What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
done quite a few things to the trucks lately,

Swapped a rear end in the flat bed, with a 2wd model 3.54 gears, ( I know shouldve matched to 3.55 for front but the search was very slow! couldn't wait longer)

installed led lights in the flatbed, got rid of reverse lights (not required any longer in TX, plus they only worked half the time) installed some side steps on this one.

Bought some oil and filter for v10 3500 (current wrecker truck I use), also installed headache rack on that, rear view camera, train horn and compressor adapter for airing up tires. Cleaned it out, needing to change oil pan gasket. Also got front winch installed and a hitch up front. Two new tires, and lost a dually simulator cap on rear.installed some running boards on the dually too pics to come .

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
3.54 vs 3.55 isn't enough of a difference to matter.

From factory it's very common on 3/4 ton trucks to have "mismatched" gears.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can have a 0.02/0.03 variance before you gotta worry.

Well I've been spending some money lol. Just dropped $2000 for a Vortech V3 headunit and another $395 for billet brackets. I also ordered a 95 T-Bird oem fan ($65), Neon SRT4 2bar map sensor and connector ($50). In a day or so ill be buying a Hollister Road fan controller for the T-bird fan. For those that don't know, the 17" electric T-Bird fan will pull over 4000cfm of air on high, runs high amperage though at 28ish on low and 40ish on high. 2 speed fan. I'll update later on when i install it towards the end of November.

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed a 60" Tailgate LED Strip. Works great.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You can have a 0.02/0.03 variance before you gotta worry.

Well I've been spending some money lol. Just dropped $2000 for a Vortech V3 headunit and another $395 for billet brackets. I also ordered a 95 T-Bird oem fan ($65), Neon SRT4 2bar map sensor and connector ($50). In a day or so ill be buying a Hollister Road fan controller for the T-bird fan. For those that don't know, the 17" electric T-Bird fan will pull over 4000cfm of air on high, runs high amperage though at 28ish on low and 40ish on high. 2 speed fan. I'll update later on when i install it towards the end of November.

Can't wait to see how that old motor handles the boost.:favorites13:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Well it currently has almost 207k...AND I likely won't have it on and going for awhile. MAYBE if I'm lucky I can have it done for Mopars in the Park in June.

YOU CAN DO IT!

I have faith in thee Peppy.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
New (well used) steering column and a new Dorman steering shaft.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I too have a dorman steering shaft!

Replaced the oil pan gasket on the dually wrecker. Just a note on the 2wd 8.0L v10 you can change the oil pan gasket without raising motor:)

taking the dually wrecker to lubbock tx tomorrow, to look at a 94 chevy topkick rollback for a decent price. I hope it is what i'm looking for its about a 6 hour drive!

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Did you have a problem installing the pinch bolt on the steering gear box end?

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just got my new tires installed. 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. 10 ply. Got a sweet deal on them from Discount Tire Direct. Man, they look friggin' awesome, much more aggressive than my old AT3s. Treads are almost 2/3" thick. Zipped down the gravel on the way home and it hardly felt any different than the hardtop. Ride is definitely firmer overall and I like it. Doesn't feel as springy going over bumps in the road or gravel.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just got my new tires installed. 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. 10 ply. Got a sweet deal on them from Discount Tire Direct. Man, they look friggin' awesome, much more aggressive than my old AT3s. Treads are almost 2/3" thick. Zipped down the gravel on the way home and it hardly felt any different than the hardtop. Ride is definitely firmer overall and I like it. Doesn't feel as springy going over bumps in the road or gravel.

I require pics.
How much did they set you back? I'm looking at getting tires towards the end of next year possibly, maybe summer. Can't decide if I want to stick with 285/75s or step up to 305/70s.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Dude, I'd love to post some pics, especially since I've had the DUI wires and headers installed. The engine looks so much better after that stuff. It's just that Photobucket had to pull that stupid, ridiculous **** move and I've yet to actually look for another free third-party image hosting service. Really, I'm just lazy but it'd be out of character for me to do otherwise, LOL.

Point me to a good free-to-use image hosting service and I'll post all the pics you could want. :happy107:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ordered a different airbox earlier this week since the snow's on the way. Thinking about just sticking to the factory unit. I love my open-element deal but the filter just gets gunked up too damned quick out here. Even a dry, paper filter plugs up real quick. A "closed-style" air intake just seems to make more sense out here in the sticks.

So far, I'm loving the new tires. The thicker sidewalls have really firmed up the truck in the corners and the steering response is much faster. And they roll through the gravel like it's not even there. Gonna be real curious to see how they do in the snow. I filled them up to 50 lbs but the truck was way too darty and bump-steered a bit. Dropped them down to 40 and it's perfect. Curiously, that pesky part-throttle surging that I had going on has almost completely disappeared now and gear changes are almost imperceptible. These heavy buggers absorb a lot.

Almost smashed a deer heading to work yesterday. I really should know better to be driving 70 MPH in the dark this time of the year. Small bugger but a deer that size totally destroyed the front of my dad's Expedition at a similar speed a few years back. It's amazing how much damage a deer hit can do. Starting to wish I would have shelled out for a bigass bumper earlier this year. Was originally gonna get a brush guard until I started reading and discovered how useless they are against deer hits. Guess it just takes a 200 lb chunk of steel hanging off the frame to have a chance against doing anything, LOL. Anyone have such a thing and nailed a deer that can provide any input?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Effectiveness of brush guards against deer depends on the style of the guard, sturdiness, mounting points and style, and where the hit is.

I've seen deer bounce off trucks with brush guards and I've seen brush guards DESTROY the frame rails.

Same thing with HD replacement bumpers.

Got some of my car/truck parts in today. 100 bucks worth of rear brakes for the Dodge. Shoes, hardware and drums all from Power Stop.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
My old deezee took a big for at 50 and nothing moved. Hit her shoulder with the vertical bracing of it and spun her around