What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Oh okay, so 72 in-lbs then 2 turns for both?

Yep, where as normally you do 72 in-lbs and 2 turns for the front then 72 in-lbs then 2 and 7/8 for the rear.

Actually it may have been on Dodge forum. I'm not sure now. Lol

Either way I did that a while back and it doesn't slam into OD like it used to. Not as hard anyway. It used to feel and sound like I would gear rear-ended when OD would engauge.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Yep, where as normally you do 72 in-lbs and 2 turns for the front then 72 in-lbs then 2 and 7/8 for the rear.

Actually it may have been on Dodge forum. I'm not sure now. Lol

Either way I did that a while back and it doesn't slam into OD like it used to. Not as hard anyway. It used to feel and sound like I would gear rear-ended when OD would engauge.

Right on, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Gave the "new" wheels an oven cleaner soak this afternoon to finish cleaning them up. Clean as a whistle now. Wish I would have just done the oven cleaner instead of wasting money at the car wash now... that's what I get for tryin' something different haha.

Forgot to get pics though, so I'll try to remember to snap a few before sanding and painting.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Gave the "new" wheels an oven cleaner soak this afternoon to finish cleaning them up. Clean as a whistle now. Wish I would have just done the oven cleaner instead of wasting money at the car wash now... that's what I get for tryin' something different haha.

Forgot to get pics though, so I'll try to remember to snap a few before sanding and painting.
What wheels did you get?

Think I'm going to buy a tote box for the cab of my truck to put all my junk in. recovery strap, ratchet straps, jumper cables, spare headlights, etc. As I don't have a tool box that **** just floats around in the cab making it look like junk.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So today I decided to run Torque Pro and check some sensors with the truck all warmed up and I noticed something off.

Today's High was about 69-75ish here.

https://i.imgur.com/XWdH1bV.png

According to Torque Pro my Intake Charge Temp Sensor says my intake air temp was 122F-123F.

However when I graphed it out I got this number.
https://i.imgur.com/at0HeGs.png
51F I've seen this graph give off the wrong readings a few times so I don't trust it much. That first reading of 122-123... I trust that though... All the other sensors in that section are reading the correct numbers. Either way I suspect my Intake Charge Temp Sensor is faulty. It was previously coated in oil for an unknown number of years but for sure a minimum of 3 since that's how long I've had it. I cleaned it up and my truck ran great for a brief spell. I think this might also explain why I'm burning through gas at an alarming rate. Will replace tomorrow and report back.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So last night when I went out to my truck, I put the key in the ignition and got exactly NOTHING. Didn't occur to me until after that happened that the dome light didn't turn on when I opened the door. Popped the hood and lo and behold, the battery terminal that I've been saying, "I really need to replace that soon" broke. Yup... positive wires had divorced themselves from the positive terminal as if to say, "Nope, I quit." So I jammed it up under the terminal and moved it to a parking spot with more light, took the terminal off and cleaned it in a bottle of coke, then clamped the broken piece into the terminal clamp as tight as I could to get home in the morning.

Didn't waste any time as soon as the parts store opened, I got a pair of solder-on ring terminals, a post clamp, new battery brush because mine was ready for the trash, and a new set of felts.

20190314_091851.jpg

Notice I didn't do anything to the ground clamp.... this is just temporary. I'm going to be ordering some military style clamps next week. They're just way better, imo.

What wheels did you get?

Think I'm going to buy a tote box for the cab of my truck to put all my junk in. recovery strap, ratchet straps, jumper cables, spare headlights, etc. As I don't have a tool box that **** just floats around in the cab making it look like junk.

Just the 3rd gen steel 17" wheels. Nothing special. Just wanted a little more diameter in the wheels, WIDER wheels, and more backspacing to make it look a little beefier. Never did like the design of the 2nd gen 16s.

20190314_133603.jpg

Gonna wire wheel the areas that have rust, hit 'em with a 3m scuffer, black primer the bare metal spots, then gloss black to the wheels and center caps.

Hey, speaking of which, anyone need any TPMS? Two of these wheels have 'em and I don't need 'em.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
So today I decided to run Torque Pro and check some sensors with the truck all warmed up and I noticed something off.

According to Torque Pro my Intake Charge Temp Sensor says my intake air temp was 122F-123F.

51F I've seen this graph give off the wrong readings a few times so I don't trust it much. That first reading of 122-123... I trust that though... All the other sensors in that section are reading the correct numbers. Either way I suspect my Intake Charge Temp Sensor is faulty. It was previously coated in oil for an unknown number of years but for sure a minimum of 3 since that's how long I've had it. I cleaned it up and my truck ran great for a brief spell. I think this might also explain why I'm burning through gas at an alarming rate. Will replace tomorrow and report back.

