Weird V10 Electrical problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wilson Fink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
I have a 1995 Ram 2500 with the 8.0L V10, and it has a weird problem. It runs great, usually, but randomly at speeds usually 30+ mph it will throw a check engine light and start running very roughly and I lose about 60% of the engine's power. If I pull over, shut the engine off, and restart it, the problem is gone and it is running well again until it randomly happens again. Ideas?

OP
OP
W

Wilson Fink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
I just checked, and it gave me 2 codes, codes 21 and 43
21** 02s sensor does not detect rich or lean condition (signal stays at center)
43** Multiple/ single cylinder misfire
I can confirm the engine is not missing when running normally, it runs very well and smooth, does that mean the computer may be shutting off ignition to certain cylinders or messing up the timing?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
No it means it is missing, under load. That is what you're feeling. I'd start with spark plugs. Once they're good if the problem continues I'd check coil packs. You probably have one that when hot under load it cuts out spark.
Also the O2 sensor needs to be addressed.
It should go without saying but what are the condition of the wires?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wilson Fink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
I very highly doubt that is the issue, the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and both coil packs have all been replaced within the last 150 miles. Because of this problem, the truck never gets out of 2 miles from home, and doesn't really get that hot. That also wouldn't explain why when I pull over and restart the engine the problem is gone, for a random amount of time. I will adress the o2 sensor though, they are pretty cheap and super easy to replace.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Doing the O2 sensor is good. Beyond that, think about what you just said. You just replaced a bunch of stuff and all of a sudden you have a problem you never had before. Did you keep the old parts. If the 02 sensor doesn't fix the problem i would put the old coil packs back on one at a time. I would check the new wires, re-use the old wires, it won't tell you which of the new are bad but it will twll you if it is the wires. Then i would check for a bad plug.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The other thing I read is that your truck doesn't get more than 2 miles from home and doesn't even get really hot.

Engines require full operating temps for them to run at their peak, especially high performance engines like the V10 Viper engine.

I have a friend with an older Viper with the same engine as in your truck. He's a very hands on tech with his car, and with MOPAR's in general. He must drive his car spirited to keep it happy and running optimally.

That engine was designed to be driven. I would definitely address the O2 sensors, make sure you have good fuel in there (maybe dump in a couple of bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment, too) and drive it like the V10 likes to be driven with a good 100+ mile trip with on and off highway driving, including some WOT romps as well.

When was its last throttle body servicing?
Perhaps toss in a new OEM PCV valve while you're at it?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The other thing I read is that your truck doesn't get more than 2 miles from home and doesn't even get really hot.

Engines require full operating temps for them to run at their peak, especially high performance engines like the V10 Viper engine.

I have a friend with an older Viper with the same engine as in your truck. He's a very hands on tech with his car, and with MOPAR's in general. He must drive his car spirited to keep it happy and running optimally.

That engine was designed to be driven. I would definitely address the O2 sensors, make sure you have good fuel in there (maybe dump in a couple of bottles of Red Line SI-1 fuel system treatment, too) and drive it like the V10 likes to be driven with a good 100+ mile trip with on and off highway driving, including some WOT romps as well.

When was its last throttle body servicing?
Perhaps toss in a new OEM PCV valve while you're at it?
The V10 in the trucks are a very different animal than the Viper motor. They run perfect hot, cold or in between. They are also tremendously easy to live with. Mine has over 180000 miles, sounds and runs like brand new. Burns zero oil between 12000 mile oil changes. Still running the original 02 sensor and coil packs. Changed plugs and wires once so far at about 100000 miles. Outside of filters and one serpentine belt rest of the stuff on the engine is the same as the day i got it brand new.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The V10 in the trucks are a very different animal than the Viper motor. They run perfect hot, cold or in between. They are also tremendously easy to live with. Mine has over 180000 miles, sounds and runs like brand new. Burns zero oil between 12000 mile oil changes. Still running the original 02 sensor and coil packs. Changed plugs and wires once so far at about 100000 miles.
Thanks Dean2, I've just learned something new about the Ram V10.

When I hear V10 Viper engine I revert to my friend's older Viper that likes to be driven.

I don't disagree as you have hands on experience with these whereas I have none. But my old school tendencies lead me to the mindset of drive a vehicle to operating temps once in a while to stretch its legs..lol

Hopefully the OP gets his ride all sorted out and running like a champ.

OP
OP
W

Wilson Fink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0 V10
Thanks for all the thoughts! I ordered a new o2 sensor, so I'll wait for that to come and pop it in, then we'll see if that fixes the issue. I really can't do any sort of highway use when I have to pull over and shut my engine off every 5 thousand feet lol.

