What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cleaned my exhaust tip the best I could. I want true duals bur don't know how I'll tackle the 02 sensors

15582203171833346571553203451838.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Finally got my stuff replaced yesterday. Borrowed a compressor from a buddy and my impact from work.
Busted the axle nut off and had to chisel the hub off the knuckle. Fuckered the backing plate in the process but I'm just sending it.
New wheel hub, 2 calipers, pads and rotors later and she's solid.

Now I just need to do my steering, sway bar, and control arms at some point.....OH, and the trans. *****

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2 weeks in and I think it's safe to confirm that my spark plug wires are garbage. If they touch any grounded metal they cause an immediate misfire. The coating isn't even rubbed raw they just arc that easily. Will be replacing soon. Anyone have any recommendations besides MSD?

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
I've always just used the autozone plug wires, never had any issues, maybe you can try the plastic things that help space the wires out from each other, run about 5.99$ last time I needed some.

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upstream just goes in the passenger pipe. Downstream either goes in whichever pipe, into a non-fouler **** or tied to the frame rail depending on if you use cats or not
I will run high flow cats. I thought you only needed the fouler if you have no cats

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I will run high flow cats. I thought you only needed the fouler if you have no cats
Correct. So downstream can just go after the cats. Whichever pipe is eaiser to put it in.

Because our operating systems are super basic, it won't know it's only reading 1 bank. The PCM can't adjust fit individual cylinders or even by cylinder bank, just the engine as a whole so even though you're cutting the amount of exhaust gas being read by half, the ratio and adjustments will be the same

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. So downstream can just go after the cats. Whichever pipe is eaiser to put it in.

Because our operating systems are super basic, it won't know it's only reading 1 bank. The PCM can't adjust fit individual cylinders or even by cylinder bank, just the engine as a whole so even though you're cutting the amount of exhaust gas being read by half, the ratio and adjustments will be the same
I figured that, bur wanted to be sure.
Thanks!
Austin

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
2 weeks in and I think it's safe to confirm that my spark plug wires are garbage. If they touch any grounded metal they cause an immediate misfire. The coating isn't even rubbed raw they just arc that easily. Will be replacing soon. Anyone have any recommendations besides MSD?

How about Taylors? Mine have given me several years of good service and still seem to be working well. The pre cut set fit as well as any I've used before.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Taylors aren't bad at all. If you want the "BEST" available there's FireCore but the Taylors are cheaper and more than enough.

All I've done with it lately is order the gasket for the extension support housing on the transfercase. Tricky little ******* to find because only Dodge carries it.

Also, Sunday night I sold my little Honda Prelude and purchased a 2012 F150 CrewCab 5.0 on Monday morning....I KNOW shame on me. Price was right though and I'm ultimately not brand loyal at all unless it's a GM and then I'll buy anything else first.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Actually, I totally forgot. New fuel pump arrived and I tore it all apart and replaced the pump with a Walboro 255lph, removed the regulator and swapped a -8an supply fitting and -6an return fitting. Need to get a regulator yet but I'm nearly ready to setup a full return fuel system.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Taylors aren't bad at all. If you want the "BEST" available there's FireCore but the Taylors are cheaper and more than enough.

All I've done with it lately is order the gasket for the extension support housing on the transfercase. Tricky little ******* to find because only Dodge carries it.

Also, Sunday night I sold my little Honda Prelude and purchased a 2012 F150 CrewCab 5.0 on Monday morning....I KNOW shame on me. Price was right though and I'm ultimately not brand loyal at all unless it's a GM and then I'll buy anything else first.

Dang you sold a prelude and were able to buy a f150! Nice!

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

That's actually pretty funny. I have a set of Taylor 8.2mm wires sitting in my amazon cart waiting for my next check.

Edit: or do you mean these?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have these. I think they're 8 or 8. something. They've been on so long I've forgotten, which is good. You shouldn't have to obsess over plug wires on a street truck.

Look for the fancy spark plug boots.

Header 2 .JPG

Basslicks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Changed the oil, installed new battery hold down screws, and changed out the thermostat and housing.

I don't know if the thermostat was worn out or just not working correctly but, it was a Motorad thermostat which, from what I know has a good reputation. What's weird was, it was stamped "192*" instead of 195. The entire year I've owned this truck it hasn't gotten up to operating temps. It would hover around 170 or 180 and never get any warmer. New thermostat is in and I'm FINALLY seeing about 200. Computer is finally going into closed loop and I'm no longer smelling horrifically rich exhaust fumes. Truck is idling smoother and seems to have a little bit better throttle response and more power under load.

Stupid thermostat.

Moparornocar0346

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 liter
Finally got my ball joints done, shocks and leveling kit
188025d32a238c943b86297029fd6bed.jpg
f285450ccc79f41f4f38688da74c7772.jpg

Kinda wished I went with a big leveling kit but I kinda like the way she looks. Next project is wheels and tires and body work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Finally, after years of having to deal with it's fickleness, I got my tailgate working properly. The handle doesn't stick open and BOTH latches engage. Don't even have to slam it shut, now it latches with just a small push. All it took was some WD-40 sprayed (heavily) in the right spots. Works like new now.

While fiddling around, I pumped up the few zirks that I could reach with my grease gun. *******, I really gotta do it more often because they were dry as hell, and when the grease finally started gushing out, what little old stuff remained was black as coal. Problem is I can't get to many of them due to the size of my grease gun (my ball joints REALLY need a good greasing, but I can't get the grease gun in position to lube 'em) I might sound stupid, but what in the hell does one use to get to those zirks in really crampy spaces?

Also, someone here was asking about good plug wires? I'm coming up on year two on my Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) Livewires, mated to the same brand cap and rotor. Really heavy, well-made stuff, and they come with a myriad of color options. No problems with 'em so far, and they sure look nice and bold, especially lining up with my shorties. I did route them as per the Mopar TSB, which was probably totally overkill, and they look somewhat haphazard as such, but **** it, I ain't gonna deal with misfires just because a pair of wires are too close to each other.

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Finally, after years of having to deal with it's fickleness, I got my tailgate working properly. The handle doesn't stick open and BOTH latches engage. Don't even have to slam it shut, now it latches with just a small push. All it took was some WD-40 sprayed (heavily) in the right spots. Works like new now.

While fiddling around, I pumped up the few zirks that I could reach with my grease gun. *******, I really gotta do it more often because they were dry as hell, and when the grease finally started gushing out, what little old stuff remained was black as coal. Problem is I can't get to many of them due to the size of my grease gun (my ball joints REALLY need a good greasing, but I can't get the grease gun in position to lube 'em) I might sound stupid, but what in the hell does one use to get to those zirks in really crampy spaces?

Also, someone here was asking about good plug wires? I'm coming up on year two on my Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) Livewires, mated to the same brand cap and rotor. Really heavy, well-made stuff, and they come with a myriad of color options. No problems with 'em so far, and they sure look nice and bold, especially lining up with my shorties. I did route them as per the Mopar TSB, which was probably totally overkill, and they look somewhat haphazard as such, but **** it, I ain't gonna deal with misfires just because a pair of wires are too close to each other.
Now that you got it moving good, i would hit it all with some brake cleaner and then some of that white lithium teflon spray grease stuff. Not that wd40 is bad but that stuff lasts longer