What engine oil do you use in a 5.7 Hemi (non-eTorque)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure if its still true ( this was told to me just before FCA switched to Pennzoil) my then service manager told me for oil changes they can use any brand of bulk oil they want so long as it meets current API specification, but when it comes to the oil used for warranty work they have to use whatever brand that FCA tells them to use...
Yes, that's basically what my service manager told me as well.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 86841 miles.

Hanover Fiste

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 SLT, 2018 Sport
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I buy the cheapest I can get; i.e. Wal-Mart "Super Tech" or Havoline 5W30. My 2005 has 160k miles, and still going strong! My 2018, at 35k, runs great with no tick.

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish they would. Instead, SAE decisions are based on what profits the company the most, not what profits the customer the most.

You’re speaking apples and oranges too. There are gear heads and non-gear heads. You’re a non-gear head, trying to argue with a gear head. Just don’t. I’m too stubborn and too much in love with my 400whp 5th Gen, to listen to what SAE engineers suggest. I listen to the suggestions from those that own 800whp-1000whp Rams, that continuously pump out 400whp-1000whp Rams for their customers.
Give them a call and don't forget to bring your technical data package...In the meantime, keep being stubborn.

Lenbob2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
I just bought a 2022 Bighorn and the owners manual says 0W 20 full synthetic.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just bought a 2022 Bighorn and the owners manual says 0W 20 full synthetic.
Congrats on your new truck. Most everyone is aware of what the owner's manual says to use. Either 5w-20 or 0w-20, depending on what year the truck is. That's not really what's being discussed here though.

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi all,

I have a 22 Laramie with the hemi. I have about 2700 miles so far. Going to be going in for slip yoke lube I believe and I thought I’d do a first oil change.

I always let my dealership do them. It requires 0w20 and they told me they use pennzoil full synthetic. I asked them if it was platinum or ultra, and I was told it was made for dealers and it was full synthetic. So not much info there…

I do wonder how the “dealer oil” compares to platinum or ultra. Do any of you folks know that answer? I do plan on going in every 5000 or so to change it no matter what.

I also grabbed a bottle of lubegard bio and was thinking of adding a few oz after the oil change but I’m worried it’ll turn the oil blue and the dealership will call foul next change. Does it turn your oil blue?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 22 Laramie with the hemi. I have about 2700 miles so far. Going to be going in for slip yoke lube I believe and I thought I’d do a first oil change.

I always let my dealership do them. It requires 0w20 and they told me they use pennzoil full synthetic. I asked them if it was platinum or ultra, and I was told it was made for dealers and it was full synthetic. So not much info there…

I do wonder how the “dealer oil” compares to platinum or ultra. Do any of you folks know that answer? I do plan on going in every 5000 or so to change it no matter what.

I also grabbed a bottle of lubegard bio and was thinking of adding a few oz after the oil change but I’m worried it’ll turn the oil blue and the dealership will call foul next change. Does it turn your oil blue?

Thanks all.
No worries mate, it won’t turn the oil blue unless you dump a ton of it in there. I’ve used the 15oz bottle quite a few times and I didn’t notice any change in the color. Be advised though that if for some reason you had engine problems they might do an oil analysis and it would show up in that so you’d be wise to change the oil first before taking it in.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hi all,

Thanks all.

For oil changes dealers are allowed to use any brand of bulk oil (be it dino or synthetic) so long as it meets current API specs, they most likely use what ever brand of bulk they like or get at a good price, that's why they said its for made for dealers when you asked them what it was, when it comes to oil required warranty they have to use what ever brand FCA requires, at this time its Pennzoil....

Ramfanski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Not to hijack, but is there a preferred place to do an oil analysis with? I think, since I don’t really know what pennzoil full synthetic oil the dealer uses, I’ll change it at 5000 and have it analyzed….

Again, I apologize if this is off topic.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The great oil debate, a never ending discussion. Just change every 5,000
miles with a quality synthetic 5W-20 oil. If anyone disagrees with this they
need to go back to kindergarten.........

That should be the end of it................. :cool:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The great oil debate, a never ending discussion. Just change every 5,000
miles with a quality synthetic 5W-20 oil. If anyone disagrees with this they
need to go back to kindergarten.........

That should be the end of it................. :cool:
Well we all disagree with that, but keep on.

Lenbob2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7
Congrats on your new truck. Most everyone is aware of what the owner's manual says to use. Either 5w-20 or 0w-20, depending on what year the truck is. That's not really what's being discussed here though.
Thanks for clarifying that

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
OH, NO! I liked comments in the 5th Gen section and didn't know it! ... I'll go back and take back all of my "likes and laughters" ...lol.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wonder if anyone has data on the spring pressure for the bypass valves in various filters? Recently cut apart a mopar one to compare with an RP one and was quite surprised. I will say what NOT obvious from the picture is the media in the RP was clearly synthetic.View attachment 518067View attachment 518068

You would like oil filter thread, check that out. The cousin filter to the 10-48 has a warning bulletin to not use it. The forum has proven the 20-820 should be a top choice instead of the 10-48, both in royal purple brand. The smaller filter wasn't thoroughly tested safe to say, earlier 4 gens had the larger as oem choice.

Personally, I would love to go back to kindergarten, can I please?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You would like oil filter thread, check that out. The cousin filter to the 10-48 has a warning bulletin to not use it. The forum has proven the 20-820 should be a top choice instead of the 10-48, both in royal purple brand. The smaller filter wasn't thoroughly tested safe to say, earlier 4 gens had the larger as oem choice.

Personally, I would love to go back to kindergarten, can I please?

Go back to kindergarten,most of us haven't graduated out of kindergarten yet Mike :Big Laugh: Just ask our wifes:waytogo::Big Laugh: