What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This weekend I'll be figuring out why my truck is burning rich but doesn't trigger any lights. Gonna be fun.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Scanned the truck today.
Spit out a 0308 and a 0300, in additon to the 0307 I already scanned for.
She was PISSED at me monday. :D

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine has been pretty temperamental as well. I get to check for a stuck fuel injector tomorrow. I noticed the last few days she's been burning extremely rich lately. I mean rich enough that when she starts you can smell gas under the hood AND a rich exhaust due to the exhaust leak I have. I haven't seen any fuel leaks though, so I guess I've got that going for me.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nah, half the fun of all that torque is making noise and laying down some rubber, LOL. Show the Honda guys how it's done. :p

How much did the work set you back?

All said and done with everything I'm about 3200 in it. That's for quality gears, truetrack, full rebuild of both axles and labor.

It lays rubber for sure though. Rained yesterday and bout killed me even. I need to rotate my tires pretty bad too already

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
lost the drive shaft on the flat bed with my slide in wrecker unit. had to use my knocking 454 to tow it home a 80 mile round trip, the kicker is I was driving to check out 3 new wrecker when the driveshaft gave up and sheared off.

Anyone know what will swap with a long wheel base for the rear drive shaft on a 2500 1999 4x4 46re with a dana 70 (I think) in rear? also busted up yoke on diff

Attachments

• IMG_06911.jpg
    IMG_06911.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_06901.jpg
    IMG_06901.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 19

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Holy ****, man. Good thing it didn't decide to angle upwards and drill a hole through the truck/you. I can't answer your question but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to just let a REPUTABLE drivetrain shop take a look at it.

After owning it for three months, I finally got around to playing with my new Motive pressure bleeder. The brakes in my truck work fine but I figure I could replace a little fluid anyway since it's got that strong green tea color. Works sweet and easy. Considering how easy it is with this baby, I could totally see bleeding the brakes once a year just to keep clean fluid in the system.

Rears had a little air in them, totally cleared now. Was gonna do the fronts but the bleeders appear to be 10mm (vs 8mm on the rears) and I could not for the life of me find my damned 10mm wrench. I really need to get some tool organization going, LOL.

Sucker cost me $150 when I bought it (included a bunch of adapters for various master cylinders) but what can I say? It kicks ass and no need to pull a second person to do it the old fashioned way.

Also, dug up my old brake calipers and disassembled them so I can rebuild them. Of course, I once again demonstrated an incredible lack of foresight and only after spending an hour pounding out the old pistons (man, those things were a real PITA to knock loose) did I decide to remove the old bleeders. Of course, one of them sheared clean off but luckily the other just barely worked it's way out (any more pressure and it would have sheared for sure). So basically, I've got one caliper ready to rebuild and the other has a busted bleeder stuck in it. Oh well, I figure to buy stuff for two calipers and rebuild the good one, swap it onto the truck and then put the new stuff on the caliper that I pull off.

Now, I will say that these calipers fit the hand real nicely. The weight balance ain't half bad either. Would make a wicked knuckle duster. If I ever decide that I need to punch out a window or just want to destroy something with my fist without hurting my knuckles, I'll grab one of these and let it eat! :crazy:

Last edited:

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
If anyone has a 2500 4x4 with a 46re could they please measure the driveshaft from yoke to yoke?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
picked up a driveshaft complete for $100, going to change out u joints, lube her up good and once I drill out differential yoke bolt it all back up

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
took driveshaft to be rebuilt and balanced, removed the yoke from dana 70 rear end, found out pinion bearing is toast, anyone every changed that? Or is a new to me axle the better bet?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Seems like I'm blowing this thread up, ah well.

Anyone know what to look for on a 3500 dually v10 auto 1996, not familiar with the v10s, guys willing to trade for my ninja, figured it'd be better than trashing my flatbed for towing cars.

In addition going to get a rear end tomorrow for the flat bed, from same guy I got the drive shaft from. Hour drive, but **** dana 70 for $350, better than having mine rebuilt.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well, went out to do a little detailing but first made my usual preps. In other words, I got pretty drunk and then popped Metallica's "Ride the Lightning" into the CD player and cranked it the hell up. Doing so, I noticed that my passenger side rear speaker is starting to rattle, meaning both of my passenger side speakers are basically toast. Guess the 20-year old speakers could only take so much full-volume heavy metal before giving out. I really need to get some new ones. The front one is getting especially fuzzy.

Cleaned up the engine bay a little bit. I was honestly surprised how well a little water and a rag worked on the oily stuff that had built up on the valve covers. Now that they're clean, maybe I can determine where that stuff is coming from.