Wonder if that's part of my problem too. I KNOW I need to replace my thermostat though. I think whoever had it before put a 180* or lower stat in it because it never warms up to operating temp. It warms up to about half way between the 135 and 210 marks and smells rich as hell. I know it's not the temp sensor, because the temp gun I have matches what the dash is reading.

Guess I'll start with the stat first.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wonder if that's part of my problem too. I KNOW I need to replace my thermostat though. I think whoever had it before put a 180* or lower stat in it because it never warms up to operating temp. It warms up to about half way between the 135 and 210 marks and smells rich as hell. I know it's not the temp sensor, because the temp gun I have matches what the dash is reading.

Guess I'll start with the stat first.

Lol my old 96 has 2 temp sensors for the engine temp readings. 1 for the computer and the other for the dash gauge. The Dash gauge reads aprox. The computer one had to be replaced as the computer said it was a good 20°F off. After replacing my temp sensor I get a constant reading about 180f when my truck is running normally.

Oh I should have added that my IAT read 122F with the throttle open holding 50MPH. For those concerned I do these tests on a rarely used back road around where I live. It's almost new but no one uses it because it skirts the outside edge of the city and leads to no where.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I replaced the sensor today, that definitely seems to have been the problem. I made my usual treck home the same roads I always do and it navigated them like it was a brand new engine. I've got to get used to the new power. I gave it throttle making a left after I misjudged how fast a truck towing a camper was going. I made the turn with distance to spare but I left 2 strips of rubber in that turn.

A side note. I suspected for a while I had a fuel air mix issue because of the exhaust sound. Sometimes it sounded throaty when I gave it throttle under load and sometimes it sounded like an exhaust leak.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Lol my old 96 has 2 temp sensors for the engine temp readings. 1 for the computer and the other for the dash gauge. The Dash gauge reads aprox. The computer one had to be replaced as the computer said it was a good 20°F off. After replacing my temp sensor I get a constant reading about 180f when my truck is running normally.

Oh I should have added that my IAT read 122F with the throttle open holding 50MPH. For those concerned I do these tests on a rarely used back road around where I live. It's almost new but no one uses it because it skirts the outside edge of the city and leads to no where.

The later models have only the one sensor. Sends the information to the ECM and the ECM sends the information to the gauge cluster.

My Jeep was like your 96 though. Sensor at the thermostat housing for the ECM and a sender at the rear of the head for the gauge.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
WOOOO! Let me tell you one thing. This truck with no death flash, stock size tires with good grip, and tall rear gears means I've got to relearn how to drive this thing. Muscle memory for my gas peddle means I leave rubber or look like I'm racing everyone.:driver:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
So, on the way to work yesterday, I happened to glance in my rearview mirror and was greeted by the dreaded, huge, white plume of smoke billowing from the rear. Immediately reminded of that scene from "Duel," I think "oh, ****" and pull over on the highway to examine. Man, it's been a long time since I had to park along the highway and forgot how much it sucks. Can't believe how many people just ignore your flashers and stay in the right frigging lane, especially the one ******* who was grazing the frigging rumble strips while passing me! Man, no wonder so many cops get hit by idiots while doing traffic stops on the highway.

Anyway, I get out of the truck and immediately notice a huge puddle of dark red fluid underneath. Pop the hood and couldn't help but laugh to see the ENTIRE engine bay covered in transmission fluid. Man, transmission fluid + hot headers equals lots of smoke and stink.

Turns out one of the cooler hoses had separated itself from the radiator after the hose clamp decided to let loose. Called the old man down, put the hose back one, went to Walmart and I cleaned out their entire 8-quart stock of ATF+4, went back and began filling the tranny back up. After four quarts and checking the level (engine running, cycling through the gears, leaving it in neutral), we managed to get the level into the "OK" range. Drove away, no problems. Drove back home, no problems but I checked the level again since it was good and hot then. Had to add another quart and a half, so I'll check the level after work.

I checked all the hose clamps and every one of them was loose. Man, any one of those four could have gone at any time. Tightened them up but I'm thinking of buying a new set this weekend and doubling them up. Definitely don't wanna go through this again any time soon, especially since I was fortunate to notice the issue when it did pop up. Few more minutes and the tranny would have been completely bled out and then I'd really have problems.

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Wow man, good thing you noticed it! That same thing happened to me when I was 18 in my GMC.... except I had a topper on the back with limo tint windows and wasn't really in the habit of paying attention to what was in my mirrors (ya know... typical teenager).