BryceP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
Hey
So i have been working on the same issue for almost 2 months off and on. but its been sitting unusable. I have replaced everything but the injectors. and some things 2 times. Here it the list. Fuel pump, coils wires plugs EGR, Crank and cam sensors, TPS, ICV, MAP, Computer 2 times, Ignition control module, o2 sensors(2 of them) Bank one and bank 2 2 times. i think im in it 1500 buck at this point. Dont know what to do at this point im about out of knownedg/guesses. Anyone have any clues?? definatly happens when its warmed up. and just have to just tuch the throttle and it will start to do it till i shut off or somtime it will pop and sputter back to life and run /idle fine for a and amount of time then it will do it again. I dont have the correct plug to check OBD1 info not that it will help much.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Hey
So i have been working on the same issue for almost 2 months off and on. but its been sitting unusable. I have replaced everything but the injectors. and some things 2 times. Here it the list. Fuel pump, coils wires plugs EGR, Crank and cam sensors, TPS, ICV, MAP, Computer 2 times, Ignition control module, o2 sensors(2 of them) Bank one and bank 2 2 times. i think im in it 1500 buck at this point. Dont know what to do at this point im about out of knownedg/guesses. Anyone have any clues?? definatly happens when its warmed up. and just have to just tuch the throttle and it will start to do it till i shut off or somtime it will pop and sputter back to life and run /idle fine for a and amount of time then it will do it again. I dont have the correct plug to check OBD1 info not that it will help much.
I assume you are aware of the spark plug wire routing sensitivity? They have to be festooned a certain way to prevent "cross talk". These V10's are sensitive to type of plugs as well. Use only the spec'd Champions and change them out every 30K. My comment does not make sense though that on a restart sometimes all works as it should. My previous truck was a 2003 V10 Laramie.

BryceP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
I assume you are aware of the spark plug wire routing sensitivity? They have to be festooned a certain way to prevent "cross talk". These V10's are sensitive to type of plugs as well. Use only the spec'd Champions and change them out every 30K. My comment does not make sense though that on a restart sometimes all works as it should. My previous truck was a 2003 V10 Laramie.
Yes im aware of these things thanks. it was my dads truck that he gave me when he moved out of state to a city. it only has 85K on it and is bone stock with everything as it should be. he gave it to me without any issues, but started doing this about a month after he gave it to me. I though I had fixed it many times but not... My lates thing is to verify I didn't plug in the O2s' to the wrong plugs, not sure if that would do it but im way past grasping at straws.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Get a scanner that will give and record live data feed information while it is running, leave it hooked up and take the truck for a drive. You have already spent a ton firing the parts cannon and not solved your problem. I find it odd that you haven't even gone to the step of getting the correct OBD reader given the money you haveshelled out so far. Time to get professional about it or take it to a professional because what you have been doing is clearly not working.

I love the V10s, would hate to see one parked for what is likely a pretty simple fix. Best of luck. Let us know what the scanner tells you.

BryceP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
Get a scanner that will give and record live data feed information while it is running, leave it hooked up and take the truck for a drive. You have already spent a ton firing the parts cannon and not solved your problem. I find it odd that you haven't even gone to the step of getting the correct OBD reader given the money you haveshelled out so far. Time to get professional about it or take it to a professional because what you have been doing is clearly not working.

I love the V10s, would hate to see one parked for what is likely a pretty simple fix. Best of luck. Let us know what the scanner tells you.
have not bothered with the pigtail for the scan tool becaus all it will say is missfire and possibly lean on bank one or 2 depending. that equates to 3-5 possible causes.... and yes a simple fix but i have ye to have somwone say other than oh thats a simple thing its you o2 or you have a plugged cat, there is vary liitle found on this issue on the net. thanks for your helpful thoughts

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
have not bothered with the pigtail for the scan tool becaus all it will say is missfire and possibly lean on bank one or 2 depending. that equates to 3-5 possible causes.... and yes a simple fix but i have ye to have somwone say other than oh thats a simple thing its you o2 or you have a plugged cat, there is vary liitle found on this issue on the net. thanks for your helpful thoughts
Okay, do it your way then. Best of luck.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Last edited:

BryceP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v10
Your codes don't make sense.

Try this, depending on your SN and year of manufacture.

If the actaul error codes do not narrow it down enough, I repeat my recommendation to hook it up to a live scan feed tool.
sorry to confuse you with the 55 at the end of the codes. those are from the scan tool the 12 is a battery disconnect and the 43 is a misfire. no other info on the misfire like cyl number,