I also found that my plug wires were pretty much all over the place, no longer routed as per that TSB. Guess I must have forgotten to place them exactly as they were during my last spark plug change. Got them back where they should be, although the coil wire really is way too long. Need to get myself some of those Davis Unified 10mm deals so I can just loom them all nice and pretty rather than stretching them around the vacuum lines and stuff just to prevent them from cross-firing.

Last night, I stayed up till 4 AM and when I was totally tanked, I did everything I could to convince myself to hit the "checkout" button on Hughes' website for an AirGap intake manifold. I didn't succeed but that was probably the closest I came. Oh well, maybe some day...

Learned that my sister is planning to buy an automatic '06 Mustang, so I offered her a grand for her '00. It's got a 3.8 Essex with a 5-speed and I've already got a list of sweet stuff to buy for it. All I can say is if the deal goes through, she's gonna be pissed when I outrun her $20,000 'Stang with her former $1,000 'Stang with $2,000 of engine stuff. ;)

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
My driver's speaker was starting to rattle as well. Changed em to some cheap Pioneers like 2 years ago, put the amps on em and they sound great.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did some exhaust work.... Threw on a Thrush Turbo muffler, it wasn't my first choice but I needed something quick and cheap. After pulling both front and rear o2 sensors at different times I determined that my factory muffler some how clogged up.

She runs amazingly well now.

Edit: I mean my lurching while accelerating is gone too. So another funny story. My bolts from the cat to the exhaust manifold were loose... I mean loose enough that I could move them with my fingers. So someone has replaced the cat before it seems.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I did some exhaust work.... Threw on a Thrush Turbo muffler, it wasn't my first choice but I needed something quick and cheap. After pulling both front and rear o2 sensors at different times I determined that my factory muffler some how clogged up.

She runs amazingly well now.

Edit: I mean my lurching while accelerating is gone too. So another funny story. My bolts from the cat to the exhaust manifold were loose... I mean loose enough that I could move them with my fingers. So someone has replaced the cat before it seems.

Heh, mine was getting plugged up too when I put my Thrush Turbo on it years ago.
Went to a 14inch Magnaflow a friend gave me and love it.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Heh, mine was getting plugged up too when I put my Thrush Turbo on it years ago.
Went to a 14inch Magnaflow a friend gave me and love it.

Mine used to be a city truck. My only thought is that they suffered the plenum issue, had that fixed, replaced the cat, and ignored the muffler.

I say that because the cat was loose around the exhaust manifold. The bolts were rusted really good but the nuts were soo loose that I could shake the cat where it bolted up to the manifolds. I did the Plenum fix when I first got it to be on the safe side. Exhaust was the last thing I could think of. I'll probably replace the cat just to be on the safe side though.

I've actually got a video of how loose the bolts were.

https://goo.gl/photos/iTFZD73Zs756P95d9

In the video I say I was burning rich. I mean it was so bad that when I would fire the truck up you could smell it by the front tires. Not unburnt gas.. burnt gas. I did notice that since I fixed all this the smell of gas is gone completely. Prior to this I could smell it at the exhaust in the back too. Time will tell.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Mine used to be a city truck. My only thought is that they suffered the plenum issue, had that fixed, replaced the cat, and ignored the muffler.

I say that because the cat was loose around the exhaust manifold. The bolts were rusted really good but the nuts were soo loose that I could shake the cat where it bolted up to the manifolds. I did the Plenum fix when I first got it to be on the safe side. Exhaust was the last thing I could think of. I'll probably replace the cat just to be on the safe side though.

I've actually got a video of how loose the bolts were.

https://goo.gl/photos/iTFZD73Zs756P95d9

In the video I say I was burning rich. I mean it was so bad that when I would fire the truck up you could smell it by the front tires. Not unburnt gas.. burnt gas. I did notice that since I fixed all this the smell of gas is gone completely. Prior to this I could smell it at the exhaust in the back too. Time will tell.

Well that's cute. lol Probably replaced the whole deal and didn't torque them down all the way, so they loosened up.

Mine I put a new muffler on it because I hated how it sounded, gained some power out of it. Then the cat started rattling, slapped a new one in it and didnt' get anything out of it. lol Swapped to a Magnaflow and got some more vroom out of it.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
new shocks, ball joints, and coil spacers for the dually v10. got it aligned and two new tires. Still need an idler arm but will get that soon. also purchased a toolbox for it, and new front bumper.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
She undergoing some changes.

Attachments

• 20170807_202403.jpg
    20170807_202403.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170806_160325.jpg