What has failed on my 2012 Big Horn.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwright19832

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a general information post about the issues I have had doing performance related upgrades, and general truck repairs on my ram since I purchased it in 2015.

To be honest I am not someone who can leave anything stock, and I am always looking for more power on a budget. So here is a list of the issues I have had regarding performance upgrades, and issues I have had with stock components on the truck since I got it. My rig now has 140000 kilometers, and had 60000 when I bought it. So it has 86000 miles now, and about 37000 miles when I got it.

I am a stickler when it comes to maintenance in general. I do not run ethanol based fuels AT ALL PERIOD. I always use full synthetic royal purple oil, in the engine, and the transfer case and differentials. ( I have a 4x4) I follow maintenance schedules to a tee based on the manual, and do oil changes every 6000 miles. I have the underbody oil sprayed every single year. There is salt on the roads here in canada. I have zero rust on the truck. Literally zero. I have seen some the same age completely rusted out. This is something you have to absolutely do in canada. That being said here is what I have run into thusfar.

First thing I did was install a K&N full cold air intake system. I have had zero issues with this unit and clean the filter when it looks dirty.

Second thing I did was install a tune. I bought an edge performance tuner, which is pretty much the same as the superchips tuner. I run race tune, for 91 octane fuel always. I always run 91 octane non ethanol fuel. That tune also tunes the shift points on the transmission. More to follow on that. So far no issues with the tune.

Third thing I did was put a rough country level kit in. 3 inch front 2 and some odd inch in back. Makes the truck stand like a 2500. No issues with this kit whatsoever.

Fourth thing I did was put a set of 34 inch Toyo open country AT2 10 ply tires on. No issues with these suckers at all. I put them on at 80000kms and at 140000kms (40000miles) of wear they are about half way worn out. Best tire ever. Highly recommended.

Fifth thing I did was deal with the hemi tick. Everyone knows that the exhaust manifold studs break on these trucks, causing an exhaust leak, causing a tick. It happened to me twice. First time was covered under warranty. Second time was not. I pulled the stock manifolds, and installed a set of BBK shorty direct bolt on manifolds with ceramic coating. They are awesome, no more broken bolts. If your studs aren't broken yet, swap your manifolds now. It will just cost you more when you break a stud off in the head of the motor. Trust me. Do this NOW. This cost me some cash, but performance benefit and piece of mind is completely worth it.

Sixth thing I did was install a pedal commander. Its great, but most of the time I have it turned off. No reason to be peeling the tires off the truck pushing the pedal 1/8th of an inch on a daily basis.

Everything was great until about 10000kms ago or at about 130000kms (80000 miles).

Suddenly I was having hard shifts, slipping gears etc. My truck does have 3.55 gears in it which suits me fine, because I do like half decent gas mileage.

I took the truck immediately to the transmission shop. 2nd and 4th gear clutches were burnt down to metal on metal. Torque converter was completely toast, a load of metal in the bottom of the pan.

I had the transmission completely rebuilt, and build better. I had an upgraded torque converter installed, all new clutch packs, a shift kit, and a line booster to increase the holding power. I also had TIPM update, and a few other things done at the same time.

We had a snowstorm a week or so later, and while bucking a snowdrift, I bent the solenoid that engages the 4x4 on the front end. That also was replaced.

A week after that, my original battery died. Bought a better higher cranking amp battery.

A week after that, the starter went. Had it replaced at dealer after tow from jobsite.

A week after that, did the brakes for the second time since owning.

AND NOW... The truck is back to ******* awesome.

Honestly I have put about $15000 CDN dollars (About $125 USD) into the truck with maintenance and repairs since I got it, BUT I woudnt trade it for a chevy, ford, or anything else.

Everyone keeps telling me to dump it and get a new truck, but I love the silver *******. I hope now with upgrades, any factory parts that were a weak point will now be a non issue.

Long story short, Cat back exhaust and ported throttle body are the next two items on the hit list.

Upgrading and tuning isnt cheap. Remember you are pushing components past their designed intent and if things break, well, they werent designed for that. My best advice is, for every dollar you spend on an upgrade, make sure you have at least that much money set aside to fix something if it was to go bad. If thats not in your budget, dont upgrade until you can afford the related repairs or you could burn yourself.

This truck pulls harder, and turns more heads than any car I have ever owned. Hands down. More fun to drive, and more versatile than anything. Honestly where else can you get a 6000 pound vehicle that can take on 3500 pound "sports" cars.

Food for thought.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. Sounds like you've replaced just about everything that could cause long term problems except the dreaded cam and lifter problem. Its definitely a crapshoot kind of problem that I hope you never have to deal with. My previous Ram a 2015 had a lifter take out the cam at 32K miles but there are plenty of Rams running around with way over 100K miles and no issues. From what Ive read(on this forum) Redline seems to be the only oil that will give your motor a fighting chance well into the future of avoiding this issue. Hell I run Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in my Ram(the same stuff that they put in all the SRT vehicles) and as soon as I run out I'm going to make the switch myself to Redline.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Honestly I have put about $15000 CDN dollars (About $125 USD) into the truck with maintenance and repairs since I got it, BUT I woudnt trade it for a chevy, ford, or anything else.

I know the exchange rate is bad... didn't realize it was this bad...LOL

You have the truck they way you want it and all the "bugs" are out of it.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2010 ram is from canada. How the hell it made it to the us is beyond me. 120,000 miles on stock motor and tranny, and runs fine. Only issue i had was the body control module going bad. My truck was never undercoated, and is covered in rust underneath. But no body rust.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I'm starting to think EVERYTHING is a crap-shoot. I know many Ram owners around here w/ 100,000 + miles who have never heard of the broken manifold bolts, run whatever oil the quick lube uses, and never touch anything else.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least with the Ram all the problems are pretty well known and fixable. You can't really say that about GM's recent offerings and Ford's changing models every three years and adding/dropping engines about as frequently. How many different V-6 engines have been in the F150 over the last 10 years(not counting the 3.5Eco) I really don't like the idea of 6' worth of timing chain either.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I know the exchange rate is bad... didn't realize it was this bad...LOL

You have the truck they way you want it and all the "bugs" are out of it.
Should have been around $11,723 US dollars.

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 17' with 88+ thousand all stock but the dreaded wranglers that came on it nothing but oil changes regularly gas and maintenance when needed and it may blow up the next time when I start it up but its been a great truck.