What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Replaced my upper radiator hose and changed my oil and filter. I also took a picture of the inside of the intake. I haven't replaced the plenum plate and wanted yall's opinions on whether I need to be concerned with what I'm seeing as far as buildup in the intake. I will eventually replace it, yet have other issues to resolve and if you guys think I will be good for a while longer, then I will hold off on the plenum for a little while.

5akm.jpg

Change the intake gasket as soon as you can. The pinging you hear under load is very bad for the engine.

blkbaretta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Too much rain today...but yesterday:
Seafoam'd
Changed Oil
Deleted Muffler
Installed new 6x9" Door Speakers
Installed new JVC Media Player Head Unit
Replaced Map Light Switches
Put in a new air freshener...

It was a good weekend :)...

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Change the intake gasket as soon as you can. The pinging you hear under load is very bad for the engine.

Thanks for the reply. By intake gasket, are you referring to the "plenum repair"? I thought that I should be more concerned with pooling of oil in the intake, more than what appears to be carbon buildup. Thanks again for any insight.

Mike

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks for the reply. By intake gasket, are you referring to the "plenum repair"? I thought that I should be more concerned with pooling of oil in the intake, more than what appears to be carbon buildup. Thanks again for any insight.

Mike

You won't always get the excessive pooling but will have the excessive pinging to go with it.
That's the way mine was.

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You won't always get the excessive pooling but will have the excessive pinging to go with it.
That's the way mine was.

Understood and thanks.... Sorry for the thread hijack....:D

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Replaced my upper radiator hose and changed my oil and filter. I also took a picture of the inside of the intake. I haven't replaced the plenum plate and wanted yall's opinions on whether I need to be concerned with what I'm seeing as far as buildup in the intake. I will eventually replace it, yet have other issues to resolve and if you guys think I will be good for a while longer, then I will hold off on the plenum for a little while.[/IMG]

What you are seeing is normal pcv leftovers. Have a look at the photo below and you will see what I am referring to. I don't tell people to look down the TB, I don't tell people to remove and use a mirror to look inside the intake for pooling oil, these are false tests in my op. My op is simple always consider this gasket to be blown out or leaking and just do the job. Just doing it will give you peace of mind that it has been dealt with 100%. I also am not a big believer in the aluminum plate to replace the steel plenum plate, there is not enough movement between the two to cause the gasket to fail that way. It was all about Mopar using the wrong gasket material in the first place. Use the right gasket and keep the steel plate and save some cash by NOT buying the aluminum plate.

This was off my motor many years ago, the plenum gasket was not leaking but you can clearly see the oil pattern caused by the pcv system. As you can see that pattern is right under the TB so just looking in means nothing at all.

Oilpattern_zpsa45b32b2.jpg

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
And if you install an oil catch can like me, you don't even have the PCV splatter in the intake. :D

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks DD94, I've read it and have a printed copy to have it handy. To save myself here, I washed my truck today and tried Meguiar's Ultimate Black on the mirrors, exterior door handles, step pads and rear bumper plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Thanks Merc225hp, I hadn't heard that staying with the steel pan was a possibility before. I guess I always thought that the plate should be the same material as the intake. Thanks for the additional information.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Thanks Merc225hp, I hadn't heard that staying with the steel pan was a possibility before. I guess I always thought that the plate should be the same material as the intake. Thanks for the additional information.

Glad to have been able to offer some insight on it for you :) Save that $90 for a night out. It has always been a misnomer that the two different materials were the cause of this problem.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Purchased a dana 60 front, dana 70 rear and a safety rack for it today for $700. Pics and bom numbers tomorrow :D

Trucks going places, gonna be big and tough by the summer me thinks. See if he has the rear DS!!!!!!! So have you started lookng at new wheels yet lol.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Checked the oil, trans. fluid, coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid and catch can. Topped off the brake fluid (**** burns off somehow, NO, I have no leaks) and dumped a third of a can of Seafoam in it left over from the lawn mower.

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Checked the oil, trans. fluid, coolant, PS fluid, brake fluid and catch can. Topped off the brake fluid (**** burns off somehow, NO, I have no leaks) and dumped a third of a can of Seafoam in it left over from the lawn mower.

lol brake fluid level does down as the pads wear and calipers stay in the extended position holding more fluid. Next time you change your pads and compress the calipers, better have a rag under the master because it's going to overflow.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
lol brake fluid level does down as the pads wear and calipers stay in the extended position holding more fluid. Next time you change your pads and compress the calipers, better have a rag under the master because it's going to overflow.

Hmm, I always thought it just burned off over time like steering fluid. Every part of my braking system has been replaced. lol

Dodge96Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
If your steering fluid level goes down, you have a leak. Brake fluid level going down with time is normal. It will go back up next time you change the pads and compress calipers.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I do have a leak in my gearbox. lol But I think that might be partially related to the fact that it's overfilled. :idiot:

kpd12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Glad to have been able to offer some insight on it for you :) Save that $90 for a night out. It has always been a misnomer that the two different materials were the cause of this problem.

LOL!!! I'm 43, with kids, child support and a job that I'm on call for 24-7. Night out definitely gets a "laugh out loud"... :Big Laugh: Thanks again, though...