What did you do to/with your second gen today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20stone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
A 35 gal will fit under a shortbed??

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Digging this up from back in the day, as I didn't see an answer. I have a 1995 1500 5.9 w 4WD (extra cab and short bed), and need to repair or replace the stock tank. I found a 35 gallon tank, and was hoping someone could confirm it would fit.

TIA

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
So far I drove to work successfully!
c2317b27f491ace7bf41f42db8bd9653.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just in case anyone hasn't seen the info on our new Truck of the Month contest, it is going on right now! Click the big link in my Sig for info!

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I've owned it since 2007. Redone interior about 4 years ago. Had it repainted 3 years ago. It took alot of time and patience on the interior cause I painted all the plastic pieces dash door panels etc. Replaced carpet with a rubber floor mat from LMC along with a new dash top from them. A friend of mine painted it for me. I replaced the bed from a rust free truck, left front fender I got online. And replaced cab corners and rocker panels also. They weren't rusty but had paint bubbles everywhere. Right wheel well was rusty and I found that new bed off of 2500 diesel in a junkyard for $200. It's still a work in progress lol. I also put por15 from the rear of the frame to the cab. Also replaced front and rear bumpers the were beat up lol.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
I've owned it since 2007. Redone interior about 4 years ago. Had it repainted 3 years ago. It took alot of time and patience on the interior cause I painted all the plastic pieces dash door panels etc. Replaced carpet with a rubber floor mat from LMC along with a new dash top from them. A friend of mine painted it for me. I replaced the bed from a rust free truck, left front fender I got online. And replaced cab corners and rocker panels also. They weren't rusty but had paint bubbles everywhere. Right wheel well was rusty and I found that new bed off of 2500 diesel in a junkyard for $200. It's still a work in progress lol. I also put por15 from the rear of the frame to the cab. Also replaced front and rear bumpers the were beat up lol.

It’s like a new truck!
What year is it? What engine? Original engine? Miles?
I need to have my front end body fixed. I hit a wall years ago and it kind of catty wompussed the bumper and fenders. Really bugs me now.
I’m working on mine as time and $$ permits. I kind of try not to get too much money ahead of the truck! Like I spent around $1500 on new dash install. So now I feel like it has to go 3-4 months without costing me anything. Then I’ll decide what to do next. If everything is mechanically hanging in there I do some cosmetic stuff.
0c4d7d87ac8d44deb692759ef341db31.jpg

Picture showing messed up front end....
I had the bumper cap off in this pic. Put a new one on.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
99be0ec0c258289783a205f99d4f0eb0.jpg
With new cap. Still looks messed up[emoji38].
Headlamps uneven too.

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Your truck looks good to me. It has the 5.2(318) motor all original transmission is original also. Truck almost has 161000 miles on it not bad for a 99 model. I'm hoping the drive train will last to atleast 250000. I try to maintain it regularly. Took it and got an inspection sticker on it this morning. Going to take it to a mopar show tomorrow in Salem Va. I showed it last year at this show not sure if I'm going to this year or not.

Last edited:

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What'd I do today? I bought another 2nd Gen Ram 2500, this time with a Cummins 24 valve instead of the Magnum.

What'd I do last Sunday with my 2nd gen? I tried driving a load of firewood home, and hear a rattle, rattle sound I have never heard any engine ever make coming from the Magnum engine. Towed it to the shop to find something busted sending metal shards into the oil making it unfixable.

What'll I be doing with my 2nd Gens the next few weekends? Frankensteining the good bits of the '98 into the '01. Moving the gooseneck hitch, the dashboard and a few other things to the Cummins.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
What'd I do today? I bought another 2nd Gen Ram 2500, this time with a Cummins 24 valve instead of the Magnum.

What'd I do last Sunday with my 2nd gen? I tried driving a load of firewood home, and hear a rattle, rattle sound I have never heard any engine ever make coming from the Magnum engine. Towed it to the shop to find something busted sending metal shards into the oil making it unfixable.

What'll I be doing with my 2nd Gens the next few weekends? Frankensteining the good bits of the '98 into the '01. Moving the gooseneck hitch, the dashboard and a few other things to the Cummins.

Wow...do you know what busted? My 97 5.9 has 323k on it and I’m always thinking about what will happen when it dies. It running well now...
a154f1827a1ff82cb55e53b62123b168.jpg

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Wow...do you know what busted? My 97 5.9 has 323k on it and I’m always thinking about what will happen when it dies. It running well now...
a154f1827a1ff82cb55e53b62123b168.jpg

I won't know for a couple weeks until I have time to pull the engine. But from the sound of it (Rhytmic banging, massive loss of power, then the engine locked up as soon as I turned it off) it has to be something piston or rod related. Since I was driving with a soft foot, I assume a fatigue crack started, grew and finally caused a failure. Since fragments made it into the oil pan, I'm guessing it will be a broken rod. I will post once I get the engine out what it turns out to be.

Marc Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New steering linkage and KYB dampener.

I really want to believe that I can feel the difference, but I feel better about the change. The 20-year-old dampener was very stiff compared to the new one.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
My truck died on the freeway! My biggest fear! But steered easily to safety.
Diagnosis was a failed camshaft position sensor.
I got a new distributor cap, rotor, sensor, ignition coil, and new crankshaft position sensor ( recommended by my mechanic).
It runs better than ever!
I’m not sure if these components should make such a difference but I think they have!
The Dodge lives!