What did you do to your Gen3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has a small hole but the flange is just round and the drive shaft bolts to it, not like the old yokes with the ears, I put two bolts in and tightened them to my pry bar and pinned it against the gas tank, torqued to 210 and it still seemed like too much play/loose, so I hit it about another quarter turn with the impact, just took it for a spin and has a good vibration, and letting off a little whine/groan, so is it still too loose? Will that also cause the vibration?

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

Did you put a new crush sleeve in it?

If the answer is no, did you measure the torque before you pulled the nut off?

Have you measured the preload? How tight it feels means nothing, it's all about the preload on the bearings.

If the answer is yes, are you sure that you've actually crushed the crush sleeve? You can hit the torque value and preload value prematurely before the crush sleeve gives way which completely jacks things up and it'll fail quickly, such as the symptoms you have.

The preload is the key, without it being correct, nothing else you do will matter.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
I am talking something like this
b34b8584f64df03c47ff2506fc5f5559.png
but I believe id have to move it back on the frame some to accommodate the roll pan not extending out like the step bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and this is the problem im running into with my 3/4 ton, I want a roll pan but I don't wana lose my hitch, and the aftermarket hitch that you can buy to be hidden behind the pan isn't rated high enough for what I tow

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Did you put a new crush sleeve in it?

If the answer is no, did you measure the torque before you pulled the nut off?

Have you measured the preload? How tight it feels means nothing, it's all about the preload on the bearings.

If the answer is yes, are you sure that you've actually crushed the crush sleeve? You can hit the torque value and preload value prematurely before the crush sleeve gives way which completely jacks things up and it'll fail quickly, such as the symptoms you have.

The preload is the key, without it being correct, nothing else you do will matter.
Yes I put a new crush sleeve in because everything I read said don't reuse them, I'm not sure I've crushed the new sleeve. The old nut worked itself off and locked me up in the middle of the road and dropped the drive shaft, so I have nothing to go by, I have no way too measure preload, so you think I could be too tight already? I thought I'd you get the bearing groan when letting off the throttle it's loose.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
and this is the problem im running into with my 3/4 ton, I want a roll pan but I don't wana lose my hitch, and the aftermarket hitch that you can buy to be hidden behind the pan isn't rated high enough for what I tow

I believe I've found a way to utilize it. I only need a couple inches so I believe I'm gonna recess it back and utilize the rear holes for the front mounting holes of the receiver and add a second bolt from the side using a washer to distribute the force. That way the structural of the frame isn't compromised. And if it and the roll pan don't seat properly I'll trim the pan to fit my needs and give it the appearance it belongs there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I put a new crush sleeve in because everything I read said don't reuse them, I'm not sure I've crushed the new sleeve. The old nut worked itself off and locked me up in the middle of the road and dropped the drive shaft, so I have nothing to go by, I have no way too measure preload, so you think I could be too tight already? I thought I'd you get the bearing groan when letting off the throttle it's loose.

If you're not sure you've crushed it, you probably haven't. It takes an immense amount of pressure to get one to start collapsing. You'll think you have it as tight as it'll go and then you'll feel it give a little and it becomes easier to tighten. At that point, you'll have to go slow until you get the preload correct.

The only thing you need to measure preload is an old dial style inch-lb torque wrench. You can also do it with a small bar style torque wrench since the dial wrenches are a bit expensive.

I've done a ton of Ford 8.8's over the years since I've had Mustangs as race cars for 20 years and even though I've done hundreds of them, setting the pinion up is the most nerve racking part. I'm always 2nd guessing whether I got the pinion depth and preload perfectly adjusted even though I have all the gauges and tools to do so.

I can't imagine ever getting it right trying to do it by sight and feel. I know that there are guys who do it all the time, but I'm so freaking **** about things flying apart going down the road or track, it has to be perfect.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
If you're not sure you've crushed it, you probably haven't. It takes an immense amount of pressure to get one to start collapsing. You'll think you have it as tight as it'll go and then you'll feel it give a little and it becomes easier to tighten. At that point, you'll have to go slow until you get the preload correct.

The only thing you need to measure preload is an old dial style inch-lb torque wrench. You can also do it with a small bar style torque wrench since the dial wrenches are a bit expensive.

I've done a ton of Ford 8.8's over the years since I've had Mustangs as race cars for 20 years and even though I've done hundreds of them, setting the pinion up is the most nerve racking part. I'm always 2nd guessing whether I got the pinion depth and preload perfectly adjusted even though I have all the gauges and tools to do so.

