What do you like about the dial shifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
You have a gear indicator on the shifter and in the cluster. If you did what you did, you would have done the same even with a colum or regular shifter.

As to the question, I wish my 2018 HD had the dial.
and the 8 speed tranny as well

ctdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Absolutely hate it! What were the RAM engineers thinking! I've already lost one freezer in my garage because I stepped out of my truck thinking I was in Park but not really. CRASH! Dial Shifters belong on luxury cars like Mercedes - not trucks. The overwhelming technology in my RAM trucks makes me uneasy but still, I love the brand and my RAM trucks have served me well. However I will never ever buy a truck with a Dial Shifter again.
How is this the fault of the dial shifter? If you forget to put it in Park with the dial, you'd forget to put it in Park with the column shifter.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I like that it doesn't change into reverse or park at high speed since I keep turning it to change in and out of 4wd since that's where the 2 4auto 4low knob is on my 11' and I've done it quite a few times.

92GreenYJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ehh I deal with lol, still not 100% happy with it but it’s not enough for me to get something else. Feels weird going from the knob to something with a stick or column shifter I always catch myself trying to grab a knob then having a duh moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tell ma about it! This Ram has me spoiled as hell. Keyless enter and go, auto headlights, auto wipers, push button starter. Seems every time I get in my old Jeep YJ or my 71 Charger I forget something. Leave the headlights on, forget to put the keys in the ignition and still have them in my pocket, etc. and yes I have reached for a knob instead of the column on more than one occasion.

Typetwelve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Never did it before the knob.

I feel like an idiot...I've done the same thing at least 5 times since I bought my '17 last month. Before that, I had a '14 for nearly 4 years with the 6spd and not once did I turn it off in park.

My truck gets cranky when you turn it off in drive...it buzzes and makes the mechanical noise and moves itself to park internally. Last time, it gave me a "service shifter" error on the dash...which freaked me out. When I started the truck the next day, the error had cleared.