What is going on with my 2012 washer fluid pressure??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We had a bad winter storm and my washer fluid was working great. Then it got really cold and my low washer fluid light came on and washer fluid stopped. maybe it froze its a new truck for me so I'm not sure what was in there. I filled my washer fluid up with RainX orange stuff and it didn't seem to take a hole lot before it filled. From that moment on my washer spray has been weak after the new fill up. The pump still makes a high pitch sound like it has power, I'm assuming the pump seems good. How do you access the washer fluid container to drain the RainX, because i understand that's bad, and two potentially look for sludge that could have came from the bottom of the tank? Any other suggestions will be great. Do I access it from the grill or the top of hood?

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
These trucks (and Chrysler in general) are notorious for washer nozzles crumbling where the hose attaches. That is usually (but not always) the cause of reduced windshield washer pressure.

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Raise the hood, If the hood liner has white build up and what appears to be stalactites on it then most probable one or both nozzles are cracked/separated at the hoses. Easy repair and replacement.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Never ever use Rain-x washer fluid in a Ram

This shows a good way of accessing the fluid washer sensor
Pay attention to the bolt threads that you take out of the grill, 2 are for metal, 2 are for plastic

I strongly suggest that you cover your bumper with a cloth or use painters tape, so that you don't scratch it when you are pulling off the grille

Last edited:

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sounds like cracked nozzle. Open the hood and have someone spray while you watch. Small tug at nozzle connection might also reveal a break. This happened to mine when I hit it cleaning off snow. Just thought it was clogged but it was completely broke underneath.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Rain-x was hit with a lawsuit in 2015 that alleged the company did not warn consumers that the fluid was not compatible with certain vehicles, including all Chrysler corporation (RAM). It was dismissed, but that was just class action. but the science behind the issue was sound. My understanding is that the fluid does not allow the proper electrical flow from one sensor to the next in the tank, which gives the warning light and can reduce or eliminate flow. Of course not every sensor appears to be as sensitive so some may not have problems. Try emptying tank and remove to clean sensors. I would actually just replace to be sure no more problems as sensor could be messed up now. Good luck.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is interesting I never think about what wash fluid I dump in my truck figured it was all the same ****.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If the washer sprays onto your windshield & the water Beads up on the windshield, then the product that causes the beading, messes with the windshield washer tanks solenoid, it coats the contacts & will in most cases cause a light to appear on your EVIC.

If you have access to a suction device, suck as much of the fluid out of the windshield washer tank as you can.
There is almost a gallon in there.
or just take a long rod & tape a toothbrush to it & reach in the tank & brush the contacts of the solenoid & see if your dash light goes out

If the light goes out, that means that the solenoid is good & your fluid is Bad

Idaho Dave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
Purchased Rainex all Weather washer fluid and filled the reservoir. Sometime later was on a trip and it was getting low, topped it off with regular washer fluid, after a bit my washers wouldn't work, pulled the tank apart and low and behold the Rainex had turned to snot, so I guess it's not compatible with the standard washer fluid. Comments?