Starting from a stop with the wheels turned in either direction, there is a resistance-catching feeling at first, but it goes away once the truck is moving. It happens in both forward and reverse. If I can go straight ahead for a couple of feet and then turn the wheels it really isn't there, and while driving down the road it isn't there. It really is only from a stop with the wheels turned or if I turn them while I am starting from a stop.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You mentioned that it was not so noticeable backing up with wheels straight.

Did you notice which way the wheels were turned while backing & that you noticed it the most

Also, if you know of a place like a parking lot, where you can back up in a circle, both to the Left & Right. Does going one way or the other make more noise or feel harsher

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Update. I have not been able to duplicate either noise, however, I did test things out in an empty parking lot. From a stop, wheels straight, no issues, nice and smooth. Starting from a stop with the wheels turned in either direction, there is a resistance-catching feeling at first, but it goes away once the truck is moving. It happens in both forward and reverse. If I can go straight ahead for a couple of feet and then turn the wheels it really isn't there, and while driving down the road it isn't there. It really is only from a stop with the wheels turned or if I turn them while I am starting from a stop.
The issue you are describing makes me thing you are hearing the limited slip clutch chatter when turning which is very common with the 9.25 Corporate Axles.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure if I have a limited slip. I will jack it up and check tomorrow. The joys of purchasing a used vehicle. I was planning on changing the rear diff oil tomorrow, so I guess it would be good to know since with a limited slip I would need the friction modifiers.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When it happened the wheels were turned to the right. I have not had any success in duplicating it. If I ever do, I will pull out my phone and try to record it.

OP
OP
J

James Vellenga

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The issue you are describing makes me thing you are hearing the limited slip clutch chatter when turning which is very common with the 9.25 Corporate Axles.
I just got the time to jack up the back end. It is limited slip, both wheels turn in the same direction when I rotate one. I am planning on changing the fluid, so knowing this is good since I will need the friction modifier. I guess I should also get new retaining clips from the dealer before starting this since my wife is away with our other vehicle.