I can't imagine ever getting it right trying to do it by sight and feel. I know that there are guys who do it all the time, but I'm so freaking **** about things flying apart going down the road or track, it has to be perfect.
I'm the same, I've already had it lock up on me and luckily didn't kill it then I don't need to do it again and cost myself a rear end, and hadn't driven it since till test drive lay night then to work this morning cause they were crying about me missing a day, how much time you think I'll miss if i kill it dummies, it's still very hard to turn so ya it's probably not crushed yet, thought you had to measure preload with everything out, no axles no nothing, if I grab a dial torque wrench what should the preload be with old bearings, a new crush sleeve and new nut with axles and tires and everything still on the truck?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm the same, I've already had it lock up on me and luckily didn't kill it then I don't need to do it again and cost myself a rear end, and hadn't driven it since till test drive lay night then to work this morning cause they were crying about me missing a day, how much time you think I'll miss if i kill it dummies, it's still very hard to turn so ya it's probably not crushed yet, thought you had to measure preload with everything out, no axles no nothing, if I grab a dial torque wrench what should the preload be with old bearings, a new crush sleeve and new nut with axles and tires and everything still on the truck?

You do have to measure preload without anything in the pumpkin. There's no way to really do it with the pinion on the ring gear, you'll get a false reading. If yours wouldn't have exploded, you could have cheated a little and put the torque wrench on it and measured it with everything still in there so that you could possibly get close, but without that previous measurement, there's no way to even get into the right ballpark.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
You do have to measure preload without anything in the pumpkin. There's no way to really do it with the pinion on the ring gear, you'll get a false reading. If yours wouldn't have exploded, you could have cheated a little and put the torque wrench on it and measured it with everything still in there so that you could possibly get close, but without that previous measurement, there's no way to even get into the right ballpark.
Wow, even the ring gear has to be out? Wouldn't I then have to adjust that as well upon reinstalation? That is way more than I want to get into or have time for, so slow tightening of the crush sleeve and rechecking/test driving wouldn't work?

stev0n

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002, 2007
Engine
4.7, 4.7 flex fuel
Took a 250 mile round trip today getting 9.8mpg on the interstate in this junk 4.7 to pick up this...
Leer 100XQ + pulley system to remove/store it for...... *drumroll*....$400!

18802aca06be819ef633b17bbacbd8ca.jpg5b315c9ca4c004d3cc872cd40b5f2d6e.jpg55717aaa72c6490e27c9cc85efecb081.jpg0c8b938f77e7d876478b8382d9e6406d.jpg

Sent from my ObamaPhone using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Took a 250 mile round trip today getting 9.8mpg on the interstate in this junk 4.7 to pick up this...

18802aca06be819ef633b17bbacbd8ca.jpg5b315c9ca4c004d3cc872cd40b5f2d6e.jpg55717aaa72c6490e27c9cc85efecb081.jpg0c8b938f77e7d876478b8382d9e6406d.jpg

You just need to go ahead and deliver that shell to me. It's already painted the right color to match my truck.........:roflsquared:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Clearly you got ****** gas mileage becuase you had your ears out...

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking good everyone. :waytogo:

Going to get mine ready for tomorrow to go to the All Truck Nationals in Carlisle, PA. :happy107:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was driving to work today an heard some grinding sound when applying the brakes... Gonna need to check em out, but got a good feeling ill be needing a brake job. Been putting it off for about 6 months an it's about that time, I thought to myself maybe a week ago that the truck just didn't seem to be stopping as good as usual. 12year old truck w/ 113,5xx miles on pretty much all stock brakes except for front pads lol

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Im not so happy with amazon . ca right now.
I ordered new hood shocks through them & shipping says they are coming through china - WTF.

I didn't think amazon was ebay - should come from Canada!!!
Still hoping they are real Monroe max lifts.

& I did email them saying I was not happy about this.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not so happy with amazon . ca right now.
I ordered new hood shocks through them & shipping says they are coming through china - WTF.

I didn't think amazon was ebay - should come from Canada!!!
Still hoping they are real Monroe max lifts.

& I did email them saying I was not happy about this.

I had to order a digitizer for a phone and the only place I could get it was through China. I went with Amazon for a little extra protection and it has been a month and it's still en-route. I didn't have a choice but to wait, but for some hood shocks, I'd be pissed.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Here's the response.

Hello from Amazon.ca.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Please note if the recipient of an Amazon.ca Marketplace order is located in Canada and the item ordered is shipped from outside of Canada and has a listed value exceeding CAN $20.00, the shipment may be subject to import duties, taxes, and/or handling fees, which are assessed by the Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) when the item enters Canada.

If such fees are applied to an order, the carrier will send a letter notifying the recipient of the charges and the steps necessary to receive the package. The recipient is responsible for these and any other additional charges.

Unfortunately, we can't control or determine the duties and taxes that will apply to your order. Because policies vary, please contact the CCRA for more information.

When ordering from a Marketplace seller, the recipient of the order is the importer of record and must comply with all applicable laws and regulations of the recipient’s country.

I'm sorry this information was uncleared on our website.

In case, If you find any charges at time of delivering your package, please write back to us so that we will able to help to get the refund and assist you further.

I hope this information is helpful. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

:flipthebird:

if the mods don't think this should be posted, let me know, Thanx.