What activates backup camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
So I'm between buying and aftermarket double din or putting in an 8.4 unit in my 2014 express. I like the responsiveness of the 8.4 vs the aftermarket as anything under $700 seems to have it quirks and lags. I have already installed an aftermarket backup and front cameras in anticipation of going aftermarket. My question is is what triggers the stock 8.4 to show the rear view cam? Is it a 12v signal like the aftermarket head units or another signal from somewhere else in the truck? My goal would be to use a switcher that allows two cameras to go to one input based on whatever has the 12v signal at that time. So the rear view would pop on in reverse (tapped into reverse wire) and the front would be on a push button switch for when I need to get close in a parking lot or something. I just want to make sure the factory harness is triggered by the 12v and not the bcm sending it a signal saying it's in reverse. Cause that wouldn't allow me to use the switch.

If that made any sense at all.... lol

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The computer controls it.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Got cha. So there is no manipulating or tricking the factory 8.4 like you can an aftermarket HU? I guess aftermarket it is then.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you installed an aftermarket cam to the current 8.4? like stated above the 8.4 is controlled by the can bus system.

If you have an aftermarket cam already where did you get the power from? you should just be able to swap the video feed from your 8.4 to the aftermarket (if its already an aftermarket cam.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
So my whole intentions of putting in the front and rear aftermarket cameras were based on me getting a Kenwood double din, which has the Cam button that activates the front camera and the rear is activated in reverse. I thought the aftermarket double din's inputs were triggered by the cameras getting a 12v signal and turning on. After looking at prices and how much the non-leggy units cost, I can get the bigger 8.4 for close to the same price. Obviously, will have to get the sales code added for the backup camera and a new trim piece, but they seem to be a little less leggy and bigger. My only concern is how will I use the front camera? Or will I be able to at all? Not worried about getting the aftermarket camera hooked to the factory wiring harness, just using the front camera easily.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the camera to work on your 8.4 you would have to go to the dealer and have them flash the sales code XAC for your radio to display the camera.

Another option is for a Lockpick. This will open up a lot of options for your radio including the rear camera. You can have up to 5 cameras I think plus be able to program your Nav if you have it, on the run, play DVDs and some other options.

texacoon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2013 Ram 2500 did not come with a tailgate rear camera...

So here is what I have installed already.
My truck already came with the wiring harness for the tailgate lock ...
1) I purchased the Ram camera and and the wiring harness from camera to existing harness in the tailgate from the tailgate lock harness.
2) Had my trucks radio 8.4 turned on (flashed) for the rear camera view .. At this time when I shift into reverse I get the blue screen stating camera isn't connected.
So is there something else I need to add to the wiring harness?

Kinda at a loss here with this rear camera installation.. If you know part numbers that would be great ... Please post

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m doing the exact opposite from the OP. I find the lag of my 8.4AN when controlling my iPhone 8+ maddening. Everything is extremely slow to respond.

I’m going to a Kenwood 9905S (don’t need NAV as my phone does it) because in my testing it’s lightning fast.