Shifted down into 2nd gear to pass someone and it never shifted back up.... 1200 bucks for a 700r4 rebuild.... YUCK!

That whole trip sucked. Was living in South Florida at the time and my buddy and I were driving up to Orlando to help another friend of ours move back home from college.

First, the truck started overheating, so we sat on the roadside while I climbed up on top of the motor and pulled the thermostat out. Then when we finished that and got underway, the truck was still overheating, so we made it to the service plaza about 45 minutes south of orlando... I think it was okahumpka... and discovered it was the water pump. My dad had to drive up to rescue us, but by the time he got there, all the parts stores were closed. Mom and dad slept in the cab of their truck, I slept in the back of mine, my friend slept in the cab of mine and the next morning we went to the parts store. We got everything changed out and we started back up the turnpike towards orlando.... got about 10 miles before the transmission blew.

Anyway.... I check transmission fluid every fill-up now.... in every vehicle. One time of that nonsense was enough for me. Guess I'll start checking the clamps and connections every oil change now too.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Found my chrome 3rd brake light cover while cleaning my garage and decided to put it back on. While doing that i decided to see if i could figure out why my 3rd brake light hasn't worked since i got ther truck in 2011. The cargo light always worked fine but not the brake. Get the light pulled off and noticed 2 things:
First, the connector is a 6 pin but only 4 are used and my aftermarket brake light is pinned differently so 2 of the pins go into the empty slots in the truck connector lol. So if course it plugged in fine but only the cargo light pins were touching. However, this didn't explain why the factory one never worked either which brings me to the 2nd part
Dad had the truck repainted in early 2011 i think and when he did the guy that did it masked very poorly and apparently removed the 3rd brake and just sprayed it like that. Connector on the truck was filled with paint so i grabbed some aircraft stripper and a toothbrush and cleaned it out. After doing that and repinning the new light it works great lol.

Also, my transfer case saver arrived and i loaded the bed with all the junk in my garage that needs to go to the dump

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
So, on the way to work yesterday, I happened to glance in my rearview mirror and was greeted by the dreaded, huge, white plume of smoke billowing from the rear. Immediately reminded of that scene from "Duel," I think "oh, ****" and pull over on the highway to examine. Man, it's been a long time since I had to park along the highway and forgot how much it sucks. Can't believe how many people just ignore your flashers and stay in the right frigging lane, especially the one ******* who was grazing the frigging rumble strips while passing me! Man, no wonder so many cops get hit by idiots while doing traffic stops on the highway.

Anyway, I get out of the truck and immediately notice a huge puddle of dark red fluid underneath. Pop the hood and couldn't help but laugh to see the ENTIRE engine bay covered in transmission fluid. Man, transmission fluid + hot headers equals lots of smoke and stink.

Turns out one of the cooler hoses had separated itself from the radiator after the hose clamp decided to let loose. Called the old man down, put the hose back one, went to Walmart and I cleaned out their entire 8-quart stock of ATF+4, went back and began filling the tranny back up. After four quarts and checking the level (engine running, cycling through the gears, leaving it in neutral), we managed to get the level into the "OK" range. Drove away, no problems. Drove back home, no problems but I checked the level again since it was good and hot then. Had to add another quart and a half, so I'll check the level after work.

I checked all the hose clamps and every one of them was loose. Man, any one of those four could have gone at any time. Tightened them up but I'm thinking of buying a new set this weekend and doubling them up. Definitely don't wanna go through this again any time soon, especially since I was fortunate to notice the issue when it did pop up. Few more minutes and the tranny would have been completely bled out and then I'd really have problems.

Same thing happened to me in my white v10 Dually, ended up being the death of that trucks transmission.

The sideline road stops are never fun just about everyday when I tow someone I have to deal with these, even with the new law Slow Down Move Over, it doesn't always work!

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
IMG_8589.jpg IMG_8591.jpg IMG_8476.jpg IMG_8335.jpg IMG_8336.jpg Few updates, most recent first. Tow truck has started having APPS Issues every 1-3k miles, keep resetting it. Did a winch out the other night for a nice Veteran. Same night Tow truck rolled 90k miles. Purchased another ram 1500 5.9 v8, pretty beat up for $700, but runs great and cold ac with a newly rebuilt trans, and a long bed! Picked up a car for my family and I to restore over the next few years a 1963 Dodge Dart Sedan in Taylor Tx. Also our pups are all learning to work together!

Other updates, my old white 96 v10 tow truck we sold for cheap to pay bills, however it has allowed us to make other purchases and hope to get another tow truck for backup soon.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Graph shows 50 because it's in Celsius.